Traveler Returning?

so what does this actually mean

like, philosophically, in the abstract

is it just a more ominous way to say what goes around comes around

No, it’s rather specific actually. It’s gone into a lot more in Sunless Seas.

And I won’t spoil anymore…

I got every ending in Seas, including the East, and it still felt pretty ambiguous to me

It’s definitely ambiguous, and odd to insist that “the traveler is always returning” while also saying your captain will never return. I think it means that when the traveler arrives, they are actually returning because, in a way, they’ve already been there before. Every Traveler who goes East is returning to where others have been before. The journey is cyclical. (Perhaps literally, since it’s hinted that time is irregular, maybe even suspended, in the East. In this sunlit limbo, the traveler may always be present and always returning.)

Just did the One Last Voyage option in FL again and, as usual, I’m confused why the qualities that increase do. Considering where the voyage went, anyway. I guess I should play Sunless Sea to find out more about this phrase.

A reference to Italo Calvino’s Invisible cities, a postmodern novel which inspired Fallen London’s setting.
[color=rgb(24, 24, 24)]&quotArriving at each new city, the traveler finds again a past of his that he did not know he had: the foreignness of what you no longer are or no longer possess lies in wait for you in foreign, unpossessed places.&quot
[/color]