Trapped

[li]I seem to be at an impasse with my story’s progress. My stats are Watchful- (96+4) 100, Shadowy- (97+7) 104, Dangerous- (73+2) 75, Persuasive (89+2) 91. I have the Forgotten Quarter, The Shuttered Palace (which I haven’t been able to do ANYTHING in since opening it), Wolfstack Docks, The Flit and Mahogany Hall. I have not looked into opening the University or the Labyrinth of Tigers yet.
[li]I have a lot of stuff to do expeditions but nothing is letting me actually do the Tomb of the Seven (Making a Name is listed as the first thing in he Quarter for me). I can get supplies and do other little things, but I can’t seem to unlock an expedition itself. Wolfstack Docks had a thing or two for me to do until recently and now I’m stuck with that as well. I have plenty to do with Shadowy thanks to the Hall and my Ambition.
[li]Not really sure what else I can add but I’m not really sure why I’m so stuck either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For the expeditions, you need to grind the Archaeologist quality to 3 with other expeditions (Thieves Cache etc) before you will be able to set out for a Tomb of the Seven expedition.

Could you give more details about your Docks situation, please? Is there any Making Your Name stuff around?

For the Shuttered Palace, maybe you could try lowering your stats with a Talkative Rattus Faber to see whether any storylets show up? (Also, what’s your Name Written with a Fluorish value?) This used to be an issue with the Persuasive thing before Making Your Name-- I think many Shuttered Palace options used to disappear if one’s Persuasive is too high, but I believe it is fixed now. Still, I think that’s worth trying.

Also, don’t open the University yet because… (Look in spoilers if you’d like.)

You can get in free after you complete Tomb of Seven.

edited by Sestina Valdis on 12/16/2015

If you’ve opened areas by paying for them from your Lodgings, then you will probably have to do all the Making Your Name content before you can do much in any of them. All of it is clearly labelled Making Your Name: x, (well, except for the Court, but that issue doesn’t arise here). You should be more than able to breeze most of these stories once you put yourself to them. I’d also buy a bit more gear, but if you blew a lot of stuff on getting access to other places (Mahogany Hall is particularly stiff!), you might be too short of cash or cash-equivalents to do it. Nevertheless, don’t make the mistake of holding on to stuff in case you need it later. There are a few things it’s nice to have, but you can get them when you need them. Pets and equipment are much more valuable for their stat boosts than a lot of junk lying around.

– Mal

[li]I have no idea how to get Archaeologist up at all? I seem to have 1 but I don’t even know how I got that. Anything I do in the Forgotten Quarter just gives me items in abundence.
[li]Shuttered Palace had one storylet when I first opened it and it was to romance somebody (a man) if I remember correctly. My Name Signed With a Flourish is 2. I’ve been in Veil Garden trying to do things to up that but nothing is helping. Guess my Persuasive is too high?
[li]As for the Docks, the answer is no. I have a few options where I can only gamble, a Sunless Sea option I can’t do since I don’t have the game and I can call in favours. I also don’t have any connection to the Docks.

For Watchful / Forgotten Quarter: if you have Archaeologist 1 and can gather supplies, you should be able to gather 10 supplies and begin an Expedition to find a Thieves’ Cache. You need to do that Expedition until you reach Archaeologist 2, at which point you can do Thieves Cache or Shrine of a Deep Blue Heaven to reach Archaeologist 3, which is needed to do the Expedition for the Tomb of Seven.

At Name Signed With a Flourish 2 you need to publish a story from the Writer’s Desk in Veilgarden to continue with the Persuasive tracker. Be sure to use the “Make Your Name: Publish your Story” option once you have 40+ Potential and 10+ Manuscript pages; other short story options won’t increase Name Signed with a Flourish.

To open more stories in the Docks, you need to work on the Dangerous tracker (A Name Scrawled in Blood) and if there’s nothing in the Docks, you probably are at a lower level that requires you to do stuff in Watchmaker’s Hill or in your Lodgings (repelling an invasion of rats, fighting in the fighting rings on the Hill, or eradicating a Sorrow-Spider infestation).

[quote=heavensdark][li]I have no idea how to get Archaeologist up at all? I seem to have 1 but I don’t even know how I got that. Anything I do in the Forgotten Quarter just gives me items in abundence.
[/li][li]Shuttered Palace had one storylet when I first opened it and it was to romance somebody (a man) if I remember correctly. My Name Signed With a Flourish is 2. I’ve been in Veil Garden trying to do things to up that but nothing is helping. Guess my Persuasive is too high?
[/li][li]As for the Docks, the answer is no. I have a few options where I can only gamble, a Sunless Sea option I can’t do since I don’t have the game and I can call in favours. I also don’t have any connection to the Docks.[/quote][/li]

Getting Archaeologist 1 doesn’t require any expeditions, I believe. To get Archaeologist up you need to go to &quotEmbark on an Expedition&quot and gather supplies before you embark on an expedition. Completing it should up your Archaeologist quality a bit, so you’ll need to do a few to hit 3. The other options just give items, as you pointed out; they’re similar to the usual choices you’d get elsewhere and are not expeditions.

Ah, I think you need Making Your Name Persuasive 5 to do the Palace. At least Fei Xue’s qualities suggest that. So yep, I think you should look through Veilgarden. Do you happen to be at the point where you need to write a short story? You will have to complete the story to progress further with Making Your Name.

As for the docks, what’s your making your name: dangerous?

Edit: Metasynthie beat me to it, heh.

I actually have 25 crates/supplies already for an Expedition but I can’t get anything else to open up after that.

I managed to open up a bunch of stuff in the Docks just now actually.

I’ve published a story or three previously. I had 60+ potential and plenty of pages. I don’t remember it doing much for me.

[quote=heavensdark]I actually have 25 crates/supplies already for an Expedition but I can’t get anything else to open up after that.

I managed to open up a bunch of stuff in the Docks just now actually.

I’ve published a story or three previously. I had 60+ potential and plenty of pages. I don’t remember it doing much for me.[/quote]

Should be under Forgotten Quarter->Prepare for an Expedition in the Forgotten Quarter->Begin an Expedition and then you choose your desired destination and follow through with it. If you’re currently on an expedition already, then you can get back to it on the Messages tab of the interface. 25 should be enough to access this chain and get one of the locations that Metasynthie was talking about, which will let you up your Archaeologist quality.

Good to hear about the docks!

Sorry if this sounds a bit repetitive or condescending-- not my intention at all-- but could I check if you’ve published the stories under the Making Your Name option that Metasynthie talked about? That one is the only short story option that will advance your Making Your Name for Persuasive. The rest will give you the short story as a reward, but will not advance Making Your Name. Also, that one requires a minimum of 40 potential and 10 pages (based on memory), and anything more doesn’t give additional rewards.

Okay, think I got it. I’ll give the Making a Name in Veil Garden another try and see what happens. Thank you everybody.

One thing about the expeditions is that I believe now the lowest level one, the Thieves’ Cache, now requires you to have a Favours: Criminals. If you don’t have any it could look like all the expeditions are unavailable to you.

I JUST finished struggling VERY hard to get through the expeditions… so I feel your pain… but it CAN be done…

You do, that was why I couldn’t do that. I’m not really sure how to up my Favour with them other than a couple cards I will get here and there.

[li]

You can improve Favours: Criminals at the Carnival, as with other connections. (Provided your Renown is not above 5, then you’ll just have to keep flipping cards)

– Mal

Back to the Making Your Name: Publish a Story, I got the potential up to 50 and had almost 100 pages. I managed to succeed in publishing a compelling story but all it did was raise my Making Waves from 4 to 6 and never raised the Writing Your Name With a Flourish trait at all. What did I do wrong?

You need this specific option to progress.

Any option that says “potentially…” (acceptable, competent, compelling) will NOT work to raise Making Your Name. There’s only one that works, and it’s the one that Sara linked. Also, please send an e-mail to support@failbettergames.com telling them that you got stuck making the wrong kind of short story more than once; this whole storylet still needs fixing, and the other story options probably shouldn’t appear alongside the Making Your Name option, it’s just too confusing. A dozen people have reported getting them mixed up in this forum alone.