Trade -early game

[quote=WormApotheote][quote=Galdis]

Trade encourages exploration. You have to find the good routes. Furthermore, I don’t see why stories can’t be woven into trade routes and relationships - either through legal trade relations or illicit smuggling.
edited by Galdis on 7/29/2014[/quote]
That’s literally in the game already though. (Cursorily, I mean the smuggling could use a lot more depth, and there’s only a small number of options at this point, but also less than half the content is actually in the game at this point)[/quote]

Exactly.

[li]

I assume this is from an earlier version of the game, but ever since gold I’ve been turning a tidy profit on my trade route Shepards-corsaiers-priciples-palmerson-whither-venderblight, Leaving with wine and bandaged vagabonds and returning with devilbone dice and sistilac. It’s important to remember 1.You only need enough fuel to get to mt.Palmerson, it’s cheaper there then in London anyway. 2. Tomb colonists give 15 per cargo space, so it’s worth hauling them all the way to one side of the map and back. 3. Your goods are only going to costs, the admiral and any story hooks you pick up are where your profit is going to come from. Learn which storylets are profitable or move the story along, and go with those. If all goes poorly and I find nothing profitable, I’m still up 70 echos or so. If all goes well, I can find myself with 600 or so.

Read this post, read my previous post, do it: get rich. If you go by mt. Palmerston, try to buy as much fuel there as you can. Every fuel you buy there saves you 1 echo. Over 5 trips this could easily save you more than 100 echoes, depending on what engine you run.

The biggest bucks are in hunting monsters, lifebergs and Mt Nomad in particular.

To be fair I have to admit that I had to run through a whole dynasty of Zee-captains before I figured all these things out.

Read this post, read my previous post, do it: get rich. If you go by mt. Palmerston, try to buy as much fuel there as you can. Every fuel you buy there saves you 1 echo. Over 5 trips this could easily save you more than 100 echoes, depending on what engine you run.

The biggest bucks are in hunting monsters, lifebergs and Mt Nomad in particular.

To be fair I have to admit that I had to run through a whole dynasty of Zee-captains before I figured all these things out.[/quote]

Lifeburgs are… discouraging, to say the least. However, there is a trick to fighting them;

They can only hit you if you are closer then 50 yards. Flee is faster then seek, and as fast as smell fear. If you flee twice for every other action, and flee twice at the beginning of the fight, there is nothing they can do to harm you.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Holy broken tags, batman!
edited by bytyan on 7/30/2014
edited by bytyan on 7/30/2014

[li]you grind for bucks by running super-circuits that take you to as many distant ports as possible, killing what can be killed, ducking what can’t, and following whatever special events or missions come your way.

the game’s incomplete but you can see some bones of opportunity to come. the shelves in London’s docks are stocked with lots of goods that will undoubtedly serve some purpose in the final version, otherwise they would not be there. just don’t expect it to come ‘easy’. maybe somebody’s hankering for a few bags of coffee … but they’re plunk on the far side of perdition, and you’ll burn 10 fuel, 5 food, and rack up GOK how many terror points before making port. not a casual trip, and not something you’d run purely for the goods.

that said, traveling half the Unterzee to a distant major port only to find they don’t trade for nothing but fuel, fish sticks, and #2 lead pencils on a 10% margin with London is weird. unless there’s a major point to having those pencils, might as well just ditch 'em from the game entirely and scrub the shelves of all the clickable deadwood. and if they only help to complete one storyline, then it makes sense for them to be findable only in a couple off-London locales, so you can’t just rely on London to cover all your missing mission necessities.