Tomb Colonists

I have a few questions about the tomb colonists. I get the basic gist of them, that they are people who died, but who’s bodies are still dead and that they are shipped off to the tomb colonies to get rid of them, but I would like to know a little more about them. Are there tomb colonists from the other cities still around and how common are they? I pretty sure that they are second class citizens barely above rubbery men. Is this true? Any other information about the tomb colonists would be helpful and appreciated.

The bodies aren’t dead. They are just severely wounded. There are some from previous cities (I can only think of 3, so they are pretty rare)
They are looked down upon I think. Death is the only fear In a city of immortals, and tomb colonists are reminders that death exists.
There are two options when a tomb colonists body gets too old and starts breaking down. They can enter the grand sanatorium, and wait to rot away, or choose an infestation that will likely kill them, but perhaps preserve something.
edited by suinicide on 8/14/2016

Thanks for the clearing up.

As a tomb-colonist, I can probably shed some light on the situation.
Tomb-Colonist culture is different from London culture, the Tomb-colonies form an independent territory that has been around for a very long time. Up in the Tomb-Colonies you’ll find remnants and knowledge from the other cities, and ancient artifacts, as well as a lot of hijinks. I’m pretty sure that the oldest known colony, Xibalba dates back to the second city. The Tomb-Colonies are pretty boring, so the colonists spend their time dueling and drinking poisonous substances.

As Suinicide stated, a Tomb-colonist eventually becomes too old and withered to live normally. These colonists go to the Grand Sanatorium, a giant and very old complex with thousands of rotting mummies slowly going insane, many of them being too decomposed to even move or talk. Other Tomb-Colonists contract emergence, a sort of disease where a giant frost-moth hatches from their chest. Emergence is lethal.

Some may think Tomb-Colonists are immortal. They are in fact as mortal as any Londoner. Most of them are just old enough to have trained one or several martial arts making them tough to fight.

Tomb-Colonists aren’t necessarily second-class citizens. In fact, many of them are (in)famous, wealthy, or both (the Mercies come to mind). Many people DO find them weird, mind. Mostly because they don’t have social sensibilities what with being very old and very bored all the time.

If you want any specific details, go ahead. I’m fairly well-versed on the Colonists/colonies.

Wouldn’t that particular colony date back to the Third City, not the Second? The mythological place it’s named after lacks any Egyptian connections.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 8/14/2016

This Tomb-Colony is named after Mayan mythology, so, Third City for sure.

Tomb Colonists dress suspiciously like Egyptian mummies, so I always thought the tradition dated back to the second city.

Nah, it’s just so the bits don’t drop off.

Xibalba was certainly present during the second city, as its the Tomb-Colony where

Mr. Candles was drowned as part of becoming Mr. Eaten As far as I’m aware it HAS to date back to the 2nd city for this to make sense.
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 8/15/2016

The Second City was where the Bazaar and Masters were trapped, and they gave up Mr Candles to escape. I’m pretty sure the drowning and devouring happened as part of the deal for the Third City - it doesn’t have any hints of being sold for love like the others.

I was doing the watchful case (in the university) and the victim was to be shipped to the tomb colonies. I don’t no if this helps at all.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]Xibalba was certainly present during the second city, as its the Tomb-Colony where

Mr. Candles was drowned as part of becoming Mr. Eaten As far as I’m aware it HAS to date back to the 2nd city for this to make sense.
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 8/15/2016[/quote]

Well, I don’t doubt that there are Tomb-Colonies since the First City even, but the Tomb-Colony where the spoiler happens couldn’t be called Xibalba before the Third City. Maybe it was a regular Second City tomb-colony, and then it was renamed later, when the third-citers dominated it.

[quote=Professor Strix]
Well, I don’t doubt that there are Tomb-Colonies since the First City even, but the Tomb-Colony where the spoiler happens couldn’t be called Xibalba before the Third City. Maybe it was a regular Second City tomb-colony, and then it was renamed later, when the third-citers dominated it.[/quote]

The meaning of the name ‘Xibalba’ is interesting, and suggests that the above is correct: the Neath’s version was so-called because of what had happened there. It needn’t have been a Tomb-Colony beforehand - probably certain events turned it into a Tomb-Colony. An extremely unpopular one.

I get the impression that they generally wear clothes over the top, though. It’s a nice touch that since one bandaged, desiccated figure looks much like the next, Tomb-Colonists – at least those who can afford it – might take a special interest in fashion. So few revenants bother make the most of themselves.

[quote=Vexpont][quote=Professor Strix]
Well, I don’t doubt that there are Tomb-Colonies since the First City even, but the Tomb-Colony where the spoiler happens couldn’t be called Xibalba before the Third City. Maybe it was a regular Second City tomb-colony, and then it was renamed later, when the third-citers dominated it.[/quote]

The meaning of the name ‘Xibalba’ is interesting, and suggests that the above is correct: the Neath’s version was so-called because of what had happened there. It needn’t have been a Tomb-Colony beforehand - probably certain events turned it into a Tomb-Colony. An extremely unpopular one.

I get the impression that they generally wear clothes over the top, though. It’s a nice touch that since one bandaged, desiccated figure looks much like the next, Tomb-Colonists – at least those who can afford it – might take a special interest in fashion. So few revenants bother make the most of themselves.[/quote]
The fashion part is certainly true. In Sunless sea when taking Colonists on their last tour you can have them dress up in new bandages at Polythreme or Irem, don’t remember which one.