The Writer's Desk

I’ve just started on my first story. How’s everybody else on it?

I’ve been tip-tapping on my Ornate Typewriter - getting a nice big stack of pages to then edit down!

I’m guessing maybe other forms of story will start with higher Potential values or something. This is pretty cool so far! And also the first time i’ve ever actually used that ornate typewriter for anything woop

I haven’t done very much yet, but i love the tone of the storylets so far.

So how does the progress go for a story? Is it worth to spend my stack of Favors that I go grinding persuasive in parties?

So having an Ornate Typewriter helps? Guess I’m buying mine back.

Having an Ornate Typewriter helps A LOT.

Does the Ornate Typewriter option only show itself if you have one, or am I overlooking something?

Sending manuscript requests to people is a really great way to get potential, by the way. 3 potential for the more persuasive person, 12 for the less persuasive
although it does seem sorta luck-based, seeing as i organised with a friend to get the biggest stat gap possible with equipment (which was 57) and i still got the “less persuasive” result
edited by Spacemarine9 on 3/20/2013

Only appears if you have one.

Only appears if you have one.[/quote]

But having the Typewriter option helps quite a lot. I’ve just published my first Competent Short Story!

[quote=Spacemarine9]Sending manuscript requests to people is a really great way to get potential, by the way. 3 potential for the more persuasive person, 12 for the less persuasive
although it does seem sorta luck-based, seeing as i organised with a friend to get the biggest stat gap possible with equipment (which was 57) and i still got the “less persuasive” result[/quote]
I am assuming that this is a Competitive social act, as recently introduced in StoryNexus with Gleam. This means that the inviter is making a check vs. a difficulty level equal to the invitee’s quality level.

Assuming this check also uses the Broad difficulty system with a scaling factor > 0.5, that means that the inviting character has a significant advantage on the check.

If, for example, this uses a 0.68 scaling factor, then a 180 Persuasive character inviting a 130 Persuasive character has a 94% chance of success on the check, but would have only a 49% chance of success if the 130 Persuasive character were the one making the invitation.

It’s certainly possible that this storylet could use a different scaling factor than the rest of FL, but unless/until we find out that’s the case, you’re going to want to make sure that the character you want to lose the check is the one receiving the invitation.

I’ve decided to go for broke straight away and spend everything I have obtaining a classic piece of literature. This may take me a while.

if i’m abusing math correctly i think you could get a classic piece in like 16-17 actions from start to finish, but only if you paid your way with 12.5 echo items at 100% success chance (which isn’t really possible to achieve i think, maybe if you used a mood) or get the 12-potential option every time from social actions

im not entirely sure though, i’m not so great at these Numbers Things people call “mathematics”

I take it most posters on this thread won’t mind if I send them social manuscript invites?

I must have missed this. What and where is it?

Potential via social actions caps at 110, alas! But a good way to get up to that amount, given that it doesn’t eat up any resources.

apparently getting ideas from other people will only take you up to 110 if you get the 12-potential thing, while the 3 potential thing can take you beyond that

v0v
that does sort of ruin my plans for speeding to classic works, oh well. guess im shellin out favours in high places and blackmail material

Veilgarden - Literary Ambitions

Veilgarden - Literary Ambitions