The Treachery of Pop-Ups?

I’m not sure if this is a site-wide thing, or something that’s just affecting me for whatever reason. But recently I’ve noticed a new Exceptional Story alert pop up in my Fallen London browser…only for it to be for an Exceptional Story from previous months, if not years. Genuinely not sure if it’s a glitch, or just a global reminder about the existence of these stories.

Has anyone else been similarly affected? I’d like to note I did not receive an alert for the Totentanz story (though I did find and successfully play through it on my browser).

Yeah, it happens. I don’t think it’s new, either. When I log in, I will occasionally get pop-ups for a Festival that closed a few weeks previous or an ES a few months out-of-date.

This has happened for years. It’s annoying but harmless.

I saw one quite recently on my alt. Sometime in the last week. I haven’t been playing so much over Easter and not the alt at all (houseguests, very busy) so I vaguely wondered if it was inactivity related.

The page tracks in your browser which popup you’ve most recently dismissed, and if it’s not the latest one, then the latest one gets shown. So if you haven’t logged in for a while, you’ll probably see the latest one, even if it’s kind of old.

Also, if you have seen the latest one, but then someone at FBG deletes that one (possibly because it was about a limited-time event like the Crab Hunt and showing it after the end of the event would be misleading), then the next-latest one will become the latest, and since it’s not the one you most recently dismissed, you’ll see it again.

And of course clearing browser data may cause it to lose track of whether you’ve seen the latest one or not. And apparently last week there was some kind of bug that caused a bunch of people to see notifications that were older than the latest one, but that’s probably a one-off occurrence.

[quote=PJ]

Also, if you have seen the latest one, but then someone at FBG deletes that one (possibly because it was about a limited-time event like the Crab Hunt and showing it after the end of the event would be misleading), then the next-latest one will become the latest, and since it’s not the one you most recently dismissed, you’ll see it again. [/quote]

That may be the theory, but in the real world, FB showed me a Rose pop-up long after the feast was done and dusted.