The Stone Tentacle Key

Depends on what boat you want.

First you’ll need to get some paperwork done (Bazaar Permit, Personal Recommendation, Legal Document). Then you’ll need to get some supplies (Cellar of Wine, Collated Research, Whirring Contraption). After that you’ll need to get a crew together (2 Strong-Backed Labour), and then you pick your ship.

The Rusty Tramp Steamer costs 100 Relics of the Third City.

The Swift Zee-Clipper costs either 1 Legal Document and 13 Use of Villains or 2 Legal Documents and 12 Use of Villains.

The Zubmarine requires 20 Strong-Backed Labour, 7 Bejewelled Lenses, and 30 Whirring Contraptions.

The Yacht is a luck/Watchful/Persuasive challenge that requires 5 Comprehensive Bribes, 5 Favours in High Places, 5 Cellars of Wine, and 5000 Deep Amber. If you lose you’ll lose 1/5 of your stake, and if you don’t have your Masters Connection at 3 you’ll need to either get it up there or spend 10 Touching Love Stories.

Any of the ships will bring you where you need/want to go, so it’s best to save getting a better ship for later.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/29/2013

Wow, thats quite the investment. I’m still working my way up to a gang of hoodlums and clay sedan chair. Do you have to do the paperwork, crew, and supplies step if you want to upgrade later?

Nope, you skip straight to picking your ship again.

Correction: If you fail on the Yacht, you lose 1/5 of your stake, not half.

…why did I write half? Yes, you’re completely right.

[quote=Sara Hysaro]
The Rusty Tramp Steamer costs 100 Relics of the Third City.

The Swift Zee-Clipper costs either 1 Legal Document and 13 Use of Villains or 2 Legal Documents and 12 Use of Villains.

The Zubmarine requires 20 Strong-Backed Labour, 7 Bejewelled Lenses, and 30 Whirring Contraptions.

The Yacht is a luck/Watchful/Persuasive challenge that requires 5 Comprehensive Bribes, 5 Favours in High Places, 5 Cellars of Wine, and 5000 Deep Amber. If you lose you’ll lose 1/5 of your stake, and if you don’t have your Masters Connection at 3 you’ll need to either get it up there or spend 10 Touching Love Stories.[/quote]

Does the Zubmarine offer more options, since it can go underwater?

Are there particular differences/advantages to getting each ship?

All the expensive ships unlock options on the cards you’ll draw. For the most part the Zubmarine focuses on safety, the Clipper focuses on speed, and the Yacht focuses on items. All three will unlock safe options on cards that would normally be luck based (Clipper and Yacht having 1 such option while the Zubmarine has 2).

I can’t speak too much about the Yacht since I don’t have an account with one yet, but the Swift Zee-Clipper is probably the best ship for actually Zailing. The other two offer a stat to compensate (Respectable +2 for the Yacht, Bizarre +1 for the Zubmarine), and sometimes you just have to go for the ship that feels right for your character.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/29/2013

I’ve got a yacht, its card doesn’t give any extra progress but it is fun and slightly scandalous. I think it might be the hardest of the three to get because of that gamble at the end. I think it took me three attempts before I finally got it.

Different question: if I use up the key in my ambition, will I get another when I go back to the Keep (since that appears to enable a rather profitable part of the grind there)?

Yes you can get another Key when you go back to Hunter’s Keep.