The Stone Tentacle Key

So, Be honest my friends…

Am I doomed to wait until the incredibly distant day that I manage to purchase a boat before I can get this Confounded key which seems to be the only reasonable way to continue on with my Ambition for the greatest card game in the world?

Because I have been trying - for FOUR WEEKS mind you - To get one single Fire Sermon dream card and have not seen a single one. And I need enough of them to rise to level 5 on the subject not to mention all the OTHER dreams.

The key seems to be the only reasonable way to pay off that confounded Innkeep.

So - are any other means available to me?

Poor timing, old horse - the other way would be to receive at least four Christmas gifts (at least because sometimes they break while opening) and trade them to the Duchess for a grab-bag of rare goodies, including the Key. Mr Sacks has departed for this year, though, so unless you already got all four artefacts and haven’t turned them in yet, you may have to just wait and hope for dreams. Four weeks is not necessarily a long time in the Neath, when drawing cards is concerned.

Drat, Stuffit, Botheration and FIE!

No other Ambition has this kind of story wall! An item you cant get, save for Fate spending during one holiday out of the year, until the absolute end game or a stack of dreams you may never ever see! I’d rather give him the 5000 Brass, but that doesnt work!

What absolutely terrible story / game design.

Is there any way to exchange Queer Parcels between players? Because I currently have three (and a Knot name), but I didn’t even bother opening them 'cause I read they’re mostly useless unless they’re at least 4 (and even then, only being VERY lucky, managing to ope each one without breaking it), so I decided to keep them for eventual, future use (next Christmas, probably). But then, if any Marveller needs them, I couldn’t be more happy to give them, maybe in exchange for help when I’ll be at that time of the research (I’m a Marveller too, but I’m quite at the beginning - just made acquaintance with the most pleasant Topsy King).

Also: spoiler[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]I read there’s a chance to find a Stone Tentacle-Key with a Dangerous check in Hunter’s Keep. Does anybody know the difficulty of that check?[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]spoiler
[/color][/color]
edited by streetfelineblue on 1/9/2012

Hunter’s Keep was already mentioned, he said he didn’t want to wait until he could cross the sea.

[quote=Mr. James Rayner]
No other Ambition has this kind of story wall! [/quote]

A slight spoiler for all the Ambitions follows.

Around that level all Ambitions will require the Stone Tentacle-key. It just happened ever-so-slightly earlier in Heart’s Desire. The Ambitions are intended to be played across the entire course of your career in Fallen London. They’re paced in such a way as to regularly require access to a new parts of the city or certain items, to ensure that people don’t burn through them in an unsatisfying few weeks. Congratulations on advancing your Ambition so rapidly, but at the stage you’re at, the story of the Marvellous can’t be contained by the Fifth City. It involves a broadening of horizons, either to distant shores or strange dreams.

He doesn’t want, but maybe I’ll do in due time. What I don’t know (and was curious about) is the difficulty of the check. Does anybody know?

It’s a Dangerous challenge, about 125.

It’s a Dangerous challenge, about 125.[/quote]

Thank you very much! Hmm… I wonder if I should start hoarding Nightmares right now ^^"
edited by streetfelineblue on 1/9/2012

I’m in the same situation as you. I’ve been hoarding dreams for a couple of months and I still have a long way to go before I have enough to pay the man. I don’t even want to give them away, really, because I’d like to experience those storylets and I don’t want to have such a huge setback by giving away all my progress to the innkeeper. I’m also many months away from any chance at getting a stone tentacle-key, but it would seem that’s what I have to do.

As I mentioned above (Granted, I wasn’t logged in), I’d like to manage to get my hands on the key before getting banished from the court. From spoilers I’ve read, it seems the manager appreciates the key far more than the nightmares, (Plus that seems to be the only use for the key…), but I also want to get banished from court in the most awesome way possible.

I basically just need to put off my final masterpiece and focus on other things to bump my persuasive up to 100, then I should be more or less fine to work on getting a ship and then the key, right?

In my experience it’s really not that bad leaving your ambition on hold for a while, ambitions are very interesting storylines (and I do hope the others will be playable after your main ambition has been completed, even if it requires a bit of fate), but they remain incomplete at the moment and you will advance in them far faster than new content will be written for them I’m afraid. Take it from someone who has reached the current content cap: it’s much more satisfying knowing that it’s there waiting for you, when you get to it, than restlessly pining for the day when more ambition content is released. I sware, sometimes the longing gets so bad that if I hadn’t all this other wonderful content to frolic about in I might not be able to sleep a wink (okay, maybe that’s a slight overstatement, but I am on the edge of my seat for what happens next).

There’s no need to rush this ambition [color=#ffffff]as it currently ends shortly after this much discussed step. Can’t wait for FB to add more content to it :)[/color]

It’s expensive getting even the most common ship and takes a lot of adventures to go to Hunter’s Keep, then a lot more to get the key and go back, but it’s a very profitable expedition that’s probably worth the investment. Plus there’s no real reward for getting to the end of Heart’s Desire yet; the only useful item from that ambition is the worthless monkey from way back at the beginning.
A ship is much easier to get than the coins were.
edited by Unguided on 1/13/2012

Mr. James, I am in much the same boat as you, so to speak. I’ve actually [color=#ffffff] gotten into court and written the incendiary opera. Noticed that the action to finish the job and get kicked out of court has an option to perform Tristan’s opera, which I haven’t gotten to yet. [/color] Now, I did all of that in court so that I could get through Person of Some Little Consequence in the hopes that I can get the boat and find the key, since it’s taken me three months to get to where I am now. I’ve got all the necessary components to pay the man with my dreams besides Fire Sermon and a Memory of Light, but I know precisely where to get them. They just won’t show up!

Aie, I was SO unhappy when my generous brass donation didn’t pan out the way I’d hoped.

[quote=JetAngel]Mr. James, I am in much the same boat as you, so to speak. I’ve actually [color=#ffffff] gotten into court and written the incendiary opera. Noticed that the action to finish the job and get kicked out of court has an option to perform Tristan’s opera, which I haven’t gotten to yet. [/color] Now, I did all of that in court so that I could get through Person of Some Little Consequence in the hopes that I can get the boat and find the key, since it’s taken me three months to get to where I am now. I’ve got all the necessary components to pay the man with my dreams besides Fire Sermon and a Memory of Light, but I know precisely where to get them. They just won’t show up!

Aie, I was SO unhappy when my generous brass donation didn’t pan out the way I’d hoped.[/quote]

It could be worse, the note that it wouldn’t work was added well after that storylet was originally in place, replacing text that implied that showering him with enough brass might do the trick. Alas, that was not the case, given I showered him with enough to replace all the furnishings in the Royal Bethlehem.

Eventually I got a boat (a very fine one, won in a card game as befits one of my standing and pursuits), and resolved to find that blasted key.

I suppose I should mention that the key can now be gained by a watchful challenge at Hunter’s Keep, as well as a dangerous one. I was certainly relieved when I found that out: I thought my whole journey had been for nothing.

The Key just got its own sidebar text:

A Stone Tentacle Key?
&quotWhere there’s a mysterious key, there’s a mysterious-er door…&quot
No one in London knows where this key is. Or at least, no one who knows is telling. And anyway, this doesn’t stop them talking. They say that the one man who knew where it was just vanished one night, along with his boat. They say he was probably eaten by a zee-monster. They say that pirates might have scuppered him out of spite. Some of them say he had already hidden the key before he died. One or two of them say that he sold it to a mad king in Polythreme who gave it to his youngest daughter for safekeeping before being eaten by a Stone Pig. It’s probably safe to discount those ones.
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

Well I finally finished all the current Light fingers ambition storylets. Guess I better get the key while I’m out on the Zee.

So if we want to get the stone key, how much work is it to actually get a boat?