The Sober Showman's Exhibition in Adam's Way, OP?

By using both recent news or Palmerston report, you can go to Adam’s Way and get x200 fragment’s in a ‘day.’ I houserule myself on this and have stopped using the Exhibition, because it is simply so good compared to everything else in the Underzee. The next best straightforward way to get secrets I’ve found is Mangrove College, which requires collecting 7x stories of the zee etc. for essentially the same reward as a day in Adam’s Way (about 200 net fragments).

Buying a secret in Irem costs 1k echos, so you could think of Adam’s way as trading a Palmerston report or recent news for about 700 echos.

A balancing method other than making the Exhibitions a limited number of visits is have it increase terror by more than a miniscule 1, perhaps 15 or so. Although really the Exhibition is sort of like a carnival spectacle, so to me it doesn’t make sense lore-wise as a secret generator. More a tale of horror etc. dispenser.

I’m guessing there’s other rewards in the game that needs balancing, until then I’ll have to purposely avoid them to not make the game easy :).
edited by Levgre on 3/28/2015
edited by Levgre on 3/29/2015

I don’t see why it needs balancing. Adam’s Way is usually far out of the way from anywhere else I want to go.

Really? It’s been a staple in many of my runs. I essentially circle the map clockwise, and don’t really tend to hit the middle areas until after I’ve circled round to Adam’s way - the exceptions being if I can quickly hit Polythreme or the Khanate easily as part of the big loop.

My favorite method is to park next to Iron Republic, greet my fears every time SAY resets and see how many secrets I can assemble before high-Terror random events wipe my crew out.

Really? It’s been a staple in many of my runs. I essentially circle the map clockwise, and don’t really tend to hit the middle areas until after I’ve circled round to Adam’s way - the exceptions being if I can quickly hit Polythreme or the Khanate easily as part of the big loop.[/quote]

Same, it’s near my London -> Port Carnelian -> Polythreme route (Mushroom Wine to Port, Sapphires to Polythreme).

I’ve not been doing the surface sunlight/coffee route, although I just went to the Empire of Hands with the 50 Wine I was carrying for Carnelian, had only traded piecemeal wine there before.

That seems also a good a get rich quick scheme. I could carry 70 wine a shipment (say 40 fuel and 10 supplies, rebuy supplies in the Empire), which is 1610 echo profit, buy each wine for 21 sell coffee for 44). Significantly more profit and convenience than repeating Venderbight tours, even though on this map Empire of Hands is nearly as far from London as possible. I think there should be a limit, after so much wine I don’t think the apes could focus enough to work on the Zeppelin.

More efficient to turn that coffee into parabola-linen, that makes it say 60 times (60-21) = 2340 echo profit.

This doesn’t sound like a problem. Palmerston and London are both more or less on the other side of the map from Adam’s Way, you can only carry one of each item, and the third option is a (very) rare drop from zee-monsters (and a handful of shore events). You could manage two of these per round trip (3+ if you get a lucky drop, but it’s too rare to factor in), regardless of cargo space. Compare this to the (now nerfed) option in Visage that used to give you 310 fragments per SAY, with no entry requirements. Getting fragments from Adam’s Way requires you to journey around the zee and visit other places, spend resources, etc. It’s a nice reward, not remotely overpowered.

Also, unless you’ve maxed your Pages or come into the story with a few fragments already accumulated, the second run will waste fragments. (Maxed Pages would, I think, give you 1 secret per visit regardless of previous fragments).
edited by Olorin on 3/30/2015

[li]Seriously – going all the way from Fallen London (in the west) to Palmerstone’s Reach (in the north) way back down to Adam’s Way (in the south) for what’s roughly half a secret does not seem OP. It seems like more work than just getting the thousand echoes for the secret.

Or you could kill lorn flukes.

or kill the Elder Crabs in the East - they give 180 fragments and 3 hunting trophies when you examine them. Though I do think Lorn Flukes are easier and 3 secrets are better than any number of fragments.

Yeah, Flukes’ reward is the OP one. I’d rather it be a secret ‘s worth of fragments, while three secrets’ worth of fragmens be the beheMoth’s reward, which is currently kinda underwhelming given their rarity and outta-the-way spawn locations.

Well that’s normally not how people play the game, normally you have routes and visit each location periodically. Compared to other port stops, 200 or 400 easy fragments, along with some other goodies like stories of horror, is incredible value. It’s also great value compared to other repeatable Adam’s Way activities. I agree it’s not game breaking because you can’t repeat it quickly. [/li]

[quote=Levgre]By using both recent news or Palmerston report, you can go to Adam’s Way and get x200 fragment’s in a ‘day.’ I houserule myself on this and have stopped using the Exhibition, because it is simply so good compared to everything else in the Underzee. The next best straightforward way to get secrets I’ve found is Mangrove College, which requires collecting 7x stories of the zee etc. for essentially the same reward as a day in Adam’s Way (about 200 net fragments).

Buying a secret in Irem costs 1k echos, so you could think of Adam’s way as trading a Palmerston report or recent news for about 700 echos.

A balancing method other than making the Exhibitions a limited number of visits is have it increase terror by more than a miniscule 1, perhaps 15 or so. Although really the Exhibition is sort of like a carnival spectacle, so to me it doesn’t make sense lore-wise as a secret generator. More a tale of horror etc. dispenser.

I’m guessing there’s other rewards in the game that needs balancing, until then I’ll have to purposely avoid them to not make the game easy :).
edited by Levgre on 3/29/2015[/quote]

If you wanna powergame it (or have hit a point where all you need now is more levels/secrets) you buy ivory, sell in Whither for terror tales, buy Zee stories in Irem, take the Mt palmerston report + recent news to Adam’s way, but making sure to NOT level up, and using all those fragments (and Ztories) at the College.