The shadowy trail hit a brick wall

My basic problem is that I don’t know how am I supposed to follow the shadowy path anymore. Not much to do in Flit or Spite and I don’t see any areas dedicated to shadowy quality.

I have POSI, Master Thief 6

Stats (unmodified) are as follows:
Watchful 105
Shadowy 71
Dangerous 86
Persuasive 89
My items can increase any of the above by 30 to 40. I also have a ship and a rare card for +30 hat if that matters.

Am I missing something here?

mahogany hall and wilmot’s end have some shadowy options. after flit there is no dedicated area for shadowy. most stats are similar for areas. after second areas, the ares are mixed between stats.

[quote=Borbali]My basic problem is that I don’t know how am I supposed to follow the shadowy path anymore. Not much to do in Flit or Spite and I don’t see any areas dedicated to shadowy quality.

I have POSI, Master Thief 6

Stats (unmodified) are as follows:
Watchful 105
Shadowy 71
Dangerous 86
Persuasive 89
My items can increase any of the above by 30 to 40. I also have a ship and a rare card for +30 hat if that matters.

Am I missing something here?[/quote]

I’m not sure about what you’re asking.

Anyway, if you just want to raise the Name Whispered in Darkness quality, you’ll have to either do a heist to rob Concord Square RecordOffice (5 -> 6) or go to the Heights of Chicanery storylet, raise either Seeking or Investigating to 5 and use the option unlocked until you get enough RARE successes to raise the Embroiled in the wars of Illusion quality to 2 (I think you’ll need 3 rare successes or so), then follow the Wars of Illusion storylet.

If you want to raise Shadowy, your best option is getting the Gang of Hoodlums Affiliation, then grind Casing in the Flit and sell it to other thieves for +10 CP of Shadowy.

Have you finished the Affair of the Box? That’s the last big shadowy story iirc.

Only slightly. After The Heights of Chicanery storylet in the Flit, as Bertrand Lyndon described (the one that unlocks once you have Heisted the Constables’ record office on Concord Square, which sadly you can only do once, and which leads into The Wars of Illusion), the methods known to me are:

1. Ask for a Shadowy patron, here.

2. Again, already mentioned by Kaijyuu, but once you’ve got sufficient progress in Mahogany Hall, the paused story of the Affair of the Box will re-open, and later shift to Spite, where you’ll need modified Shadowy 120 to pursue it. Playing through all this will raise your Shadowy quite a bit – especially if you make sure you’re always in the sweet spot to gain 2 points of Shadowy per success – and it’s a content-heavy storyline.

3. To raise Shadowy as you go, it’s worthwhile familiarising yourself with all Shadowy ways of raising Dramatic Tension and using this to get obscure-ish stuff you happen to need. DT is used to progress 3 different carousels in London (2 in Wilmot’s End: Doing Business in Wilmot’s End & Searching out a Missing Woman; 1 in the Flit and Forgotten Quarter: War of Assassins), but it transfers seamlessly between any of them before you cash it in. Doing Business in Wilmot’s End is by far the most Shadowy-intensive way to gain DT. Searching out a Missing Woman doesn’t use it, weirdly enough, and War of Assassins only uses it in a few places.

All payoffs from raising Dramatic Tension

All Doing Business in Wilmot’s End choices
All Searching out a Missing Woman choices
All War of Assassins choices

So if, for example, you wanted to get the Irregular Scholar’s Library, you’ll need 5 Legal Documents, which is a tedious grind for Wild Words items using mostly Dangerous and/or Watchful – or a rather faster grind in Wilmot’s End, using Shadowy and the Doing Business in Wilmot’s End carousel. Or if you’re after a zubmarine, you’ll need (among other things) a cool 20 Whirring Contraptions, which are a Searching out a Missing Woman reward – but you can build up DT (and Shadowy) using Doing Business, so once DT reaches 2, you’ll only need to complete the Missing Woman storylet once per Contraption. A comparative bargain.

1. When this starts getting to you, you could do Black Wings Absinthe shooters. Preferably with either a very good friend, or a very wicked one you can reliably blackmail.

Heists are good for 20CP of Shadowy at their conclusion: this isn’t a very efficient method without a Gang of Hoodlums (and less efficient without a 5 Card lodging) but Heists I find are fun and somewhat profitable.

Have a read at the first post here and you should be able to skill efficiently up to 130.
That was the path that I used which was followed by heists with gang and a 4 card lodgings. They offer a great EPA once you get used to them and 20 CP bonus (+2) aren’t bad at all.
Use a gang, go to the Topsy King and use another 1 AP action there to raise Casing (you need to start the story, but never finish it), purchase one Inside Information and you’re good to go! Probably get 1-2 more Information or an Escape Route the first time(s) if you have 0 experience with heists.
If you’re only after fast skilling sell the Casing obtained with Gang.
Slower and less risk are the carousel others mentioned above.

Wish you good luck!
edited by Skinnyman on 5/15/2017

Very useful information there, thank you very much, friends!

P.S.
Speaking of friends, feel free to send me a card, you might get a sack of rats as a welcome gift. maybe.
edited by Borbali on 5/15/2017