The Rat Market

Still waiting on a big week to cash out rat-market sellables for fabulous diamonds or anything else that’s good for the scrip grind. Now that I have cider that’s pretty much it for me, rostygold and bazaar sellables are no good since I want to sidestep the hassle of echo to scrip conversion.

New item: Fecund Amber this weekend.

Each costs 3125 Rat shillings.

So this is the only use for it, and you need to get five:

A similar situation to converting 5 Eyeless Skulls for one Ray-Drenched Cinder.

I’d probably go for these if I hadn’t already stolen a bunch via Balmoral. If only they had a buyer upriver…

Prince of Hell locations removed. Dang, I hope selling the two Parabolan Parables and 45 Uncanny Incubulae here is still worth it.

Do I understand the wiki correctly that next weekend the rat-season will be Freeze-and-Fall and my best bet for pure profit is to grind Uncanny Incunabulae this week? Or was the rat-season one of those rat market qualities that change randomly each week?
edited by Anthony on 1/10/2022

[quote=Anthony]Do I understand the wiki correctly that next weekend the rat-season will be Freeze-and-Fall and my best bet for pure profit is to grind Uncanny Incunabulae this week? Or was the rat-season one of those rat market qualities that change randomly each week?[/quote] The Rat-Season progresses in a predictable loop, thankfully (the other two don’t, except that the same combination of Wind/Moon won’t repeat two weeks in a row), so next week is indeed Freeze-and-Fall which wants to buy Uncanny Incunabula, Night-Whispers, and Corresponding Sounders.

I don’t like Sounders so haven’t looked into the practicalities (it’s far too long to be away from London and her profitable/interesting Cards I figure), but if you have access to the Court of the Wakeful Eye exchanging Church, Criminal, Bohemian, and maybe even Dock favours for Tribute to eventually be turned into Night-Whispers is the most profitable. But, the Favours come from Cards (getting non-Card Favours or non-Favour Tribute is nowhere near as good) so grinding Incunabula out of a Newspaper with the rest of your actions is quite good.

[quote=elderfleur] The Rat-Season progresses in a predictable loop, thankfully (the other two don’t, except that the same combination of Wind/Moon won’t repeat two weeks in a row), so next week is indeed Freeze-and-Fall which wants to buy Uncanny Incunabula, Night-Whispers, and Corresponding Sounders.

I don’t like Sounders so haven’t looked into the practicalities (it’s far too long to be away from London and her profitable/interesting Cards I figure), but if you have access to the Court of the Wakeful Eye exchanging Church, Criminal, Bohemian, and maybe even Dock favours for Tribute to eventually be turned into Night-Whispers is the most profitable. But, the Favours come from Cards (getting non-Card Favours or non-Favour Tribute is nowhere near as good) so grinding Incunabula out of a Newspaper with the rest of your actions is quite good.[/quote]

Thank you very much!

New items this weekend:

Strange-Shore Parabola Frock
Strange-Shore Parabola Suit

Each costs 5k Rat shillings.

By the way, are the items gender-locked? Ladies can only wear a frock, gents can only wear a suit etc.

[quote=fishandchips]

By the way, are the items gender-locked? Ladies can only wear a frock, gents can only wear a suit etc.[/quote]

No. Anybody can wear anything and often does.

At this point I’m not sure if the game even still has gender as a player attribute. It hasn’t been selectable for a number of years (now replaced with &quotAddressed as:&quot), and even when it did exist, &quotdecline to state&quot was there from the beginning.

Male & female versions of items exist purely for player expression. If such things are important to you, you can choose to prefer wearing clothing associated with a particular gender. And your reasons for having such a preference of clothing are your own.

[quote=fishandchips]New items this weekend:

Strange-Shore Parabola Frock
Strange-Shore Parabola Suit

Each costs 5k Rat shillings.

By the way, are the items gender-locked? Ladies can only wear a frock, gents can only wear a suit etc.[/quote]Well, I’m glad I double-checked that the &quotIrrigo Suit&quot in the Rat Market is the same as the Strange-Shore Parabola Suit, and didn’t waste any shillings on buying a duplicate! I think this is the first time, that I can recall at least, that FB has referred to the same item by two different names. Ok they’re related, but still - it is misleading.

That’s probably worth sending some feedback about, they may have thought it was more obvious than it really is. Official link is feedback@failbettergames.com.

[quote=PSGarak]That’s probably worth sending some feedback about, they may have thought it was more obvious than it really is. Official link is feedback@failbettergames.com.[/quote]That’s a good suggestion, thank you. On second thought, I guess it is pretty obvious - maybe I was the only one initially confused! Nonetheless, I think the point is still worth making that each thing should be called by only one name…

[quote=PSGarak]At this point I’m not sure if the game even still has gender as a player attribute. It hasn’t been selectable for a number of years (now replaced with &quotAddressed as:&quot), and even when it did exist, &quotdecline to state&quot was there from the beginning.

Male & female versions of items exist purely for player expression. If such things are important to you, you can choose to prefer wearing clothing associated with a particular gender. And your reasons for having such a preference of clothing are your own.[/quote]

It does exist when you set up (as of mine, a bit under a year back), and you see it in profile statements asan irresistible, breathtaking, inescapable and sagacious lady

But you can also refuse a gender on set up, and it has no effect on game play at all. Clothing, marriages, etc all equally available to all. My main character is female and chooses strictly male clothing.

Sometimes this is mildly annoying for role play, as not every item is available in neutral or both gendered options. Girly alt Miranda does not want an iron top-hat, but what is the choice? I can’t imagine the Prof being keen on a tiara either. They are so Victorian in their ideas, at times. :)

For what it’s worth, top hats were made for women and men alike. Slightly different in shape, and often with some extra decoration, but still the same basic topper design. Also, the tiara and the fedora were added to the game at the same time and have the same Persuasive bonus - pretty sure they were intended to be equivalent to each other. I honestly don’t remember if BDR even existed back then - they might have been statistically identical, once.

Until like a year and a half ago, +1 Bizarre and +1 Dreaded were basically the same stat. I can’t think of a single instance where it would have been better to have one over the other.

This weekend new item: Legenda Cosmogone, priced at 3125 Rat shillings.

Heads up: new item in this weekend’s Rat Market (blue moon + south wind). Might be a good idea to stock up on Fourth City Echoes or items to exchange for Rat shillings.

And the False-Season is officially Spring! A new item will grace us this Friday.

[quote=fishandchips]Heads up: new item in this weekend’s Rat Market (blue moon + south wind). Might be a good idea to stock up on Fourth City Echoes or items to exchange for Rat shillings.[/quote]So, intriguer’s compendia. Not really exciting.

[quote=PSGarak]And the False-Season is officially Spring! A new item will grace us this Friday.[/quote]Glasswork weapon. For me as a Heart’s Desirer this is sadly rather useless.