The Poisoner's Library

Loved the story; felt focused but eventful. As soon as I saw that gorgeous promo I knew I was in, and the story delivered. As above, I’m a little sad there aren’t permanent research projects just for some variety, but otherwise I would heartily recommend this story as one of my favourites. I like the 25-Fate point of entry too; it’s just under 6 Canadian Dollars which I find easily justified for a short, pleasant experience even without in-game ramifications. (I don’t regret the 45-Fate stories I’ve bought, but it’s definitely less… impulsible? More of a &quotMaybe&quot instead of a &quotWhy Not?&quot)

[quote=Snort]I was including all the research steps at 3 x 3 x 6 or so, plus the other necessary actions, but perhaps I missed a safe path.[/quote]2 acts to begin and pick an opening lead; 3 laps of 9 acts for a safe run (8 acts at +25 Progress, and 1 to finish): 29 acts.

Down to 21 if you follow average Leads successfully (+35 Progress 6 times on the first two laps, and +41 Progress 5 times on the last), although you’ll need 16 in at least two Secondary stats to make that work 100% of the time. Anecdotally, gambling with 80%s and 90% I managed 26 acts. It’s all still under 3 EPA, but I think that’s fine if you specifically want Hagiographs or… whatever future projects award. Plus, the text on the first few goes using Lead-specific actions is pretty fun.

1 Like

[quote=Snort][quote=PSGarak][quote=Snort]
Yeah, what, 70 or 80 mostly repetitive and grindy actions at a minimum. And more “every option gives the same result.” Meh.
edited by Snort on 12/4/2021[/quote]
It needs some work to be sure, but there’s no way it takes 70 or 80 actions. With achievable stats, the safe path takes 30 actions tops. The theoretical maximum is closer to 20, but far less achievable. The faster, more interactive actions also change their text each time.[/quote]

I was including all the research steps at 3 x 3 x 6 or so, plus the other necessary actions, but perhaps I missed a safe path.[/quote]
It only took me 21 actions per research project - but to be fair I have maxed out stats and didn’t fail any checks.

I absolutely adored this story: the Swan Bride is a superb character and the opportunity to stick it to the Gondoliers was icing on a deliciously toxic cake.

Bravo!

[quote=Julius de Poisson][quote=Snort][quote=PSGarak][quote=Snort]
Yeah, what, 70 or 80 mostly repetitive and grindy actions at a minimum. And more “every option gives the same result.” Meh.
edited by Snort on 12/4/2021[/quote]
It needs some work to be sure, but there’s no way it takes 70 or 80 actions. With achievable stats, the safe path takes 30 actions tops. The theoretical maximum is closer to 20, but far less achievable. The faster, more interactive actions also change their text each time.[/quote]

I was including all the research steps at 3 x 3 x 6 or so, plus the other necessary actions, but perhaps I missed a safe path.[/quote]
It only took me 21 actions per research project - but to be fair I have maxed out stats and didn’t fail any checks.

I absolutely adored this story: the Swan Bride is a superb character and the opportunity to stick it to the Gondoliers was icing on a deliciously toxic cake.

Bravo![/quote]

That sounds right - and I may not have been clear, but my point was that each of my 3 research projects ran about 18 steps (maxed stats), and I added in steps for the rest of the story. So your experience sounds close to mine.

Well…

I advised her to take the path of kindness. Now she’s the new boss of the gondoliers, and I got her mask.

edited by KenShi on 12/4/2021

Well…

I advised her to take the path of kindness. Now she’s the new boss of the gondoliers, and I got her mask.

edited by KenShi on 12/4/2021[/quote]

Thank you for answering, Sir! It seems we think alike, then. That was exactly what I ended up doing, with the same result.

Ah, well. Perhaps she’ll become a Companion in some subsequent holiday event.

All I have to say is that I’ve been waiting a long, long time to get revenge on the Gonfaloniere for making me do all those randomised carousels to rise through the Guild. 10/10, would send a man to Hell again.
edited by Captain Blood Storm on 12/5/2021

Huh. For me the bride left at the palace, and I’m now the gonfanoliere. I would have liked the bride-as-gonfanoliere ending, but I’ll take the extra title too, I suppose.

Please pop a message if this story has any interesting requirements? :)

What did you choose in &quotWhom do I hate?&quot Did you suggest resolution and justice?

I hope that those of us who played this story get to have more interactions with her in the future. If not as a Companion, then perhaps at least as an storylet option or Opportunity Card at Jericho Locks. She’s a VERY intriguing character from an interesting story. I’m extremely glad I played this one!

What did you choose in &quotWhom do I hate?&quot Did you suggest resolution and justice?

I hope that those of us who played this story get to have more interactions with her in the future. If not as a Companion, then perhaps at least as an storylet option or Opportunity Card at Jericho Locks. She’s a VERY intriguing character from an interesting story. I’m extremely glad I played this one![/quote]

I absolutely want more interaction, if for no other reason than that unlike the last story, you can’t repeat anything. I’d like to go back to the location and maybe learn more or do experiments there.

A few fun tidbits sprinkled around Jericho if one becomes the Gonfaloniere, such as a small revision to the Parade, and my favourite so far:

[quote=The Saturnine Gondolier → Ask about the Gonfaloniere] A blank gaze. &quotYou do remember that’s you, right?&quot […] [/quote] Can anyone echo the gossip about the Swan-faloniere?
edited by elderfleur on 12/6/2021

Right here.

I used to think the library as merely another property to generate revenue. I would never know that I had actually placed a little wonderland in Jericho, if the bride had not tell me anything about it.

Now, the quest is completed, and the library became as quiet as before, and lonely, just like the Parabolan camp after the departure of my starry child.

I wish I could just stay in the library, sequestered away from the Hinterland, the Neath, everything, just staring into space, watching the light and shadows on the wall and books. Or perhaps, enjoy the company of locals who happens to drop by. I wish my visits to the library would not be restricted to the motives of conducting researches or harvesting resources.

Perhaps a choice which costs a single action or zero action and brings forth random discription of, say, “air of the library” or “air of Jericho” would be nice, even if it doesn’t generate any reward.

1 Like

Ah interesting how that choice pans out. I went straight for revenge as a dish best served warm and wriggling, and got the other result.

Really did enjoy this story. December has been two-for-two.

Yeah, at the time I didn’t go for revenge because I thought we hadn’t even learned what she was getting revenge for, and on who!

A question regarding the mechanics: I’m almost at the beginning, just after the talk with Gonfaloniere aboard my train. He’s expressly warned me that pursuing the Bride’s interests further will have “consequences for my position.” So I’d like to know, is there any unforewarned penalty towards my Guild’s Esteem, or the ability to utilise it by commissioning trips? I have amassed over 60 Esteem over long periods, and wonder if I have to get rid of it before being able to delve further into the story.

Particularly I wonder if my helping her out of scientific curiosity carries such a risk.

As far as I know, nothing in the story reduces esteem other than the options that explicitly spend some esteem to get some lore.

Seems like I got a bug or error in the scripting or lack of clarity in the writing, or all three:

In the race, I won the first two legs and failed the third. The race ended with the Gonfaloniere finishing the race just ahead of me and being pulled into the water and presumably drowned by the Poisoner. Then immediately after that, the race concludes with both myself and the Gonfaloniere being pulled up onto the walls standing in our respective boats, with absolutely no acknowledgement that the Gonf. was supposedly just submerged. Weirder still, I was declared winner despite the text clearly stating that the Gonf. finished the race ahead of me by a hair–the direct quote is &quotIt is unmistakeable that he is ahead – just – but just is all that matters so late in the race.&quot What am I supposed to make of this??

Also, I feel like a broken record saying this for almost every new major piece of content that comes out, but … so many typos. It’s really distracting and disappointing.
edited by hwoosh on 12/16/2021

[quote=hwoosh]I feel like a broken record saying this for almost every new major piece of content that comes out, but … so many typos. It’s really distracting and disappointing.

edited by hwoosh on 12/16/2021[/quote]

Do you report them? There are some amazingly old survivals (I’ve been catching up on old ES), so I wonder how many people bother. Since proofreading is one of my RL occupations, I can’t help myself, so I dash off a bunch of screen shots whenever I finish one.

FL always respond and generally fix things (I recall that free rein/reign ran up against objections once (!), which is interesting, since, you know, a horse was the car of the day, so expressions to do with them were commonplace, and there weren’t many kings or queens around, but anyway).

I try to send them &quotfresh&quot to ensure I don’t report something they’ve already fixed.

But it’s nice to see I’m not the only one who minds!

[quote=hwoosh]Seems like I got a bug or error in the scripting or lack of clarity in the writing, or all three:

In the race, I won the first two legs and failed the third. The race ended with the Gonfaloniere finishing the race just ahead of me and being pulled into the water and presumably drowned by the Poisoner. Then immediately after that, the race concludes with both myself and the Gonfaloniere being pulled up onto the walls standing in our respective boats, with absolutely no acknowledgement that the Gonf. was supposedly just submerged. Weirder still, I was declared winner despite the text clearly stating that the Gonf. finished the race ahead of me by a hair–the direct quote is &quotIt is unmistakeable that he is ahead – just – but just is all that matters so late in the race.&quot What am I supposed to make of this??

Also, I feel like a broken record saying this for almost every new major piece of content that comes out, but … so many typos. It’s really distracting and disappointing.
edited by hwoosh on 12/16/2021[/quote]

Sorry - fat-fingered and downvoted this by mistake. My apologies, @hwoosh.