The Missionary and the Firebrand

Spoilers for their questline, obviously.

Having just left the cave of the Nadir, and chosen the Firebrand as my companion, it occurred to me that there’s an interesting discussion to be had about the two. So, for players who know the truth about them, which did you prefer to support? I’m especially interested in opinions that differ from my own, and the reasons behind them.

My opinion below in spoiler brackets, just in case anyone isn’t far along in that story and wants to avoid having knowledge of the future.

I personally preferred the Missionary at the beginning (apparently I’m a sucker for a pretty lady), but sided with the Firebrand after I discovered their true goal. After all, I knew from the beginning that the Firebrand was clever and dangerous. But the Missionary disguised herself as a harmless pastor’s wife, and when I discovered that she was in fact a dangerous revolutionary, I felt that I couldn’t trust her anymore. But what do you think?

I chased after the Firebrand like a lovesick puppy and never even got to first base. Hmmph.

After acquiring him as a companion, I changed his name to Fido and decided he was only allowed to eat dog food :P

I still occasionally like to pick on him in my journals. He had a rough time during the Chimney Pot Wars. Urchins kept putting tacks on his chair :P

I favored the Missionary, personally. I had a couple reasons.[li]

First, I thought she understood the potential of the Nadir much better. That power is extraordinary, transformative. The revolution could do so much with it, yes, but so could so many other groups, so many researchers and worshipers and secret-keepers. Allowing them access would be dangerous, yes, but it would ensure that the possibilities of the place would be more fully explored, and our limited control over access to the caves would both enrich us and make us the gatekeepers of great power. Making it into a glorified sanctum seemed a terrible waste, to me.
Second, I really liked her as a character. The compelling masquerade, the Joan of Arc allusions, the sense that she saw the Nadir as a stepping stone and her husband as an uncooperative mark, that incredible self-assuredness, the sheer ego and conviction that would be delusional if she weren’t so damn good. She’s a woman of vision, first and foremost, and the consequences of putting that vision into action will probably always be worth it, to her. I felt like she and my character would get along really well, for a while at least.

I chose Firebrand for my main a long time ago. Totally not because my character has fallen for him head over heels.

Both Firebrand and Missionary are brilliant characters and I love them both. He is more of a thinker, an intellectual, an idealist - and she’s a cunning and ruthless schemer and a practical businesswoman. For my main, honesty and overall &quotdorkness&quot of Firebrand became the deciding factor. Also Firebrand seems more of a social justice revolutionary (throwing Neddies in the river and all this), and not exactly fond of LoN, which is also good by my main’s standards.

My trickster character obviously chose Missionary, because he admires her machinations done with that sweet and innocent look on her face. They are great partners in civilised crime now. And he’s up for any chaotic changes, so he’s eager to try out what LoN would bring.

Well, that’s… unique. I hope you give the poor man a break for Christmas!

That’s very interesting, Gul. I didn’t notice the references comparing the Missionary to Joan of Arc. Where can I find those?

Well, the narrator doesn’t compare her to Joan of Arc so much as she compares herself. It’s not especially subtle or intricate, just a little fantasizing on her part. Did you speak to her while on the expedition?[li]

Neither, why thank you! I railed against the both of them plundered the bloke’s backpack, and left them in the dirt where they belong. These bl__dy surfacers don’t know what they’re meddling in! They really spent a significant portion of their lives searching for something without having even the slightest clue of what it actually was, it boggles the mind!
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 12/12/2016

Unfortunately, no. I didn’t speak to either of them while in the Nadir, occupied as I was with gathering unique treasures. Yet all I found was the recipe for zzoup… oh, well. There’s always the next trip.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]Neither, why thank you! I railed against the both of them plundered the bloke’s backpack, and left them in the dirt where they belong. These bl__dy surfacers don’t know what they’re meddling in! They really spent a significant portion of their lives searching for something without having even the slightest clue of what it actually was, it boggles the mind!
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 12/12/2016[/quote]

Well, perhaps I’m a bit more sympathetic with them, being myself a surfacer who came to Fallen London to solve the mystery of my brother’s murder and found myself drawn to the many other mysteries of the Neath along the way. That and, well, those Mourning Candles have a peculiar odour.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]Neither, why thank you! I railed against the both of them plundered the bloke’s backpack, and left them in the dirt where they belong. These bl__dy surfacers don’t know what they’re meddling in! They really spent a significant portion of their lives searching for something without having even the slightest clue of what it actually was, it boggles the mind!
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 12/12/2016[/quote]
I just walked away with the candles. Their companion perks just weren’t enough to sway me.
edited by jamilah on 12/12/2016

[quote=Sam Stephens][quote=Kukapetal]
After acquiring him as a companion, I changed his name to Fido and decided he was only allowed to eat dog food :P
[/quote]

Well, that’s… unique. I hope you give the poor man a break for Christmas![/quote]

My character forgave him after a couple of months and is currently quite fond of him. He just enjoys picking on him a bit because he’s so meek and uptight :P

Firebrand. The Missionary’s ‘look at me and my big blue eyes’ innocent act set my teeth on edge. I sided with her at first, but I never intended to follow through.

(I was, ah, not expecting the process of changing sides to involve being seduced, though - I honestly thought I was just going to talk to the Firebrand. Not that I mind, but still…)

Eyes of Lost Sky: +2 Shadowy, +15 Infuriating.

&quotOoh, I’m just such a helpless innocent damsel, help me find my lost husband!&quot Put a sock in it, lady, you’re not fooling anyone, and acting like you are is just insulting.
Even before I found the community, and the wiki, I could tell she was having me on. At least the Firebrand hasn’t insulted my intelligence that way, and simply refrained from telling me things rather than actively (attempting) deceiving me. I can stomach his keeping his affairs to himself much more than I can stomach her nonsense.

Honestly I dislike both. The firebrand for being in cahoots with the revolutionaries who I despise, and the missionary a bit less. The missionary was and is deceptive and untrustworthy, but she at least understood a bit more about the potential of the Nadir. As it is, I’d had enough of both of them by the end. The nadir should not be used lightly by anyone, let alone the insanity that is the calendar council.

Edit: I did like the story-line quite a bit.
edited by folklore364 on 12/20/2016