The Masters?

So when I play Sunless Sea, my favorite challenges tend to involve a primary stat called &quotVeils.&quot There are 5 such stats, each named after a Master, with three of them (Dangerous/Iron, Persuasive/Hearts, Shadowy/Veils) corresponding rather closely with an in-game stat from Fallen London. Mirrors is rather like the investigative interpretation of Watchful, while Pages is rather more like the University interpretation. I won’t go on at length about my playstyle in another game, but I’m fond of avoiding combat entirely and relying heavily on commerce that doesn’t require hold space. Information tends to be my best cargo, and while port reports are just broth, funding spy networks tends to pay for itself many times over once you’re well-prepared for all of the checks involved, and know which ones are a bad deal. Knowing that my favorite stat was named for somebody, I figured they must be impossibly stealthy.

As somebody who first experienced the Neath through Sunless Sea, my imagining of each Master was quite different than the reality - I thought of Iron as a massive, bristling figure with a heroic voice, somebody who could lose a lot of blood and keep on battling. (Nope nope nope). I thought of Pages as a prescient scholar, whereas the character in truth is some combination of censor and voyeur. I thought of Mirrors as a savage investigator - with all the knowledge and persistence of Hell, but with skill sets more closely resembling those of the Implacable Detective, and the general priorities of the Masters. Just as Jasper is a sort of shadowy/dangerous minion of theirs, I figured an investigation by Mirrors would be illuminating and inescapable - that even hearing Mirrors was on your trail was a great moment to surrender, and that the ensuing interrogation could take only a few minutes, so well chosen were its questions. Given the nature of the checks, I imagined Hearts as rather like Wines, with less of a focus on debauchery - somebody who dealt primarily in the loyalties of others. I, ah, misinterpreted the whole &quothearts&quot bit.

Finally, I thought of Veils as a patron saint of spies - the sort of fellow who would take a sharp interest in the Foreign Office, and who through disguise and deception could tell you whatever it wanted as whoever it wanted. I figured Veils would have the athleticism to rob anybody almost any time, but would consider most heists a waste of time, perhaps robbing your possessions (as somebody else) to cover up an investigation of what you know. The true nature of Veils is confusing to me. I tend to do business with whatever Masters show up in my deck - I will not supply Wines’ revels if I am already acquainted with the Masters, although he is a major supplier of my own cellars. And I release certain materials to Pages, incrementally, so that relentless gossip will be more positively inclined towards me. I don’t do much business with the Relickers - what they ask for is too precious, and I have more reliable means of seeking everything they sell. I’ve tried having my scraps recertified, and in the long run I usually come out ahead - but by such small margins that I wish I’d spent the turns differently.

I couldn’t help but notice that the Relickers who deal in the rag trade have Dangerous checks to do business, rather than Shadowy, suggesting that Veils does business with those of great martial ability. And I’ve heard those rumors that he has an, ah, violent alter ego. Quite appalling, those rumors, but you know how they get about.

I enjoyed seeing Wines and Pages both staring at me at once from my opportunity deck - I ground and converted some honey to do business with one, then gave contraband to the other to clean up the resulting scandal - and I wondered what sort of business Veils might do. They’re hard to make a profit with, but the Masters do business in volume, which gets to be an asset. What Wines and Pages both &quotwant,&quot in the most short-term sense, I understand as much as can be expected. Veils, though? Perhaps in keeping with my expectation of them, I have absolutely no idea what they’d want if they showed up in my deck.
edited by Gerald Edgerton on 7/30/2015
edited by Gerald Edgerton on 7/30/2015

Veils doesn’t really pester the player a whole lot, but around Christmas time it does drop in asking for Wild Words. It’s definitely worth giving it a Storm-Threnody when it does.

You are still innocent. I know, because i noticed you missed Apples and Spices.

[spoiler]
Veils and Fires: Dangerous and especially unlikable jerks

Stones: Greedy jerk that hoard everything and places heavy taxes (and then hoard the taxes)

Pages: Nerdy jerk that censor your books while reading and hoarding all of them

Spices: Lazy jerk whose negligence led to dozens of cut throats

Apples and Hearts: Did nothing wrong! Well, Apples gropes you in the Carnival. If you want to think of it that way. Or if you wear really short pants and things.

Mirror and Cups: Potentially have a vendetta with you. Drove some girl to suicide.

Wines: Host crappy, universally reviled party. Drove some girl to suicide. Constant harassment of old lady by sending dozens of seducers. Host crappy, universally reviled party that cost Fate. Terrible wines, crap price. Harass you with invitations to a really crappy party that cost Fate.

Iron: Looms over wedding cake. Runs the K&C, which not all appreciates. [color=FF99FF]<3[color=000000] [/color][/color]

Sacks (before 2012): Is surprisingly lenient. Hang out with cool kids.

Chimes: Broke my heart. Don’t ask.[/spoiler]
edited by Estelle Knoht on 7/30/2015

Someday I’ll learn first-hand how Mr Eaten fits in all of this.
But for now, this has been something delicious to ponder… (Thankyou.)

I don’t know, I can’t think of Pages as a jerk. He’s obviously trying very hard.

Mr. Pages is a precious, perfect cinnamon roll and I will hear no implicusations to the contrary! Why, he even brought me poetry and an adorable hat once; truly, he is the most neighborly nerd in the whole Neath.

Honestly, I am with you on this wholeheartedly. I believe that in all my dealings, he’s been completely fair - though often incomprehensible - in his payments and requests.

Irons has been attempting to get me involved in a literally deadly game and with the help of Mr. Cups may have done more than horrible things to at least one person of note, Stones refuses to let the gemstones out, Wines is a cheapskate who still owes me from several revels back. But darling Mr. Pages is an adorable nerd in a big cloak.

Whilst Mr Fires is a jerk, he’s a jerk with the Bazaars interests at heart. So long those interests align with mine own, he is by all counts my bestest buddy in the whole world.

Mr Pages is an adorable nerd whose penchant for censorship is actually quite irksome. Nevertheless, he can on occasion be particularly good company.

Mr Wines is… …well he’s a cheapskate. His jollyness doesn’t entirely make up for it, either.

Mr Veils is the jerkiest jerk to ever live. THE END.

Mr Sacks is my broseph4lyf

Mr Eaten is absolutely terrifying, but in the end I don’t blame him

Mr Stones is and shall remain always a li’l bitch.

The rest, I have unfortunately had very little interaction with. I do however, prefer Mr Hearts’ Hearts, and Mr Apples’ taste in yachting.

In response to the original OP: Mr Veils deals with the rag trade, mostly basing himself out of Spite. He has nothing to do whatsoever with any of the numerous profitable and very illegal opportunities available there. None whatsoever. He may also have absolutely nothing to do with the Vake, a monstrous creature that stalks those that would hunt it.

Veils also runs the Parlour Of Virtue, and manages the jobs of what have become colloquially known as &quotVeils’ girls&quot. If he has fingers in the Great Game, they are particularly discreet, but this writer suspects Mr Veils to have his own contacts within the Foreign Office, and perhaps even the palace.

Edit: The Patron Saint Of Spies is St Joshua. There are a few scattered shrines here and there about to him; most will be draped in irrigo.
edited by Cotton Dee on 7/31/2015

Wines runs the Parlour of Virtue. Veils’ girls are probably just clothing models.

[quote=3Squirrels]Honestly, I am with you on this wholeheartedly. I believe that in all my dealings, he’s been completely fair - though often incomprehensible - in his payments and requests.

Irons has been attempting to get me involved in a literally deadly game and with the help of Mr. Cups may have done more than horrible things to at least one person of note, Stones refuses to let the gemstones out, Wines is a cheapskate who still owes me from several revels back. But darling Mr. Pages is an adorable nerd in a big cloak.[/quote]
Yep, aside from how simply adorable Mr. Pages is, he is definitely the nicest of the Masters. I mean, yeah, there’s the censorship and the book-burning (which can be inconvenient for anyone looking to publish a book or get a hold of a library), but compared to the stuff that his peers are responsible for, that’s downright benign, especially in a world where the wrong knowledge can literally cause madness and the Revolutionaries could easily break the whole universe if they ever managed to spread their ideas far enough to get their way. Plus, aside from those books that he burns, Pages seems to have a very sincere love of reading, writing, and language, and that’s pretty relatable.

[quote=Ami Miljkovich]
Yep, aside from how simply adorable Mr. Pages is, he is definitely the nicest of the Masters. I mean, yeah, there’s the censorship and the book-burning (which can be inconvenient for anyone looking to publish a book or get a hold of a library), but compared to the stuff that his peers are responsible for, that’s downright benign, especially in a world where the wrong knowledge can literally cause madness and the Revolutionaries could easily break the whole universe if they ever managed to spread their ideas far enough to get their way. Plus, aside from those books that he burns, Pages seems to have a very sincere love of reading, writing, and language, and that’s pretty relatable.[/quote]

Does he actually burn any books? I always figured that books the Special Constables confiscated for &quotburning&quot actually ended up in Mr. Pages’ private collection. (Which, as a bibliophile myself, is honestly what I would probably end up doing as a Master.)

Well, the text from one of the options found in the Foreign Office strongly suggest he burns some of the stuff that he gets (though it isn’t about the confiscated books).

I bet he burns the stuff he already has plenty of in his private libraries.

Mr. Wines gets too much hate in my opinion. Sure, it may be a giant cheapskate, but it genuinely seems to be trying.
edited by TheD3rp on 8/1/2015

And the revels -are- kind of interesting…

I just hope they remember me when the time comes. I performed at one and they went weak in the knees… I mean, it may have been because I sounded horrible, but I prefer to believe Wines genuinely likes me and will someday pay me for all my work and provisions.

I can dream, d–n it!

While I would not dispute any of Mr. Pages’ qualities, I would like to point out that he can be a somewhat harsh critic if he does not like your poetry. And his choice of libations at the subsequent poetry reading he asked me to organise was pragmatic. As others have said, though, he does pay his debts.

I just wanted to say I’ve enjoyed this thread tremendously and am glad that many of you seem to be as well.

I’ve only done business with two Masters so far; my character hasn’t accepted that he can’t leave, and so has avoided K&C or dying. Poor fellow. He may change significantly when he realizes the true shape of the world that is left to him.

In agreement with TheD3rp, I don’t dislike Wines; they are a sharp trader. The only situations where you come out ahead are those in which what they’re offering you is EXACTLY what you need. Funding a revel is a great way to pick up your first point of a certain connection. Beats getting them from Pages, amirite? Funding subsequent revels instead gives you a lesson in negotiation. No payment is promised, so of course whatever is received is subject to the limitations and liabilities of negotiation after the fact, no? Also, trying to collect from a drunk Master on their own turf? Even playing that storylet requires making some unsound business decisions, as we all learn pretty early on. That said, honey is outside Wines’ jurisdiction and this gives them a critical shortfall in their obligations. Spices appears ill-inclined to help in the matter, so if you provide enough honey to the Bohemians, you will be able to buy from Wines in volume. Sure, you come out behind on a strictly per-Echo basis, but you save a lot of turns, and your friends in the Church happen to need rather a lot of wine. I may have the Bohemians to thank for my address at the Bazaar when I acquire it, but it will be Wines who was most instrumental when I upgrade it. That said, I often regret all of the Presumptuous Opportunities that went by before I got involved in wine. (Those, after all, make possible a chain of transactions that make my dealings with Wines worthwhile.)

As for Pages, their prices are as ridiculous as the value of what they offer. For a modest donation, they are a mostly-faithful source of menace reduction. Sometimes the literature I turn over contains elements of which I was not aware - that’s simply a risk I take. If anybody knows of an affordable means of acquiring what else Pages offers, I am all ears. ;)

I find it odd that the terminal currency of the rag trade can only be acquired from the Relickers, although the explanation may be… straightforward.

I remain interested in learning more about Veils, however hazardous that curiosity may be. Apples hasn’t met me yet, but there’s nobody at the Carnival who can play cards with me anymore. (I’m still working on Veilgarden.) I look forward to making its acquaintance.

Pages disturbs me. A shadow I saw through a rice-paper wall. The degustifying by mischeroptera.