The Little Prince Movie

So we’ve watched the &quotThe Little Prince&quot film. For some reason I think it was sadder than the book that I remembered reading in my childhood.

One rather sad scene was this narration (paraphrased from my memory)

The Prince loved the Rose and the rose loved the Prince but they were too young to love. So the Prince went away from his asteroid using a flock of birds, leaving the Rose behind.

Why are love stories between cosmic beings, especially those of different stations, so sad?

Answering that question would require some significant social and philosophical speculation. Instead, have the Students:

– Mal

I never saw the rose/prince of different stations. Just as two people who couldn’t understand how the other thought, so couldn’t communicate their own feelings (doesn’t it even say something along the lines of 'I was too young and she was too proud/scared). Not disagreeing, just never read it that way.

Weird how I’d find chapter 21 in a self-help book didactic and tedious, but in the book pretty much condenses everything I believe about love.

Also: sadder than the book? I ugly-cry every time I read it (find it very cathartic)… eep. (‘One runs the risk of weeping a little, if one lets himself be tamed…’)

(I’m a fan of the Katharine Woods translation, despite its errors. I’ve seen it described as ‘stiff’, but find the more natural version lose some of the hesitant poetry I find in her version.)
edited by babelfishwars on 12/9/2015

[quote=babelfishwars]I never saw the rose/prince of different stations. Just as two people who couldn’t understand how the other thought, so couldn’t communicate their own feelings (doesn’t it even say something along the lines of 'I was too young and she was too proud/scared). Not disagreeing, just never read it that way.

Weird how I’d find chapter 21 in a self-help book didactic and tedious, but in the book pretty much condenses everything I believe about love.

Also: sadder than the book? I ugly-cry every time I read it (find it very cathartic)… eep. (‘One runs the risk of weeping a little, if one lets himself be tamed…’)

(I’m a fan of the Katharine Woods translation, despite its errors. I’ve seen it described as ‘stiff’, but find the more natural version lose some of the hesitant poetry I find in her version.)
edited by babelfishwars on 12/9/2015[/quote]

Love is indeed hard if one cannot communicate it properly, perhaps if only they have a better system for their Correspondence. I have to insist in the different stations though. One is a prince and is essentially higher in the Chains of positions.

Hm… I think remembered it being sadder than the book since I read it when I was but a very young urchin. I went from &quothey, those are the snake hat and the sheep that I’ve read before&quot to &quotUh… Ms. Rose … Mr. Fox … :’( &quot while I was watching. I don’t mean to say that the film is better in delivering the feels compared to the book, I just mean that I have become a &quotGrown-up&quot enough to actually understand the deeper things about the story.