The Liberation of Night?

Good point, but do we know this to be true for all the Masters? I know that Mr. Iron is DISAPPOINTED of those with notability - not sure about the others.

Also, besides the Masters, do we know if Notability is seen as positive or negative by the Bazaar itself?[/quote]

Notability surely makes us Delicious, friends.

[li]

It wasn’t the Notability per se that caused disappointment, it was the choice of career for a person of such high notability. Any profession with an impossible colour seems to be disappointing. Notaries and doctors , which require Notability 3, were rewarded for their honourable toil. Other professions which could lead to the advanced professions were treated to a warning to not become involved, as far as I recall.

If the Bazaar is refuelling for the next leg of its journey, wouldn’t feeding it more love stories shorten the time until everyone gets turned into lacre and it’s time for a sixth city? I am of the belief that there is no winning for the population at large.

“You have minutely advanced the Conversion of London to Lacre. +Waves, +Connection: Masters.”

[spoiler]The degree to which the Sacks-Nomen’s agendas aligned with those of the Masters and/or the Bazaar is unclear. Did their warnings not to become entangled in the designs of the Bazaar - manifest in the form of Notability and Professions - represent the secret feelings of the Masters, appalled by their employer’s schemes? Or were they controlled by another power?

In any case, I suspect that the approval of Doctors and Notaries comes from their refusal to provide stories for the Bazaar. They appear to take the bait of Notability, but then channel all of Slowcake’s efforts into something everyday, humdrum and routine, entirely unconnected to zee-monsters or the Correspondence or Parabola. (After all, who would want to read about a boring doctor?)

Gillsing, you’re very likely right - our choices as Londoners seem to be A: to go down into the reservoirs and be unmade, B: to seek the Liberation of Night and strike out the Sun, or C: to leave (which may or may not require Hesperidean - I would venture that there are certain gaps in the lore on this point), allowing London and two more cities to be devoured before… what happens?[/spoiler]

There are other options, such as revealed by the Backstage Destiny, the Duchess’ persistence, and things found in teh Nadir, for example. Then again, these are rather personal solutions to the dilemma, which implications for everyone else akin to your option “C.”

There is also the option to side with the masters and further their plans. It probably dooms most everyone else though. It doesn’t seem many survive between cities.

Perhaps there will be an option to aid Mr Fires in having the Fifth persist, somehow.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook][spoiler]The degree to which the Sacks-Nomen’s agendas aligned with those of the Masters and/or the Bazaar is unclear. Did their warnings not to become entangled in the designs of the Bazaar - manifest in the form of Notability and Professions - represent the secret feelings of the Masters, appalled by their employer’s schemes? Or were they controlled by another power?

In any case, I suspect that the approval of Doctors and Notaries comes from their refusal to provide stories for the Bazaar. They appear to take the bait of Notability, but then channel all of Slowcake’s efforts into something everyday, humdrum and routine, entirely unconnected to zee-monsters or the Correspondence or Parabola. (After all, who would want to read about a boring doctor?)

Gillsing, you’re very likely right - our choices as Londoners seem to be A: to go down into the reservoirs and be unmade, B: to seek the Liberation of Night and strike out the Sun, or C: to leave (which may or may not require Hesperidean - I would venture that there are certain gaps in the lore on this point), allowing London and two more cities to be devoured before… what happens?[/spoiler][/quote]

[li]
There do seem to be a number of other possibilities, looking at the various Destinies options (however, those only seem to apply to a few far and between, so I don’t think any option is very good for the general public). And you can technically leave the Neath without Hesperidean, as long as you haven’t died already.

And remember, we’ve also seen the Master’s are divided, both publicly conflicting over areas of trade domain, and we’ve seen behind the scenes to them feuding over moving cities, and I believe there are several hints that only a few of them even bother trying to do service to the Bazaar.

Either way, we don’t have the full picture for the paths that could befall us (Though the idea of the Liberation of Night is greatly disturbing. I haven’t converted Luminosity items since that trait appeared). Other than, as I and others mentioned, it will undoubtably be bad for the majority of London residents.

To be clear, the Baazar needs something. It can’t find it. If we think about how the first four cities failed to provide the Bazaar that which it needs, that they were failures, is it any surprise that they would vanish into an endless resevoir of liquid sorrowful regret?
edited by varinn on 2/24/2014

Not really sure that the bazaar needs something from the cities. From Mr.Fire Christmas contents it seemed that the cities are part of some message for the Bazaar’s beloved.

It needs the Message to be perfect, and it needs the perfect story to make that Message convincing enough to literally move heavens and earth.

It’s easy. We help the Deviless seduce the Rubbery Man.

But this time we need a bigger poem.

Is there any discovered means of suppressing the Liberation of Night? So far Pyro’s reporting the Revolutionaries hanging out at the University library’s roof.

Nobody has said anything about ways to hinder the Liberation of Night. Does that option do it, or is it just a way to tank your Revolutionary connection?

That’s quite sad, the Destinies related to LoN are quite horrible. Guess I’ll just stick to not converting Luminosity items and find other less LoN-friendly ways to get them.

Gameplay-wise my character’s actions at the University library just increase University connections, it doesn’t affect Revolutionary connection levels. The lore does tell that at least he hinders them a bit. [li]

Ah, you’re reporting them to the University. If you report them to the Constables you’ll eliminate all of your Revolutionary connections. That’s probably it, however. Ways to lower the Liberation of Night probably haven’t been implemented yet, or at least they haven’t been discovered.

I have to say, after noticing that I am apparently minutely advancing the Liberation of Night… I’ve gone and sold off most of my Luminosity items to the Bazaar. Let someone else advance that cause, I’ll take my own sweet time about it for now.

imo, if the players(us) wants to &quotsave&quot london or rather save the human inhabitants, they SHOULD seek the liberation of night! the LoN destinies pretty much force everyone to flee back to the surface, which saves them from the other possible endings that end in the destruction of london in one way or the other.

flukes destinies: if you ally with the Lorn-Flukes, the bazaar’s doom is certain. and the londoners will turn into fishfood??? if you destroy them, the masters win, and they would probably/ eventually move the bazaar and leave london in ruins.

the more personal destinies: you usually end up siding with the masters, which means the bazaar moves, again london will be ruined.

SMEN destiny??? : you die or suffer eternally. so relatively speaking, most londoners have it better than you even if they turn into lacre, get burned, or turn into fishfood. relative to a SMEN player, this is the &quotGOOD&quot ending for average londoners. heh.

imo, if the players(us) wants to &quotsave&quot london or rather save the human inhabitants, they SHOULD seek the liberation of night! the LoN destinies pretty much force everyone to flee back to the surface, which saves them from the other possible endings that end in the destruction of london in one way or the other.

[spoiler]
flukes destinies: if you ally with the Lorn-Flukes, the bazaar’s doom is certain. and the londoners will turn into fishfood??? if you destroy them, the masters win, and they would probably/ eventually move the bazaar and leave london in ruins.

the more personal destinies: you usually end up siding with the masters, which means the bazaar moves, again london will be ruined.

SMEN destiny??? : you die or suffer eternally. so relatively speaking, most londoners have it better than you even if they turn into lacre, get burned, or turn into fishfood. relative to a SMEN player, this is the &quotGOOD&quot ending for average londoners. heh.

[/spoiler][/quote]

[li]
The device is a prototype. They’re planning to do that to the entire cosmos. There’s no Surface to run to. My character would prefer to help Hell itself if it means stopping these guys.

Well, the SMEN option is bad to the individual player character, but we don’t know that it would necessarily make matters worse (or better) for the other London inhabitants. Also, depending on the role playing, this might be the right thing to do for the player character. After all, a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.

Also, I’m not sure we can infer the exact fate of the rest of the London population from all of the destinies.
For example: The Mountain of Light destiny takes place away from London (on the Elder Continent) and, depending on player choices, might be good or bad for London.