The Intense Notary's Office

The Intense Notary is in the business of recording names. Her colossal, ink-stained ledgers bear the names of carriages, of clocks, of causeways, of centenarians and of civets. It is whispered that certain locked volumes include the name of every street last in the Fall, of every soul in the Brass Embassy, and of the bearers of every drop of blood spilled in the Prickfinger Wastes. Some brave or boastful souls claim to have glimpsed a slim, black-bound journal, kept by her side at all times, which contains the past names of the Masters. The Notary can be employed to record publicly the names of one’s companions, one’s pets, and even one’s zee-vessels, if one thinks such things of importance.
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 1/31/2013

[b]Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook

Associations[/b]
The Society for Farcical Research (Salon)
FrillyShirt[b] /b

Spouse
Tanah Merah (Celebrated Artist’s Model)

Ship
The Grey Whale (Zubmarine)

Pets
Spinoza (Haunted-looking Dog)
Fergus (Disgraced Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief)
Monty (Talkative Rattus Faber)
Bleek (Albino Rat)
Snark (Bat With Attitude)
Sahiba (Bengal Tigress)
Lord Mountweazle (Salt Weasel)
Hermes (Bifurcated Owl)
Voltairine (Partisan Messenger Tortoise)
Wellington (Unfinished Hat)
Moineau (Bitter Saker Falcon)
Phorcys (Dark-Carapaced Crustacean)
Epimetheus (Mystic Raven Advisor)
Prometheus (Devious Raven Advisor)
Blake (Complaisant Frost-Moth)
Sophia Kincaid (Monster-Hunting Academic)
Ramona (Pirate Poet)
Dinah (Parabolan Panther)
Detective Professor Edgar Egg (Rubbery Conspirator)

edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 7/12/2014

[b]Wesley Miller (Blue)

Clique
[/b]Pragmatic Poets Society

Ship
Plutonia (Fast Zee-Clipper, also nicknamed “the Tardis”, from the motto engraved on the stern: Tardis pedibus, celer navis - “For slow feet, a quick ship”)

Transport
Balthazar (Obdurate Stallion)

Pets
Azeem (Araby Fighting-Weasel)
Bruce (SUlky Bat)
Cornelius (Disgraced Rattus Faber chief)
Deiphobus (Deshrieked Mandrake)
Enzo (Hungover Terrier)
Friederike (Reprehensible Lizard)
Gilligan (Salt Weasel)
Mr. Hopkins (Devious Henchman)
Ignatius (Talkative Rattus Faber)
Jerome Davenport (Grubby Urchin)
Kreech (Formerly Dazed Raven Advisor, currently Mystic Raven Advisor)
Ligeia (Albino Rat)
Melchizedek (Bifurcated Owl)
Naaman (Hound of Heaven)
Obadiah (Ocular Toadbeast)
Percy (Corresponding Ocelot)
Quagmire (Slavering Dream-Hound)
Rufus (Tomb-Lion)

• Ssossoffoorossth - (Rubbery Hound)
    Thanatos (Plated Seal)
    Üpnos (Somnolent Hyaena)
    Vismay (Dark-Carapaced Crustacean)
    Wayne (Bat with Attitude)
    Caesar (Cardsharp Monkey)

(Yeah, he named them alphabetically, like the orphans in Oliver Twist XD - except for the Cardsharp Monkey, that is more a NPC than a Pet in his opinion).
edited by streetfelineblue on 1/31/2013

Very nice! I’ve copied your inclusion of the Clique, and I particularly like Rufus and Ssossoffoorossth.

all my pets have dumb names or are references to a few of my Internet Friends
that said,

Spacemarine9
Clique
Spacemarine9’s Cool Dudes Club

Pets
Not A Cat- (Disgraced rattus faber chief)
RFB-C (Rattus Faber Bandit Chief)
Battitude (bat with attitude)
Nyah! (Taciturn Mynah)
rathen (Bifurcated owl)
Cream Eyes (Toadbeast)
HONK (rubbery euphonium)
orresponding cocelot (corresponding ocelot)
Slave Labrador (Dream-hound)
crasscrab (Dark-carapaced Crustacean)
Evermore (Mystic Raven Adviser)
Nevermore (Devious Raven Adviser)
Justin Followingorders (Working Rat)
Messers To-Be-Eaten (Talkative Rattus Faber)
Weavel (Lucky Weasel)
Bulky Sat (Sulky Bat)
Indestructible! Reprehensible! (Reprehensible Lizard)
I’ll Be No Rat (Albino Rat)

Haven’t named my ship or constant companion.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 2/8/2013

I like “Nyah!” for the Taciturn Mynah. And is Frederick’s Fergus a reference to Cuchulainn myth?

(Most of mine are quotations or puns. I’m personally fond of the Obdurate Stallion Balthazar… That’s because, according to some traditions, Balthazar was one of the Three Kings, and had dark skin. So literally he was a “black king”. D’you know how “black king” is said in Japanese? Kokuoh XD)

I honestly do not recall why I chose ‘Fergus’ - I think he was the first pet I named, when the feature first appeared! I do remember that ‘Bleek’ is Dutch for ‘pale’. Likewise, ‘Moineau’ is French for ‘Sparrow’, and was, incidentally, an anarchist colleague of Kropotkin. Similarly, Voltairine is American anarchist Voltairine de Cleyre. Hermes is Hermes Tismegistus, as in Hermetic philosophy or hermetically-sealed jampots, as well as the Greek deity. Phorcys is the crab-god of deep dark horrors - appropriate, I thought. Epimetheus, kindly patron of the animals - though he could easily be his brother, Prometheus, of foresight and fire.

What are the stories behind Azeem and Deiphobus? And, for that matter, Jerome Davenport? And - for Spacemarine9 - Slave Labrador?

it’s a pun on slavering and slave labour and labradors

i don’t really know either but it seemed like a good idea at the time

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]I honestly do not recall why I chose ‘Fergus’ - I think he was the first pet I named, when the feature first appeared! I do remember that ‘Bleek’ is Dutch for ‘pale’. Likewise, ‘Moineau’ is French for ‘Sparrow’, and was, incidentally, an anarchist colleague of Kropotkin. Similarly, Voltairine is American anarchist Voltairine de Cleyre. Hermes is Hermes Tismegistus, as in Hermetic philosophy or hermetically-sealed jampots, as well as the Greek deity. Phorcys is the crab-god of deep dark horrors - appropriate, I thought. Epimetheus, kindly patron of the animals - though he could easily be his brother, Prometheus, of foresight and fire.

What are the stories behind Azeem and Deiphobus? And, for that matter, Jerome Davenport? And - for Spacemarine9 - Slave Labrador?[/quote]

For Azeem, being from Araby, I wanted an arabian-sounding name starting with A, so I went for my favourite character in Robin Hood: Prince of thieves. Deiphobus I chose because being the Mandrake a Persuasive pet, I wanted to show Wesley’s knack for classical literature - Deiphobus being a secondary character in the Iliad, a Trojan prince. Jerome Davenport just popped up when I was looking for an urchin’s name starting with J XD

Edit: Here’s the complete list all of all my associated creatures, with flavor commentary! Note: I’m not done crafting the Ravens, obviously, but I have all the rest of the Neathymon, I believe, except for a Plated Seal (which I will aquire on my way back from my trip to Mutton Island), and that monstrosity Mr. Stones had on offer (No thanks).

Constant Companion:
Helena, also known as the Devout Intriguer. Works for the Teeth when not accompanying Moriarty at sea. It’s a complicated relationship.

Newspaper: The London Herald. "Read by All of Good Character! Untouched by censors or the powers that be! Dedicated to bringing you the truth, and heralding a new age!"

Ship:
The Aphrodite (Majestic Pleasure Yacht)

Gang of Hoodlums:
The Rooks. A queer sort of gang. Known to the police, yet unmolested. They never seem to be caught doing any thing, and only ever appear two at a time. They carry the mark of the Rook, and never speak of their benefactor. Few know their numbers. Fewer cross them.

Associates:
Lana (Alluring Accomplice)
Cesare (Ruthless Henchman)
Louis (Devious Henchman)
Feckless Supporters (The Bishops)
Davie (Winsome Dispossessed Orphan)
Hareton (Grubby Urchin)
Lucille (A Daughter in the Shadows)

Pets and Creations
Niccolo (Devious Raven Advisor)
Sophie (Albino Rat)
Bubbles (Rubbery Hound)
Dotty (Ocular Toadbeast)
Aslane (Tomb-Lion)
Obdurate Stallion (Sally)
Thoroughly-Cowed Pony (A battered tag, the same sooty color as it’s skin, reads “Pinkie”)
Giggles (Somnolent Hynena)
Jeeves (Corresponding Ocelot)
Parabolus (Bifurcated Owl)
Maharani (Bengal Tigress)
Severus (Hound of Heaven)
Rumblefish (Araby Fighting Weasel)
Chance (Lucky Weasel)
Barnaby (Partisan Messenger Tortoise)
Matty (Talkative Rattus-Faber)
Jiggy (Deshrieked Mandrake)
Cuddles (Fairly-Tame Sorrow Spider)
Remy (Working Rat)
Salazar (Reprehensible Lizard)
Eeyore (Sulky Bat)
Sunny (Cheerful Goldfish)
Algernon (Disgraced Rattus-Faber Bandit-Chief)
Hannibal (Rattus Faber Bandit Chief)
Bert (Malevolent Monkey)
Marv (Cardsharp Monkey)
Audrey (Singular Plant)

The pets have mostly the run of the Estate, much to the servant’s dismay. While most animals in the Neath enjoy a degree of sentience, Maharani, Jeeves, Algernon, Hanibal, Dotty, and Niccolo are the most intelligent of them. Given Tigers are nigh human in intellect, Maharani practically runs the household in Moriarty’s absence, given Helena is a Lady of industry. The L.B.'s keep to themselves, mostly. Though Moriarty is quite sympathetic to ratly concerns. Most of the pets are wise enough to avoid predation outside of feeding time. Only the monkeys would risk it, and Maharani would devour them whole if she found out.
edited by friendshipranger on 2/1/2013

This reminds me that I haven’t chosen a name for the Gang of Hoodlums. Though I’d honestly think they’d be better off without one, considering that officially they don’t even exist :)

Maharani – very nice! A Bengal Tigress should be nothing less. :)

I’d side with Marv, if nothing because it reminds me of Sin City _

I don’t know about a name, but my gang of hoodlums is made up of former meteorologists and astrologers who found themselves unemployable in the Neath.

I’m afraid I don’t have names for all of my things yet, but I shall list them here and edit as I come up with names for everyone.

Affiliations:
[i]Fifth City Times /i
“the guys” (Gang of Hoodlums) ← They don’t officially exist (and not all of them are aware of all the others).

Transports:
Midnight (Obdurate Stallion)
Velvet (Thoroughly Cowed Pony)

Ship:
Nights Revenge (Swift Zee-Clipper) ← FL won’t let me have the properly apostrophized version.

Constant Companion:
[currently unnamed] (Female Devout Intriguer)

Pets:
Phoebe (Alluring Accomplice)
Monica (Daughter in the Shadows)
Argus (Ocular Toadbeast)
Anju (Subtle Mole)
Tsukikage (Bitter Saker Falcon) ← translates to “Moon Shadow”. A meta-game joke by the player.
Mizuki (Albino Rat) ← Another meta-game reference
Onryo (Slavering Dream-Hound)

Yet to be named:

[unnamed] (Devious Henchman) ← I’m leaning towards Jack, but there are already far too many of those in FL.
[unnamed] (Malevolent Monkey)
[unnamed] (Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief) ← I’ve sort of been leaning towards “Boss” – that’s what my other rats would call him (if I had other rats).
[unnamed] (Araby Fighting Weasel)
[unnamed] (Reprehensible Lizard)
[unnamed] (10 x Cheerful Goldfish) ← not important enough for names
[unnamed] (3 x Sulky Bats)
[unnamed] (Unfinished Hat) ← I probably shouldn’t name this…
edited by protonsinthedark on 2/1/2013

I don’t know about a name, but my gang of hoodlums is made up of former meteorologists and astrologers who found themselves unemployable in the Neath.[/quote]

I laughed out loud at this. Something about a mental image of a man threatening somebody with a bag of birthstones. :)
edited by friendshipranger on 2/1/2013

Or a weighted telescope! friendshipranger, is… is your pony a Neathy Pinkie Pie who has been pushed to breaking point? I promise not to cry at the answer. Oh, and I was sure I had seen streetfelineblue’s “Melchizedek” in another context, and it’s just come to me - Gaudy Night mentioned a fearsome Victorian figure by the name of the Reverend Melchisedek Entwistle.

Entwistle? That’s too funny not to be homage to Tolkien. And yes, the Pony is named for Pinkie Pie. God knows what Veils did, though. Or what the Bazaar is up to, mucking around in other universes. Although, I have toyed with the idea that the Bazaar is something akin to a giant interdimensional repository of stories, and it simply focuses on love stories because they transcend cultural context. Then it would make sense for characters from other stories to spontaneously arrive. And how genre-saavy the Masters seem to be…Of course, that means the Masters are currently watching us play Doghunt…

Well, this is StoryNexus after all!
edited by protonsinthedark on 2/2/2013

Well, this is StoryNexus after all!
edited by protonsinthedark on 2/2/2013[/quote]
I shouldn’t have laughed. But I did it anyway.