The Hourglass Association

Ahhhh, London. A place of mystery, magic, and secrets where he who is most watchful has access to many of it secrets. Yet some strive to use these secrets for nefarious crimes, and while some civilians do tend to end up on the other side of the law, these criminals are more ambitious, hoping to being in an era of crime in London. This is why now, a new society has been formed. One that would be comprised of some of the most brilliant minds that have ever resided in London. These few would be people of all stripes, detectives, inventors, scientists, and even wise sailors. All that was required, was that these people needed to be both watchful and adventurous. This was the Hourglass Association.

You see the advertisements everywhere, on the walls, in the papers, even in the bottom of your shoe once. The previous paragraph is inscribed on it, along with an address on Ladybones road. Upon arriving there, you see the Association’s founder, Koldun Hitch, sitting back on a recliner, with several other comfortable looking chairs arranged in a ring in the room, yet there are also several other chairs beside him, with only the words &quotReserved&quot on them. Upon seeing you, he nods, and motions to the ring of recliners, and simply says, &quotWait.&quot

It had been hard for Amelia to ignore the fliers and posters. They had been scattered everywhere and not just in copious amounts in Ladybones Road. The wind (maybe the wind?) had scattered them to the corners of London and she found more than a few over in Spite. Along with some snickers and hushed tones about a &quotmini constable club.&quot She can’t argue with that but she doesn’t brush it off entirely. There can always be something to gain from a salon of people, even small. Everyone likes to talk and boast about their skills when there’s an audience watching. Even she knows there could be a benefit to even watching those that do come to this &quotassociation.&quot Resolved she takes one of the papers and starts with the address.

The time it takes her to arrive is not long but she had wished traveling had been better. Though walking inside and seeing the circle of chairs makes her think otherwise for a moment. Reserved seating. She could only imagine the seats were there for close friends or more higher up on the societal staircase of life. The kind she hated with every fiber of her being. &quotI’ll stand,&quot she says simply. Only ever looking back at the door before looking ahead. But she keeps silent, swallowing back her judgement and keeping her senses sharp for anything.

“Sit, sit, these chairs are for anyone who wishes to join. The two chairs beside with reserved plaques are only for the founders. Go ahead and sit on any recliner without a plaque.” You see he speaks true, the circle of chairs are all recliners, but they do not have any plaques. The only ones that do are the ones in the center of the circle. All other chairs are bare, no plaques to be found.

Amelia quirks an eyebrow to him before looking to the circle. Seemed more than odd to her outside of the plaques. But if the host feels so inclined to speak about seating, she won’t argue over it. This isn’t a time to start a debate over something as trifling as a chair. So she seats herself opposite to the host, stretching her legs out a bit before reclining into her seat.

A Curious Captain strides through the doorway and into the room. They stand straight, if not tall. Their uniform is not in fact black, but is rather a shade of irrigo so dark it appears so. On their shoulder, perched, is a tiny black cat. Once Constance was a Viscountess, now – due to some amorous misadventures during her youth – she has been exiled from the Court of Cats, however seven litters of kittens, Seven, and all their descendants have rendered her Respectable beyond belief.

The Captain sits, eyeing the other two individuals in the room.

&quotAmelia,&quot they nod, &quotI know I’ve seen you around, at Salons perhaps, but we’ve never been formally introduced. It’s a pleasure. Koldun, I fear I have only heard of you, I shall happily assume the bad to be lies and the good to be truth – you should assume the reverse of myself.&quot

They grin, close-mouthed, no teeth showing at all, &quotI should in all honesty admit that I am a complex creature, and I am known well to both the Constables and the Criminals, though my own loyalties lie with the Docks. Yet, I try in all I do to be magnanimous and to be kind if I can, and only as ruthless as I must be. Nor do I begrudge those who have Hunted me in the least, any more than I care for the feelings of the evil-doers I choose to Hunt.&quot

&quotIf such complexities are something you fear the Founders will not accept, then I shall depart. I have no desire to harm your efforts or set back their plans. But if you think a balanced view of ‘AND’ might be of value to this cause, then I am your . … Captain.&quot

Well, I am sure they will have no problem with you, in fact they are most likely overjoyed with someone with such a “colorful” background being part of the Association. Mostly because, “I” am the founder. The chairs are reserved for those I will wish to be administrators of the club, and for now, the chairs are for several people who have already proven their worth to me. But for now, I am more than overjoyed to have you two here. Now, how about a little game? In one word, describe what you think this club is.

Amelia gives a tip of her hat to the captain. She had seen them before in a few salons. But this had been the first time every exchanging more than a glance and a few phrases. &quotSame to ya,&quot she speaks clearly. One could assume it’s because for once she’s sober and not half way through a bottle. &quotI’m sure you’ve heard a few things here and there on my reputation but that’s nothing here. Where anyone’s loyalties lies seems unimportant for now. Real point of discussion is whats in the ads.&quot She takes out the parchment she saved and tapped it gently. &quotCriminals being front and center… Not surprising things have been in the high rise and for more than just criminals too. But that’s how it is here, right?&quot

She narrows her eyes a bit to the founder, not exactly sure how to take it. &quotDowny,&quot she says simply. &quotCourse you could say otherwise. But even with the simplicity of ta arrangements here, you can’t tell me it’s not a bit suspect.&quot She pockets the parchment before gesturing to the seating. &quotSeems less like wantin’ to get to know people and more like you want to see the kind of color o’ Neath life you fished out. Though that’s not to say I’m against it. I wouldn’t be here otherwise.&quot

Well, yes. I do wish to see personas of all different backgrounds to join this association. We are a detective agency at the core, aren’t we? I want people with connections, and different kinds of knowledge at their disposal. This club’s main focus is intelligence, but that is not limited to only high collar Society types is it? Anyone can be rich, but not everyone can be intelligent.

“Intriguing.”
The other people in the room jump a little when a voice with the faintest hint of a foreign accent comes from a corner out of sight. There is a small woman seated on a chair, hands resting in a walking cane, a small sulky bat on her shoulder. As all eyes dart in her direction, she smiles and waves. “Sorry, I did not want to interrupt the conversation before. So I waited to say my word.”
As the other people keep staring at her perplexed, she shrugs. “I knocked. It is not my fault that you were not paying attention.” Smiling brightly at Mr Hitch, she adds: “I am Strix van Allen, the Inescapable Professor. I am just listening. Do not mind me.”
She seems too young to be a professor and too short to be the ill-tempered ball of fury that gave Feducci a run for his money once, but looks in Fallen London can be deceiving. The bat on her shoulder does look disdainful enough to be her trademark bat, at least.

[li]
&quotHello. I believe you wouldn’t mind offering me a place?&quot said a slightly short man, in a worn suit and rather thick glasses on his nose, who stood in the door &quotDetective Sargeant Ryszard Maszyszoszyszoszyszoszyszoszyszoszyszoszyszoszyszowski. Heard you were trying to stop criminals? As much as I would have to return to the steel plants of Duisburg, I prefer criminals to be in jail. Better to stop them than let thefts to be run, no?&quot

Yes 0f course. Take a seat Mr. Ryszard. You as well, Professor.

Amelia’s eyes shift a bit upon the new comers. Even less for the jostle and stir from the crowd. Adjusting her hat closer to her eyes, she looks over to the detective with a sly grin. &quotCourse the rich s’not intelligent. Some don’t need to be when they have power and numbers at their disposal. But like I said before a status isn’t important once you clamber through the doors. We’re all here for the same thing in the end, I’m sure.&quot Though she can’t say the declaration of jailing all criminals isn’t without some naivety. Honorable at best but naive and blind to what really lies at the top and beyond to her.

&quotBeg’n your pardon, don’t mean to cross the game but if’n we want to know each other better maybe some proper introductions are in order? Amelia Syrus, you lot can call me Amelia if you so desire. I’d prefer Madam if it can be helped. My occupation…&quot There’s a grin she suppresses a bit as she reclines into the chair a new. &quotRumors tend to paint me as a lot of things and I do know a lot of constables seem to say troublemaker is my status. Nothing to them but they like to see less with their eyes when echoes are around and more when they see a problem to a few establishments if you catch me. But if’n you seek information at a fast pace than I’m your lass. Nary a bloke in the Neath can top me and if they do than they most likely have more than some aide on their side.&quot Whether or not people assume that makes her a nark is what she’s banking on.

So, you provide information on less than legal personalities. Good, your cache of information should prove useful in our endeavor. Next?

Someone else walks into the circle. An individual recently seen not a month ago on the walls of the Department, bearing the title of Jack-of-Smiles. Unlike what the bounty-papers would have you believe, they seem calm and do not bear the bladed armament usually wielded by the famous murderer(s).
“Forgive me, I was led to understand some sort of unofficial Safety Committee is being created here. I am interested in joining.”
Following the common trend, they plop into one of the more comfortable chairs.
“Vavakx Nonexus - generally knowledgeable citizen, owner of a small shop on Ladybones’” they pull out an ivory figurine of one decidedly uninteresting fellow. “Made it myself…”
A long pause follows as they wonder where to place the statuette before hiding it into one of their pockets, whence it came.
“Can we bring in a table? We will need something to place future evidence and other materials on.”

&quotAh, I see you are already thinking ahead. You will be an excellent addition to the society.&quot Hitch pulls back a lever, and the large open area within the ring of seats opens up to form one large round table. On it there are piles of books, scrolls and all sorts of relics. &quotPlace the figurine on the table, we always like a creative type in our organization.&quot
edited by Koldun on 5/24/2016

Having considered things for some time, then watched the others arriving, the Captain offers an answer to Koldun’s question. "Intriguing. I believe this club is Intriguing. It could in fact exist for any number of reasons – many of which could be counter to it’s stated purpose. It’s potential seems high, and the risks nominal, but until I know more I fear it must remain “Intriguing”.

Absimiliard nods to Vavakx, “Good to see you again.” They rise, briefly, when Professor Strix arrives, “Terribly glad to see you, how have your expeditions done? Would you be interested in exchanging notes in the future, just to while away time in research while at zee of course – no commitment beyond that required.” Rysiek draws the greatest response as the Captain rises and goes to shake his hand enthusiastically. “I don’t think we’ve spoken in months. I feel terrible. I simply must tell Agata we finally got a chance to chat while waiting here. Please, tell me how you’ve been as it seems we have a few more moments before things begin.”

&quotThank you.&quot they place the object of worry on the surface. &quotI don’t think I’ve ever seen such a system. It’s ratwork, right? Probably costs a lot, too.&quot
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 5/24/2016

[quote=absimiliard]Having considered things for some time, then watched the others arriving, the Captain offers an answer to Koldun’s question. &quotIntriguing. I believe this club is Intriguing. It could in fact exist for any number of reasons – many of which could be counter to it’s stated purpose. It’s potential seems high, and the risks nominal, but until I know more I fear it must remain &quotIntriguing&quot.

Absimiliard nods to Vavakx, &quotGood to see you again.&quot They rise, briefly, when Professor Strix arrives, &quotTerribly glad to see you, how have your expeditions done? Would you be interested in exchanging notes in the future, just to while away time in research while at zee of course – no commitment beyond that required.&quot Rysiek draws the greatest response as the Captain rises and goes to shake his hand enthusiastically. &quotI don’t think we’ve spoken in months. I feel terrible. I simply must tell Agata we finally got a chance to chat while waiting here. Please, tell me how you’ve been as it seems we have a few more moments before things begin.&quot[/quote]

[li]
&quotMy life turned a bit crazy… I have my doubts about my profession, whether I am actually needed, since my Super tries to get me to work with the ministry of public decency… as if there weren’t more important things to do… Agata moved out… I was peomoted… I have problems with a criminal… h—, I am afraid I may have fallen in love, Absimiliard. And as I see, you changed quite a lot too? What happened. Oh yeah, to those who don’t know me, you can call me Rysiek and whoever has the d—ed idea to call me Mr. Ryszard again… actually, will just make me upset… and if I really get angry loose a tooth or two…&quot

“Pulleys, actually, not rats, I believe in a more mechanical lifestyle. Well, now that we have quite a few people we can begin. First of all, if you hope to live normal life, never encountering an oddity, please leave. If you don’t feel joy when discovering a secret, also leave. And finally, if you hate adventure, also leave.” Awaits a response.

The Captain raises an eyebrow, intrigued, but says nothing in objection.