The horror of the Rubbery Men.

I have been fascinated with the Rubbery Men since I started playing the game, though there is very little in the way of explanation/ interaction (it seems) until you reach higher levels of game play. Nevertheless, I thought there was something almost charming and sweet about their large sorrowful looking eyes, their cute top hats, and their snazzy green suits. Connected Rubbery Men was probably (aside from Criminals) the stat I worked hardest to increase and maintain.

I stumbled across something on i09.com that made me realize just how grotesque a rubbery man would be. The card that depicts them is this familiar one:

But this work by Christian Rex Van Minnen paints a far less palatable portrait:

Though i’m sure his inspiration is drawn from elsewhere i was so forcibly reminded of the rubbery men that I had to share. Other portraits are available for viewing (if you can stand it) here: Grotesque Portraits of Aristocrats from Another Dimension

[quote=Fifi Goldbetter]I have been fascinated with the Rubbery Men since I started playing the game, though there is very little in the way of explanation/ interaction (it seems) until you reach higher levels of game play. Nevertheless, I thought there was something almost charming and sweet about their large sorrowful looking eyes, their cute top hats, and their snazzy green suits. Connected Rubbery Men was probably (aside from Criminals) the stat I worked hardest to increase and maintain.

I stumbled across something on i09.com that made me realize just how grotesque a rubbery man would be. [snipping image]

Though i’m sure his inspiration is drawn from elsewhere i was so forcibly reminded of the rubbery men that I had to share. Other portraits are available for viewing (if you can stand it) here: http://io9.com/grotesque-portraits-of-aristocrats-from-another-dimensi-453767313[/quote]

This painting looks more like an Ocular Toadbeast to me–except that it doesn’t show anything toadlike.
edited by cathyr19355 on 3/17/2013

Ocular Toadbeast you say? I am repulsed and intrigued…but still thoroughly disgusted. I think i can wait for however long it takes to find out exactly what one of those things are.

That picture looks way worse than the Rubbery Men actually would be. They’re based on squid, and squid are adorable. I don’t doubt that Rubbery Men would look terribly awkward and possibly a little unnerving in their resemblance to humans, but I don’t think they’d be on that level of grotesque.

You’ll run into an Ocular Toadbeast if you spend Fate on both Flute Street and the continuation of Theological Husbandry. I don’t think it really turns up otherwise.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 3/17/2013

Good lord, is that a mushroom cap on its head?! How frightfully strange. And the seemingly disembodied mouth near its neck! Horrific!
edited by Dawson on 3/17/2013

That is what happened when a Rubbery Man fell in love with a human lass.

More horrifying I think is the truth behind their Amber trade.

I gagged at first; but then, I thought that the thing’s face rather resembled a bunch of grapes.

I proceeded to lose all ability to take the picture seriously.

But really, I hardly think a rubbery man would look that horrible. Myself, I believe that Rubbery man hatred manifests more in traditional xenophobia than any outright disgust.

Guess it’s up to me to say it: I’d hit that. :p

I like to think I’m an open-minded person who can and will respect other people due to their personalities and actions rather than their physical features. (I may not always act like it…but I like to think I do!) Anyway, I’m seriously not bothered by the picture. I understand why humans would consider Rubbery Men hideous. On the flip side, it’s not as if Rubbery Men would or should consider us attractive. Erm, this isn’t to say that there’s a mutual disgust.

I also think squid are cute creatures. I wonder, were people from late 19th century England not as familiar with squid like we are today? I suppose your first meeting with one could be shocking and disturbing since they’re so unlike the other aquatic creatures a layman would know.

I think it’s a combination. For some of those doing the stoning, though, I think they’re just relieved they’re not the ones being stoned. If you don’t join in, you might end up presenting yourself as an outcast. You don’t want to look like an outcast in front of a mob with stones, do ya? Sometimes, it feels safer to conform with others…even if it’s in hatred.

I haven’t read much of the advanced Rubbery Men content like Flute Street yet, but from where I’m currently standing, I view the Rubbery Men as people that have largely been ostracized and belittled by society due to their physical natures. As story elements, I see the Rubbery Men as part H.P. Lovecraft tribute, part H.P. Lovecraft satire, part social statement on discrimination, and part fun for those gamers who enjoy cultural study (regardless that it’s fictional and largely done in Flute Street). I look forward to further interactions with my favorite betentacled chums!

About xenophobia, the Fallen Londoners only arrived during the past couple decades; they seem to be the ones most likely to be mistrusted by the Neath’s other denizens who have lived there far longer. Goodness, aren’t we the alien foreigners? It reminds me of the sidebar snippet:
"Why do they call it the Elder Country?
That vast continent to the South with a glowing mountain at its heart - where the Presbyter has ruled for a thousand years - is older by far than any of London’s civilisations. Which is embarrassing."

Hiii, neighbor. Try not to fling any of your Wax-Wind my way, thanks!

"What is the Wax-Wind?
On rare days, an impossible tempest sweeps out of the Elder Continent: a wild wind carrying the scent of boiling honey and a storm of molten wax. Ships that fall prey to the Wax-Wind float like filthy icebergs in the Unterzee, their crews confined in wax, mouths fixed in endless screams."

Oh, darn, too late. Better grab some towels.

I like the rubbery men and women, and one of my goals in the game is to get a rubbery appendage. Though my feelings might be related to the fact that I don’t know where amber comes from yet. Though I do have a few hypotheses…

Just a note:
Rubbery men are native to the Neath.
Of course Londoners treat them with contempt. They did that with everyone they conquered.

Personally, I imagine the fellows looking more like this:

Very charming.

[quote=narcissus_echo]Personally, I imagine the fellows looking more like this:

Very charming.[/quote]

Aye this is more in line with how I imagine them as well. The other picture looks like a face of grapes to me. (Though very disconcerting and freaky grapes at that).

Very charming.[/quote]
This picture is on my desk at work…

See, that picture doesn’t inspire horror or disgust at all. And yes, it is rather charming in its own way.

But seriously, where’d you get that picture from?

[quote=omegasavant]Just a note:
Of course Londoners treat them with contempt. They did that with everyone they conquered.[/quote]

Oh, VERY well said, though the Londoners in this case have to get over themselves because I think that they count as the conquered too…

Very charming.[/quote]

Well this is a very distinguished looking Rubbery fellow! I guess my thought for the rubbery men was that they didn’t all necessarily look like squid, that they were all variations on a theme of bipedal / sentient aquatic creature, and that the squid - faced avatar we see is the most acceptable of the bunch.

[quote=omegasavant]Just a note:
Of course Londoners treat them with contempt. They did that with everyone they conquered.[/quote]
This, sadly, I’d be inclined to agree with.

That second picture is wonderful, though! The first is a little too surreal for my mind to accept as possible.

I love that second picture. Now one question. Are there also rubbery women in London? Do they wear tophats?

Yes, there are female Rubbery Men in London. When you hand over Warm Amber to one of them your character gets the impression that this particular one is female.

Braggart!

Considering some of the Rubbery journal entries out there, I don’t think you’re too far from the truth.

[quote=Fifi Goldbetter][quote=omegasavant]Just a note:

Oh, VERY well said, though the Londoners in this case have to get over themselves because I think that they count as the conquered too…[/quote]
Haha, that’s possibly why certain high-ranking individuals from the Palace are making inroads to the Elder Continent. If the heart of the British Empire (is the Empress still ruling the Surface Empire?) doesn’t get back to formally conquering other people and their land, the citizens might lose that lovely and pompous imperialist attitude some hold so dear (though I also think the Palace is trying to prepare for the drop of the Sixth City).