The Great Game and the Watcher.

We know there are entire conversations committed to record detailing how best to become connected to the various factions throughout London, but we have been unable to discover a thread relating to how one might foster a closer relationship to the Game. Though we have not quite reached the societal status many of our peers have, we have but one quality to advance until we are able to proclaim ourself as a Person of Some Importance.[li]

To be blunt: we seek to become a Watcher, and we are wondering if there are any benefits to be had by going through the (tortuous) trials of advancing my reputation with the Great Game until we are able to become a Watcher under their instruction.

So: is it better for those who wish to be involved in the Game to pursue their version of Watchfulness, and if so, how might we gain their affections as quickly as possible?

(We apologize if this post is less than eloquent; our time is unfortunately short.)

[quote=Snowskeeper]We know there are entire conversations committed to record detailing how best to become connected to the various factions throughout London, but we have been unable to discover a thread relating to how one might foster a closer relationship to the Game. Though we have not quite reached the societal status many of our peers have, we have but one quality to advance until we are able to proclaim ourself as a Person of Some Importance.[li]

To be blunt: we seek to become a Watcher, and we are wondering if there are any benefits to be had by going through the (tortuous) trials of advancing my reputation with the Great Game until we are able to become a Watcher under their instruction.

So: is it better for those who wish to be involved in the Game to pursue their version of Watchfulness, and if so, how might we gain their affections as quickly as possible?

(We apologize if this post is less than eloquent; our time is unfortunately short.)[/quote]

Actually if you plan to become a Watcher it might be better to choose the OTHER faction, as accepting the profession means losing some levels in the related Connected quality. The faction who sponsored you is completely uninfluential once you have obtained the Profession.

[/li]

[quote=streetfelineblue][quote=Snowskeeper]We know there are entire conversations committed to record detailing how best to become connected to the various factions throughout London, but we have been unable to discover a thread relating to how one might foster a closer relationship to the Game. Though we have not quite reached the societal status many of our peers have, we have but one quality to advance until we are able to proclaim ourself as a Person of Some Importance.[li]

(We apologize if this post is less than eloquent; our time is unfortunately short.)[/quote]

Actually if you plan to become a Watcher it might be better to choose the OTHER faction, as accepting the profession means losing some levels in the related Connected quality. The faction who sponsored you is completely uninfluential once you have obtained the Profession.

[/li][/quote]

[li]
Ah! We find this agreable; many thanks.

My pleasure. I was what you are; I am what you will be. Or so I hope for you.

and while you are a Watcher - you will get connected Great Game as part of your payment every week. I think the other route has the requirement of Favouring the Constable from the Cheery Man and the Last Constable so if you chose the Cheery Man on that story you will have to use Great Game.

[li]
… Drat.

Oh, drat indeed. I still haven’t qualified for becoming a Watcher through the Great Game card. Mostly because I’m saving the necessary storylet for when I can actually use the Making Waves, but also because it’s a big decision to make.

Not that I plan to become a Watcher, but at one time I saw it as the natural choice. I’m still considering my options though, so it’s still a possibility. Good thing I sided with the Last Constable.

[quote=Gillsing]Oh, drat indeed. I still haven’t qualified for becoming a Watcher through the Great Game card. Mostly because I’m saving the necessary storylet for when I can actually use the Making Waves, but also because it’s a big decision to make.

Not that I plan to become a Watcher, but at one time I saw it as the natural choice. I’m still considering my options though, so it’s still a possibility. Good thing I sided with the Last Constable.[/quote]

Well, if it may help, I liked both the Profession itself and its evoluton (Agent and Midnighter), possibly because I fell in love with the spy’s arts in Fallen London with the Cheesemonger storyline and never stopped loving them. But feel free to browse the different Professions, their rewards and their characterization before making a choice ^^