The Great Crate Commotion Returns!

Liberation is very poorly understood before Hurlers.
It is not an evil outcome.
It is an overthrow of the very source of tyranny itself, after all.

All the others are just “let’s have tyranny but with funny trackbeasts” or “let’s have tyranny, but with a say in what flavor it is”

2 Likes

During the first event I got confused about the global quality and I think that’s the way it should be: a limited number of crates and the faction that amasses the most when time or number runs out, wins.

It doesn’t make much sense to have a quality that lowers or raises like it was with the Urchin wars.

1 Like

Well as Lord Vetenari puts it “ You see, the only thing the good people are good at is overthrowing the bad people. And you’re good at that, I’ll grant you. But the trouble is it’s the only thing you’re good at. One day it’s the ringing of the bells and the casting down of the evil tyrant, and the next it’s everyone sitting around complaining that ever since the tyrant was overthrown no one’s been taking out the trash. Because the bad people know how to plan. It’s part of the specification, you might say. Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don’t seem to have the knack.” from Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchet

2 Likes

The trope of well-organized tyrants is boring.

It’s also, if that needed saying, incorrect.

4 Likes

Well sure, of course tyrants don’t actually work in real life. Although if we’re talking about what works and doesn’t work in real life, destroying the thing that makes almost all life possible is pretty high on the doesn’t work side.

3 Likes

I’d agree. My main worry with the liberationists is that I do not trust the Calendar Council. While Irem’s recent stuff gives a slightly nicer view of a potential Liberation, the original destinies very much painted it as a revolution at the cost of most of the poor and disenfranchised and with the empowerment of those who already were the worst (The Capitivating Princess definitely first in that, but it’s a sad feature that the rulers of each city seem to survive everything while everyone else gets shafted). I feel like the Emancipationists honestly have a more practical program for radical change that won’t cause everyone to die just so that a few assorted rich folks can say they broke every conceivable law (I have the same trouble with the Devils).

I will totally agree on the issue of well-organised tyrants. The judgements are not a better option here.

2 Likes

#Spoilers:

It’s very clear from the lore that FL universe is very different from ours.

The suns are the epitome of tyranny (it is not called a Chain of Being for no reason), and also, there are direct accounts of possible futures where everything is fine, actually, without the suns.

Anyway: I did not want to make a polemic for the liberation of Night, people should make up their own minds, but I did want to contradict false assumptions.

1 Like

Let’s not forget about January’s “speech” about the Liberationists before founding the city: Ask her about the Liberationists (January) - Fallen London Wiki. I don’t have a linki with the echo, so here’s the text from my notes.
SPOILER:

In the dark

From her pocket she takes something the size of a pocketwatch, and turns a dial. At once, the lamplight goes black. You cannot see a line around the door, or any indication of which way might lead outside.

No: it isn’t enough to say that the light is gone. You must say the darkness is present: thick as cream, dark as a Midnight Matriarch. Your breath slows. Your thoughts clarify. Obligations feel less pressing.

Only after a long, sacramental pause does January say, “This is the Liberation.” Her voice is deeper and more resonant than when she speaks in the light.

1 Like

It is an unexpected thing that the conversation on the fate of crates turns into the debate on the fates of the world :slight_smile:
With this background, my point seems impertinent and stupidly profane, as it is actually about the crates.
I wonder what happens if the two factions get exactly the same number of crates? Or if we just open all the crates ourselves? I understand there’s little chance to know, and this only makes me more curious!
I like opening the crates. It’s kind of a gamble, and it’s fun! Probably less profitable than turning them in (I haven’t count the exact numbers, but it does turn a load of crap from time to time), but I’m not after the strictly highest profit. The element of surprise really does it)

1 Like

if they get the same number of crates, all the factions of the Neath realise that they really just want to make people’s lives better, and so they work together, bringing the Neath into a new golden age of peace and prosperity.

Or we find out whether it rounds up or down.

5 Likes