The Fruits of the Zee are Upon Us!

Please pardon my ignorance and poor memory. Is there any use for Curator’s Gratitude now that the summer event is over?

It still can be used to redeem certain useful expendable items, although the exchange rate is less profitable than during the Museum event.

These days I just do heists and steal from the Museum.

2 Likes

Gratitude is I think still valued at 1 penny per gratitude. If I remember right, the reward is 6250 gratitude, so 62.5 echoes worth of gratitude. You can trade it in at the museum, for a variety of reward options of that value.

Thank you! This definitely explains it all - I did not notice the exclamation point and was rather baffled. Now it’s all solved - it is a different wimple after all! I got the first one following the original story, and I guess last year I just didn’t hit the right catch value to see the other one.

Thank you for the explanation! Now wimple is a strange noise to me too…

Thank you for the explanation. Yeah, the reward feels like mockery, for what it takes to get.
The other repeatable rewards are not very impressive too, but they do as a consolation prize)

It does seem like there’s going to be something more to the story, but, considering the ending of this month’s Exceptional story… probably it’s just 6250 Gratitude :woman_shrugging:

Like I said earlier, it was very much the same at last year’s festival with the Mr Wines storyline. The only real reward for playing through it is the story itself, in material terms it’s quite underwhelming. I wouldn’t expect any additional follow-up either.

What is it good for? I had one from the Lab, before I started improving the Toxicology skill, but sold it because it didn’t feel like a very nice item to have. Did I make a tons-of-actions worth mistake?)

Sounds like I got a much better reward in form of a bit of Seeking content.

Would you mind sharing the echo? I messed up on unlocking the option for that one.

Here’s an echo of the SMEN option.

4 Likes

Above I said, “I will see if I can get a guaranteed success on a Submerged Rector by raising my catch to 12.” Short answer is that I could not. I tried five consecutive fishing trips. I got up to 8 on the 1st trip which was then cut back to 4 to start the 2nd trip. On the next four trips, my maximum catch and what this was cut back to were: 9/4, 10/5, 9/4, 9/4, 9/4. Actually, the last one was not cut back because I simply landed my catch at 9. On all of these, I used the last chance to get +6 to my catch value. I used every partial match and zee-story that came up. I passed 100% of the quirk challenges. I never even got close to 12. I do not see how it could be possible for me to reach a catch rating of 12. I got lucky once to reach 10 which allowed me to start at 5 on the next fishing trip. To reach 12 from a starting point of 5, I would need 63 change points. I think there are 10 possible actions in the cycle including the last chance. Assuming 3 partial map options (30 CP), 3 zee-story options (15 CP), and one final chance (6 CP), this is 51 CP. I would need 12 CP from the remaining 3 actions which is impossible since you can only get 2CP from a quirk test option.

So what if I got 3 partial maps, 4 zee-story, and 1 last chance for a total of 56 CP. I would then need 7 CP from 2 actions - again impossible.

3 PM, 5 ZS, 1 LC = 61 which, coupled with 2 CP from the one remaining action, would yield the required 63 CP

4 PM, 2 ZS, 1 LC = 56 which, coupled with 6 CP from the 3 remaining actions, would yield only 62 CP.

4 PM, 3 ZS, 1 LC = 61 which, coupled with 4 CP from the 2 remaining actions, would yield 65 - enough to reach a catch level of 12.

So, to reach a strange catch of 12, I would have to get either 3 partial map options and 5 zee-story or 4 partial map and 3 zee-story. While these are technically possible, it seems unlikely the RNG would ever be so kind.

Getting the PM option has a 20% chance and getting the ZS option has a 21% chance. I am not a great statistician so I will not attempt to calculate it but getting enough of these in 9 tries is statistically possible but very low in probability. Also remember that this assumes you start from a strange catch value of 5 which is by itself tough to obtain.

I gave up on the Submerged Rector and headed back to London with my other 11 unique prizes. I will get back to grinding most of my renowns to 40 and my dreams to maximums.

Unlike many, I enjoyed my FotZ fest but this was probably because I had NONE of the unique items since this was, effectively, my first FotZ fest and because the RNG was quite kind to me for the most part.

1 Like

From my experience last year, the Submerged Reactor was an ‘easier’ item to obtain, you just need to pump up your Catch level with maps or zee stories whenever the option is available.

The ones in mid-range are trickier. And if your quirks are high but you need to fail challenges to get Catch level as low as possible… that’s quite annoying.

Alternatively, you can get it next year, hopefully the admins don’t remove or Fate-lock it.

sub

Yeah, it seems very difficult to get a Lv12 Strange Catch. However, do note that you don’t need to reach this level to get the submerged rector. From what I understand from the wiki, you already have 50% chance to get it with a Lv8 Catch. Lv12 means you have 100%, but considering the difficulty, I’d rather try the lower level Catches several times.

I would not give up on the Rector. The absence of a maximum ‘Picking’ value makes it one of the easiest items to get.

On fishing odds: Assuming you always take the item options, 100% the quirk options & the last chance, you most likely end up with 8 (34%) or 9 (33%) on the first run, maybe even 10 (11%).

At 8 or lower, I’d recommend going another round, as you’ll likely end up at 9 (42%) or 10 (33%), maybe even 11 (11%).

At 9 you work with the same odds, so you’ll probably just loop (as you’ve already experienced) but if you really want a higher ‘Running Battle’ (maybe you’re running high on Menaces), you can consider it. It’s still more likely to increase than to decrease.

At 10 or higher, STOP. It’s the best you’ll do. If you continue, you’ll just loop (41%), or decrease it agian (33%). It’s a waste of actions.

12 Never has any significent odds of happening.

1 Like

Mars and mrj, Very good points. I was initially focused on the 100% chance of getting the Submerged Rector if I reach a catch of 12. I don’t really need the SM for much. I do not need the persuasive or watchful he provides. I already have a Burrow church so too late for the SM there. The only uses would be for the Jurisdictional Dispute card where the SM would allow me to turn a Verse of the Counter Creed (12.5 E) into 36 scrip (18 E) for one action. This seems a reasonable use at 5.5 E per action. The other use is to lower nightmares while diving in the Magistracy via “Seek consolation from a Diving Companion” for which I really do not understand the value as I have done very little of this diving. Maybe I will go back to the FotZ and see if I can get the SM. Thanks for the advice.

I got a few favourable rolls and I now have 9 of the 13 unique rewards, so things got better since Friday.

On the other hand, 3 of the remaining rewards demand the very same pick values range (26–28), and the chances of getting such roll are 29% at best, so it looks like I’m about to experience the frustration my seniors’ felt at the beginning of the festival.

I’m not in a hurry to return to the main story (make your name) and I have almost two weeks to wrap things up here in the festival, so all should be well.

2 Likes

I have come to loathe this festival. The pitiful chance of actually getting to The Wrecker’s Cove inside of twenty actions renders the whole thing anti-fun. I always forget, and start off enjoying myself, but end up vowing never to sail to this stupid island ever again. This year I mean it. No, really, I do!!

4 Likes

The pitiful chance of actually getting to The Wrecker’s Cove inside of twenty actions renders the whole thing anti-fun.

The Hooded Lady will appear eventually when you spend a few actions for the various activities at the festival while still holding on to your Strange Catch.

The annoying thing is increasing your Wounds or Nightmare, but both menaces can be eliminated by giving your Strange Catch to the Custodial Chef or Melancholy Curate.

If only it were just a few. And coughing up your Strange Catch to lower menaces feels like having one’s nose rubbed in it.

5 Likes