The Fruits of the Zee are Upon Us!

Confusing it with elections, perhaps.

1 Like

Looks like I got all the non-Fate items from last year.

The new ones available this year are these two:

2 Likes

For those looking for a rough guide on which Strange Catch to aim for if you only want the new items, assuming a linear randomness (which isn’t always true, but is a helpful enough guide for what’s likely):

Strange Catch 5: (40% total) 40% Lamp-Cat
Strange Catch 6: (67% total) 33% Lamp-Cat, 33% Carriage
Strange Catch 7: (86% total) 28% Lamp-Cat, 28% Carriage, 28% Keelgraspers
Strange Catch 8: (75% total) 25% Lamp-Cat, 25% Carriage, 25% Keelgraspers

3 Likes

Ah, so Keelgraspers isn’t a Fate item.

2 Likes

First catch I was able to hand in very quickly, minimal fuss, and actually got one of the new items. Very lucky.
Second one, not so much.
Once again reminded why I hate these festival mechanics so much. Mrs Plenty is playing extremely hard to get.
It’s enough that getting the right catch and cove result itself includes random elements, please just separate the drop-off from the rest of the festival already…

Edit: Ah, and now I finally found her and the final cove value was wrong. Well, off to drop another 30+ actions…

Edit2: And I see they still haven’t fixed the Clay Man option after cutting SBL value by 80%. Nice bait for anyone who doesn’t live by the wiki.

1 Like

As it happens, I had the same pattern – and so did my housemate. I did wonder if they’d made a small adjustment, but it didn’t last.

I got the Carriage. Now attempting to get the Cat and the Keelgraspers.

One thing I realized from last year’s Fruits of the Zee event: you can really use this event to stockpile large amounts of Map Scraps and Zee Stories, which you might need in other places.

1 Like

I believe you can get one for fate

2 Likes

As I recall, the process of building the railway also offered a chance to get one fate-free?

1 Like

I was going to say the same thing, the RNG was being particularly obstructive this morning. (And yesterday too.) Maybe some values in the formula need tweaking or something, but it is aggravating to burn 20 actions just trying to get to the table through all the drunken revelers.

2 Likes

Believe me, it was even more frustrating for me last year. I had maxed (level 10) most of my quirks… which was not helpful for deliberately failing challenges on my fishing trip so as to get a low Catch number, needed to redeem certain unique rewards.

I had to go back to London and dosome things to lower my quirks.

This, in addition to the frustrating RNG elements on Mutton Island.

1 Like

And here I thought the Youthful Naturalist was going to be taking first place for “Most Unwise Scientific Pursuit Of The Year”, but along comes an outstanding upset from F.F Gerbrandt, following up on his classic “quest to transcend the boundaries of human form” with her own “failed attempt to ressurect the dead” manoeuvre, finishing off with a revolutionary project to not just alchemize, but publicly market a derivision of well-water.

The winner is still up in the air as we wait on results from the Judgements, but I can say without a doubt folks, this is a damn good year for the hubris of mankind.

6 Likes

Just imagine, how many Londoners have come to the Festival and seek her attention! She just can’t make it to everyone at the same time :joy:

2 Likes

Ah yes, my least favourite annual event. The Sights/Strange Catch/Wrecker’s Cove mechanic is really beginning to show its age. This year, I had already decided to not even bother fighting the RNG and just buy any items I want and the game still made me burn through 25 actions before I finally got a hold of the Hooded Lady.

2 Likes

The worst thing about it is that it’s layers of RNG.

Hope you get the right options to get a high enough catch when fishing, cycle through random Airs to turn in your fish (giving yourself menaces in the process, so you might have to turn in your fish to a separate randomly available option to clear them), then hope your fish randomly allows you to buy what you want. Repeat.

3 Likes

Yeah Caroline has been doing this 6 years now and this has been the hardest in terms of rng.

It hasn’t been a fun day here either. I’ve been trying to clear my menaces since they were at 5 (they’re both at 7 now), but I just can’t get sights to fall in the third I need.

Does leaving Mutton Island clear the strange catch? If not then I’ll probably go back to London to clear menaces and then come back. Seems easier, if it’s possible…

Yes, there’s a warning somewhere about that. I actually nipped back (after visiting the cove) for Time and popped over to Parabola, because I had both menaces at 7 by then (and know from earlier years that hitting 8 is no fun at all).

Finally done, the horror is past… until next year.