The Flowerdene Rookery on Trial

[quote=Kukapetal]Flesh-Stick: NO TEA!

ALSO, SHUT UP![/quote]
&quotI’ll settle for hot chocolate then. Awful idea to have a trial and not offer tea. Poor service.&quot

Zoe rushes around with several other costermongers to hand out tea. She has received anonymous payment to give out beverage to all those attend.

&quotFree tea! Free tea!&quot

Eli is allowed to take the stand and give his own testimony. He does not have a paper with him and speak plainly and without fervor.

&quotI am not an innocent man and I did not come here seeking clemency. I chose to appear before the court of my volition because I want all the people of London to know that everything I did, I did for the people of Spite. The Massacre was never meant to conspire the way it did, but I claim responsibility for the losses on both sides.

Furthermore, I can attest that none of the my soldiers intended to take innocent life and much of the innocent casualties were property of the lords of Flowerdene, and were sold as prostitutes and labor workers. It has been failed to mention that many more innocents escape due to to our efforts in keeping the alleyways uncongested, when the lords would have stopped our escape and killed any trespassers.

The people of Spite suffer still, but my soldiers and I have given them something they never had before: mobility and choice. People under tutelage have become doctors, barbers and lawyers as well as freelance thieves and members of the CC.

They are thoroughly educated so that there might be a generation of Londoners who fear the dark but are not forced to live within it.

I perpetrated the act and lead the assault. I admit to personally killing three humans, none of them permanently. Two with a firearm and one with a blade. Each of them wanted by the Special Constabulary.

I merely ask that you understand why I did what I did and make your decisions not based on what I have destroyed, but what I have created. Thank you.&quot

He recites a small poem before stepping down.

&quotEach man’s death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.&quot
edited by The Absurd Rogue on 6/23/2016

Zoe let out a small squeak when she finally notice the man on stand and what he said, but she bit her lip and does not speak out in defense of him immediately. Rather, she calls out a question: &quotMembers of CC? What is that?&quot

A member of the crowd clarifies for her. “The Crooked Cross. Unbelievable.”

Flesh-Stick: SEE EVERYBODY? HE WASN’T GOING AROUND MURDERING PEOPLE, HE WAS STORMING AN EVIL CRIME LORDS’ HIDEOUT AND TRYING TO RESCUE PEOPLE. IT WENT WRONG, BUT THAT’S NOT THE SAME AS OUTRIGHT MURDER.

a costermonger offers Flesh-Stick tea and he throws it in her face

“Hello Zoe, I’m glad to see you well, I’ll happily take some.”

glares at Flesh-Stick

The persecutor shakes his head dismissively. “Why should we hold a man to his intentions rather than his actions? Innocents are dead because of him.”

“Murderer!”

“Release him!”

The crowd is mostly veering against him, but a little less than a quarter of the crowd is on the fence.

The Sideline Occupant and Euphemian Game-Carver sips from their cup of tea and ask the fellow jury “Well, what do you think? I’m not going to get anything out of this either way, so I may actually vote along with the truth. Zoe?”

The crowd erupts into cries for blood. The crescendo however is weaker than before. Among the crowd, besides Amelia herself are other criminals and regulars of Spite. Their voices are silent as they contemplate things anew.

“What of the others?” She shouts to entice them. “Where is there blood?” She weaves about again, trying to not be seen she tries adding this new chant to the crowd.

[quote=Amelia Syrus]The crowd erupts into cries for blood. The crescendo however is weaker than before. Among the crowd, besides Amelia herself are other criminals and regulars of Spite. Their voices are silent as they contemplate things anew.

&quotWhat of the others?&quot She shouts to entice them. &quotWhere is there blood?&quot She weaves about again, trying to not be seen she tries adding this new chant to the crowd.[/quote]
&quotLet Eli out! Let Eli out!&quotthe horrible auburn haired defence yelled (since I think she isn’t really convincing…)[li]

The crowd does not fall silent, but attention clearly shifts to the voice that cried out moments before, although no-one exactly pinpoints Amelia’s location in the crowd. They demand clarification.

Even the criminals among the crowd look on, confused at the sudden cry. It’s enough to show her that her ploy didn’t work. So she stays in her new spot, looking outward and trying to gauge out the audience.

“Testimony from families!” She shouts behind a blonde. “Where is their outcry? Their blood. Let them have vengeance!” She moves again, seeing the inquiry and rage spark a bit. But she’s not certain how well it’ll hold this time as she begins to come up with a new plan.

The Persecutor grimaces. “If any families of the deceased wish to give testimony, may they step forward now!”

Silence. No-one moves and only awkward shuffles are heard.

“Friends or family. Coworkers or aquaintences. Anyone?” The Judge’s brow furrows in consternation. The Persecutor is stoic as a block of ice.

[quote=Amelia Syrus]Even the criminals among the crowd look on, confused at the sudden cry. It’s enough to show her that her ploy didn’t work. So she stays in her new spot, looking outward and trying to gauge out the audience.

&quotTestimony from families!&quot She shouts behind a blonde. &quotWhere is their outcry? Their blood. Let them have vengeance!&quot She moves again, seeing the inquiry and rage spark a bit. But she’s not certain how well it’ll hold this time as she begins to come up with a new plan.[/quote]
The blonde tries to stop Amelia &quotPardon madame. J’ai une question. Was passiert here? I am supposed to écrire for the Zeitung, mais I don’t understand.&quot[li]

Maria smirks &quotAs I said, your honour. NOBODY cares about those w***ers.&quot Finally, her defence started to work &quotjust let him free. Please.&quot[li]

Flesh-Stick: CAUSE INTENTIONS MATTER! IF HE DIDN’T GO IN THERE WITH THE INTENTION OF KILLING THE (INNOCENT) PEOPLE THERE, AND THEY DIED BECAUSE THINGS WENT WRONG, THAT’S NOT MURDER, IT’S MANSLAUGHTER, OR GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. MAYBE STILL A CRIME, BUT NOT MURDER.

YOU GOTTA PROVE HE WENT IN THERE INTENDING TO KILL THEM IF YOU WANNA CONVICT HIM OF MURDER.

ALSO, AREN’T YOU A PROSECUTOR? OR HASN’T THAT BEEN INVENTED YET?

[li]

Eli speaks out and stares directly at Maria. For the first time nobody speaks over him. “I care about those wankers. I see their faces every night as I go to sleep. I do not regret what I did, but I will not lie to the people of this court and dehumanize the people that are dead because of me. We are all less because of the lives lost, but I have ensured a safer life for those that remain.”

The Persecutor growls “Silence!
You will speak when spoken to!”

“I say again, he is a teacher of theft to children, a director of lieutenants in crime! He is a gang leader who has killed his competition and is trying to get you to think he did a good thing in doing so!”

[quote=Rysiek][quote=Amelia Syrus]Even the criminals among the crowd look on, confused at the sudden cry. It’s enough to show her that her ploy didn’t work. So she stays in her new spot, looking outward and trying to gauge out the audience.

&quotTestimony from families!&quot She shouts behind a blonde. &quotWhere is their outcry? Their blood. Let them have vengeance!&quot She moves again, seeing the inquiry and rage spark a bit. But she’s not certain how well it’ll hold this time as she begins to come up with a new plan.[/quote]
The blonde tries to stop Amelia &quotPardon madame. J’ai une question. Was passiert here? I am supposed to écrire for the Zeitung, mais I don’t understand.&quot[li][/quote]

Mr. Poole attempts to help the confused blonde, making use of his far-from-fluent German:
&quotEr, Herr Lowe ist ein Kriminelle. Er hat uber Hundert Menschen gemorden. Herr Lowe ist ein Kriminellemeister aus der Spite Stadtteil.&quot
edited by Bertrand Leonidas Poole on 6/23/2016