The Flowerdene Rookery on Trial

The persecutor dodges the first head of the argument and addresses the second. “Elias Lowe has admitted to being ring-leader of the attacks. The only other member of the attack who was captured was one Beast of Unidentifiable Origin who will only answer to the name Ezekiel. He is currently restrained in the adjoining cell block for the safety of the court.”

Elias speaks. “Most of my people were killed during the fighting, several of them receiving The True Death. The ones that did escape, I will not name, for their anonymity means more to me than my freedom. I will not strike a plea bargain.” He says something in Russian.

&quotI see. Yes, that bothers me… because I was under the impression that in legal terms, ‘murder’ has a specific meaning, which is not interchangeable with other terms. Now, I haven’t studied law, but isn’t there a specific legal term for someone who incites others to violence? And shouldn’t we try him based on that crime, and not as a murderer?&quot

(OOC: I actually have no idea if that’s accurate for Victorian London. If it’s not you can just say Lamia’s bullsh*tting.)

The crowd that was heckling Lamia falters a little, but the Persecutor stays firm. “Debating the semantics of what constitutes a murder does not bring the families of the deceased any closer to justice.”

The Judge stands and declares resoundingly "Let all those who can stand as character witnesses for this man do so. The Powers That Be have requested specifically that The Agent Known as Passionario give his report on the occurrence. The Persecutor also calls Bertrand Poole to the stand, a frequent patron of The Inflammatory Salon, where the accused has been known to attend regularly.

Any who would speak in favor of him may do so, but be very aware that there is a two hundred echo fine for being found in Contempt of Court.

(( Passionario may or may not have been working the case or whatever, I can’t make decisions for his character, but I feel like he’s the type of person that would want to see Lowe burn. Also, he works for The Masters and they would probably want something like this nipped in the bud. ))

&quotIt’s not mere semantics if it has to do with attributing the right crime to the right person. It’s a very basic expectation any citizen should have of the court system.&quot (Lamia falls silent. She’s having a hard time making herself heard over the crowd, anyway. She’s not one to raise her voice, even when circumstances call for it.)

The Persecutor gives Lamia a smug smile as the crowd cries out. She catches his eye and mouths the words “Thank you”. He manages a smile, just barely.

Maria stands up, because she understood they called witnesses for Elis defence &quotYour honour. My name is Maria Władysławowina ‘Numbers’ Konstantynoplska. I am a student of mathematics.
I attest that Mr. Löwe could have done those things. Wasn’t here back then. He may be a thief, but as I said, he is a good man. I would tell you to give him a chance. Everybody deserves an attorney and EVERYONE deserves a secomd chance. Look what Eli did. He gave urchins a home. Who cares about a hundred wankers, if hundreds of children could be saved. I ask you to let Eli free. And if you convict him of murder… there are people who are more powerful than me or you who would be very pissed. And I assure you, you wouldn’t even want me to be angry. I can be very creative…&quot[li]

“He’s been heard openly admitting that he trains children in thievery!” Eglantine calls loudly. “Explicitly declaring the existence of his lieutenants and followers in crime! This wasn’t even an attempt at justice, this was a gang man killing off his competition, only to stand before the world and claim he did it to make things better. Sure he did. Better for him!”

As Passionario stands up, dressed in the uniform of the Ministry of Public Decency, and makes his ponderous way towards the Judge, the crowd’s outrage rises to a fever pitch. Few people are hated throughout London as much as this agent of the Masters. Ignoring the whistles and screams, the Fist of the Bazaar places a document bearing the tell-tale seal of Mr. Fires before the Judge:

&quotUnder Annex Twenty-Seven, we make the motion to transfer this case to the Spire-Chamber&quot.

The Spire-Chamber! A closed court reserved for those who get caught robbing the Bazaar or commiting other grave crimes against the Masters. Of those who are dragged inside, few are ever seen again, and those are hardly recognizeable as their former selves. The [REDACTED] who perished in the fighting must have been high ranking indeed.
edited by Passionario on 6/23/2016

At the mention of Mr. Fires, a particular enemy of the Curious Captain, Absimiliard bolts to their feet.

&quotYour honor, this a Fabularity, a matter of Mr. Pages, not Mr. Fires. Where two Masters disagree there can be no invocation of the Annex in question. Changing venue is inappropriate, and would be interfering in Mr. Fires attempt to seize power from Mr. Pages by stealing from It what is rightfully It’s, and It’s alone – a tale of words and wonder.&quot

&quotYou must rule against the Fist, even if the Masters are in the right in this case, in law Passionario Is Not.&quot

edited by absimiliard on 6/23/2016

A figure whispers to themselves from the sidelines, half of them blending in with the shadows cast unto that direction, but the gleaming Parabola-Linen help distinguish them from their background.

&quotA visit to the Spire-Chamber? I must participate in that. What a tale, what a tale.&quot

Soon, they rise to lead the situation in a more favorable (for them) direction &quotYou must be sorely mistaken, Captain, as Fabularities do not fall under usual Jurisdiction. Therefore, either this meeting should not be held, and it absolutely should be, or Pages does not have any right to Elias’s case, and therefore it can be ascended to the Spire-Chamber. Remain assured, though, as I will personally deliver mention of this situation, post-mortem, of course, to Pages’ men.&quot
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 6/23/2016

“And where was that horrid walking infestation at the time?”

“OBJECTION!”

The word is shouted loudly and abruptly. All turn to see the strage looking man who uttered it.

“Have we all forgotten the notion that this mman handed HIMSELF in? Regardless of whether or not he is guilty he landed himself in this trail while others do not. It means that for some reason he WANTS to be here. And heres come a Agent of the Masters to lead him to what may very well be his ultimate goal!”

“People of the Neath whatever his goal, I put forwards the notion that attention is what this man desires, and I say he should not attain it! I put forwards that since he has admittid he hand a hand in this, we exdridite him to the Tomb Colonies, where he will be forgotten!”

[quote=Kylestien]&quotOBJECTION!&quot

The word is shouted loudly and abruptly. All turn to see the strage looking man who uttered it.

&quotHave we all forgotten the notion that this man handed HIMSELF in? Regardless of whether or not he is guilty he landed himself in this trail while others do not. It means that for some reason he WANTS to be here. And here come a Agent of the Masters to lead him to what may very well be his ultimate goal!&quot

&quotPeople of the Neath whatever his goal, I put forwards the notion that attention is what this man desires, and I say he should not attain it! I put forwards that since he has admitted he hand a hand in this, we exdridite him to the Tomb Colonies, where he will be forgotten!&quot[/quote]
The same individual from the sidelines laughs to themselves &quotObjection! Who even says that like that?&quot, but soon return to the case, and comment on the suggestion: &quotOf course he did, wishing to cultivate Scandal and move to Venderbight, as you suggest to us. The trials at the Spire-Chamber are too rare to ever account for, unlike a vacation in the Tomb-Colonies. May Law pave the way, you Honor.&quot Their last sentence is directed to the Prosecutor.
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 6/23/2016

The gavel slams down like a hammer on a nail. “Order in the court!”

“Mr Passionario, although this is a case pushed across our lives and sponsored by the masters, it is held in sight of the people of London. This change of venue shall not be allowed, as decreed by Mr Stones and Mr Pages.”

&quotVery well. In the interests of health and safety, please be advised that certain parts of the testimony regarding this case can only be stated in the language of Correspondence. The Ministry will not be held responsible for any harm that may befall anyone present as a result.&quot

[li]
&quotObjection!&quot ‘Numbers’ shouted &quotthis is a murder, tak? The families of the victims deserve to know all and everything. State it in regular english.&quot

Flesh-Stick: A LARGE FRENCHFRY AND A CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE, PLEASE!

ANYWAY, ELI JUST TOOK OUT A BUNCH OF CRIMINALS IN A FAIR FIGHT. THAT’S NOT MURDER, THAT’S BEATING THEM AT THEIR OWN GAME!

MAYBE IF THE POLICE AND JUSTICE SYSTEM HAD DONE ITS JOB, HE WOULDN’T NEED TO DO IT FOR YOU GUYS!

[li]

Amelia stays in the shadows of the crowd, watching the fervor rise and decline consistently. So many wanted one head and there was a lot of underhanded dealings between the lines. Though the most curious part of this is how complacent Elias had been. Is there something to be gained from all of this? Did he just want to **** off the Masters for fun? She’s confused but she knows a good way to make this interesting.

&quotLET HIM SPEAK OF HIS SINS!&quot She shouts behind a woman, rather passionately shouting for death. &quotMAKE THE MURDERER TELL THE COURT HIS SINS!&quot She shouts behind a man. She does this a few times, enticing the crowd to a chant of &quotMAKE HIM SPEAK!&quot before slipping behind them all. It seemed to have worked but for how long even she can’t tell.

[quote=Kukapetal] Flesh-Stick: A LARGE FRENCHFRY AND A CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE, PLEASE!

ANYWAY, ELI JUST TOOK OUT A BUNCH OF CRIMINALS IN A FAIR FIGHT. THAT’S NOT MURDER, THAT’S BEATING THEM AT THEIR OWN GAME!

MAYBE IF THE POLICE AND JUSTICE SYSTEM HAD DONE ITS JOB, HE WOULDN’T NEED TO DO IT FOR YOU GUYS!
[/quote]

&quotIs the Rookery really a den of the worst of the worst? The last I remember its citizens are mostly poor unfortunates. Miserable, disillusioned and starved of the light. Many of these people may deserve a few nights in New Newgate and many would likely benefit from a quick hanging to teach them a lesson. Some may even deserve true death, but this is London and we do things properly. We do not kill men and women without a fair trial, or at least whatever this is.&quot Hark lounges back in their chair, &quotIs food on offer? I’ll have a tea.&quot

Flesh-Stick: NO TEA!

ALSO, SHUT UP!