The Fallen London wiki has moved!

[color=#ff00cc]Recently we shared a message from the Fallen London wiki editors, to announce that they would be moving the wiki to a new site. This has now happened – here is the latest update about it from the editors.[/color]

Hi everyone! After the previous post, you might know that the Fallen London Wiki is moving away from Fandom.

Today is LAUNCH DAY! The new wiki is live at https://fallenlondon.wiki with the latest content.

Thank you all so much for the support and feedback so far! In response to the feedback, we’ve already made some improvements, including:

• An improved comment system!
  • Improvements to accessibility (link contrast, font, text width)

As we move forward, we hope that everyone will start to use the new wiki instead of the old Fandom wiki. If you want to help us out, there’s one major thing you can do:

• Spread the word! Google will continue featuring the Fandom wiki for a while. The best way to combat this is by making sure everyone is using the new wiki. If you see someone using, linking to, or editing the Fandom wiki, let them know about the new wiki.

We’re so excited about this, and hope you all enjoy the new wiki!

[color=#ff00cc]Once again, we’d like to thank the wiki editors and contributors for all the work they do on the wiki.[/color]
edited by SaraFBG on 3/22/2021

A minor thing: the help page in game still directs players to the old wiki (and also the old old wiki, which seems to have been dead since 2016)

I have to say, I am deeply thankful for this move. It’s been a huge improvement already in the short time, and finally I can humanely use the wiki from my mobile device.
Huge thanks for both the Wiki team and FBG for making this a reality!

I do have one small, tangentially related question: what is the approach (unofficial or official) of you fine gentlebeings to the Fifth City Wikia?

While it obviously is full of lore spoilers, I found it has some rather comprehensive summaries of Neathy lore, which may come useful for the more enfrenchised players who need some hints putting all the various lore tidbits together and appreciate the more esoteric connections of the uniquely rich and well-composed lore of FBG games…

There are no current plans to move the Fifth City Wiki, nor the SSea/SSkies wikis, but it’s a future possibility if there’s substantial interest. Any theoretical move would hopefully be straightforward now that we have a successful proof-of-concept, plus those wikis are all substantially smaller than FL’s.

The Fifth City Wiki has a lot of speculation mixed in with real game lore. If it ever became official, I hope someone from FBG would scrub it for non-cannon (mis)information first.

It would have to be fans; I doubt FBG staffers have either the time or inclination to edit a giant lore wiki.

True. I was just hoping for someone in a position to know whether something was canon or not. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, for me, the speculation and uncertainty of canonicity of said lore is part of the allure. It is a bit like true folklore and mythology, where much is conjecture and many versions exist, some more in line with the original conception of these myths, others our own projections or even outright fabrications. And still all of these can be quite amusing and worth of study and discussion…

Yeah, the actual canon is the text. Summaries of it are by nature imperfect; in-world characters can lie or be wrong about things.

Pulling out the interpretation, judging which characters are telling the truth, what descriptions are metaphorical and which are literal, all that stuff to go from “text of the game” to “lore wiki” is not obvious, and often it’s deliberately ambiguous.

So, the old wiki is still around and edits are still being made to it. This might become quite confusing if it goes on?

Why hasn’t the old wiki been taken offline if the move was successful?

Sorry, if I missed something obvious. I’ve drifted away a bit and am keeping only the loosest of tethers to all things FL atm…

Because we don’t control it. The old wiki is hosted by Fandom who aren’t just going to take it down because all of the editors moved to a non Fandom wiki. As long as its staying up people will view it and generate revenue for Fandom

Because we don’t control it. The old wiki is hosted by Fandom who aren’t just going to take it down because all of the editors moved to a non Fandom wiki. As long as its staying up people will view it and generate revenue for Fandom[/quote]
I see.
There’s no way to ask them to take down a wiki once it exists? I guess I now understand why people are critical of Fandom, if that’s their business model…

It also just occurred to me that a lot of the Guides floating around on this forum link to the old wiki, e. g. the Neathmas Guide or my own Destiny Guide. I’ll see what I can do about the latter… I confess I haven’t found my way around the new wiki yet, but I’ll look into it.
edited by phryne on 3/28/2021

Nope.

The copyright that Fandom uses means that the wiki content belongs to no one person, and Fandom have the right to keep it up. On some very popular wikis, which also forked, I’ve seen them put their own staff temporarily in charge, and actively make it into outright competition. They’ll try to rebuild the community, recruit new editors, and revamp the old site to entice people away from the new one.

On the bright side, I’ve had to use the wiki since then, and the new one is appearing pretty high on results. It surprised me as it’s effectively a brand new site, but - fingers crossed - it looks set to be a success if all goes well, as it’s easy to find.

[quote=phryne]
It also just occurred to me that a lot of the Guides floating around on this forum link to the old wiki, e. g. the Neathmas Guide or my own Destiny Guide. I’ll see what I can do about the latter… I confess I haven’t found my way around the new wiki yet, but I’ll look into it.[/quote]

The content on the new wiki was seeded with an export from the old wiki. Navigation should work the same, and you should be able to update any old links simply by replacing &quot.fandom.com/&quot with &quot.wiki/&quot. There have been no major structural changes since the migration.

The biggest difference for finding stuff is that the search bar uses a different engine, but that was upgraded sometime last week.