The Eldritch Beings of the Neath *SPOILERS*

I was always wondering where the angels are, well aside from the statue that almost hit a vicar.[li]

Are they the judgments? They seem like the seraphs and are associated with fire

At the current end of the Ambition: Nemesis story, inside the Master’s quarters at the Bazaar, there’s an odd scene. Here’s a summary and speculation:

Master Pages (judging by the speaking style) gives instructions to smaller creatures… likely proto-Masters or ab-Masters, given that &quotchiroptera&quot means bats. There’s even a little love involved in their feeding:

&quotPatience, mischeroptera! First, a moment’s affection. There. Now: degustify.&quot

I think these are the same shadowy, starry creatures produced by breeding the wings-of-thunder bat. You don’t get a good glimpse of them, and I may by influenced by their description as &quotshadows&quot because you only see them through a rice paper wall. (Side note, did Karakorum have rice paper walls?)

But I don’t know what the wings-of-thunder bat is exactly. It’s been a long time since I played that story.

Someone speculated that there were 7 Masters originally, and one more appears each city? Will one of these little bat-shadows become the… 12th? 13th?

On an unrelated topic, I’m refreshing my memory of the Nemesis quest, and I discovered there is a deviless death scene I haven’t seen mentioned. My reminiscenses for the Forgotten Quarter section are not working, so all I have to go on is a summary on the wiki. Does anyone have the text in full, and if so, does it match the description of other devil death scenes? The summary says some odd things about screams.
edited by TheThirdPolice on 7/1/2015

I believe you’re looking for this:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Mordecai~Liebstein?fromEchoId=926312

Quite different from the &quotpaper tearing open and a bee flies out&quot death scene from early on in Ladybones Road, though.

Thank you, that’s it. The difference is quite striking, particularly as you’d think the event in Nemesis would go into more detail about bees and red flowers than devil-deaths elsewhere.

EDIT: Speaking of red flowers, there’s a passage in which a Fingerking appears as a white rose, then a red rose for an instant. Did the Fourth City call the Fingerkings Rosers?
edited by TheThirdPolice on 7/2/2015

It strikes me that the nature of devil-screams might be the following: sometimes, a devil crumples and shrivels when killed, and a bee comes out of its mouth. Sometimes, a devil blackens and withers when killed, and screams linger. These are both things that happen to paper, but perhaps the persistence of sound is related to the persistence of bee, trapped inside a paper shell, trying to get out, screaming.

[quote=TheThirdPolice]
EDIT: Speaking of red flowers, there’s a passage in which a Fingerking appears as a white rose, then a red rose for an instant. Did the Fourth City call the Fingerkings Rosers?
edited by TheThirdPolice on 7/2/2015[/quote]

That’s not how I read what I learned in the Cave of the Nadir (Losing and An Unlikely Garden). There might be content elsewhere that proves me wrong, but from what I read here I think the Rosers were people rather than Fingerkings.

[spoiler]They warred against the Fourth City and were enemies of the Khans. They certainly knew the route to Nadir, and presumably to Parabola as well.

I thought I remembered something suggesting an alliance with or worship of the Fingerkings, but I can’t find it. All I have is the above, and that they ultimately lost, and those who didn’t flee the city were fed to the Bazaar.[/spoiler]
edited by marcmagus on 7/2/2015

I’ve managed to come up with a little theory concerning the entities known as &quotStone Pigs&quot myself.

What do we know about them? They’re sleeping somewhere below the Neath and the Masters are desperately keeping them asleep because otherwise something unknown, but very bad is supposed to happen.

In one of the &quotGlimpse of the Future&quot scenarios the Revolutionaries succeed in bringing forth the Liberation of the Night, killing the Bazaar. The description covers quite some length of time, yet there is no mention of the Stone Pigs waking up and doing anything bad.

This made me think - What if the Liberation of the Night is the Liberation of the Stone Pigs and the bad thing that’s supposed to follow is all light being extinguished?
And if that is the case, are the Stone Pigs possibly the opposing force to the Judgements?
The Judgements represent Light and Order and are located high above the earth.
The Stone Pigs represent (if my theory about the LotN is correct) Darkness and Chaos and are located somewhere deep in the earth.

And as the Bazaar and the Masters are subjects of the Judgements they would naturally be opposed to their opponents waking up.

I’m not particularly knowledgeable about FL but I have played Sunless Sea and there is so interesting information in the Zee.

[spoiler]Chapel of Lights

Apparently Mr. Eaten’s dreams tell you to go North. It also includes having unaccountably peckish which may be cannibalism. Mr. Eaten also has something to do with wells. Now to the north there is an Island called the Chapel of lights. If you eat of the Chapels Bounty it has a chance to give you unaccountably peckish and says to leave with nothing after you eat your fill. There’s also an event with a crew companion where if you have the menace I’ve been talking about it seems you sacrifice a crew member which they may eat. A well also exists on the island. It’s called the nightmare well and if you give one of your nightmares you get a wound and a weeping scar.

Gant

Now this scar occupies the color Gant for a quest to find all the colors of the Neathbow (Irrigo, Gant, etc). Gant is what remains when all other colors are eaten (seems like no coincidence). You can also turn in The Figurehead of the Eater of Names you get from a Chelonate priest barge which also occupies Gant. I don’t know much about it but it seems important as it occupies Gant and has Eater in the name and it apparently is made of the bones of those lost to the Zea. Next is the Star-Shell which also occupies Gant. It’s gained from froustfound and it’s description is &quotDid a Judgement hatch from this grim relic? Or was it something else entirely. Don’t look too closely at the eye-hurting absence of colour.&quot It may mean something but I’m not too knowledgeable about this.[/spoiler]
The Zee seems to have lots of information too.
edited by Seno on 7/7/2015