The Eldritch Beings of the Neath *SPOILERS*

Basically a collection of all of the most powerful supernatural entities and speculations about them…
Ruinous spoilers for the Rubbery Men, the Masters, Devils, and The Glass of Mahogany Hall, What the Thunder Said

Tier 1

The Bazaar, the Mountain and others of their ilk
-The Bazaar eats love
-Will inhabit 7 cities
-The Mountain induces immortality
-Possibly created the Correspondence
Questions/Speculation
-Will possibly leave London when the spires of the Bazaar are filled?
-The Bazaar eats love to sooth her own pain?

The Judgements
-They may be the stars and &quotThe Bazaar lies between the stars&quot
-They might redeem the Lorn-Flukes
-It might be the center of power for the employers of the Master’s employers

Tier 2

The Lorn-Flukes/Rubbery Men
-connected with the Correspondence (possibly deeper than the Masters)
-capable of sculpting flesh through said vital essences
-capable of making humans into beings like them
Questions/Speculation
-What is deep amber?
-What is warm amber?
-What is trembling amber?
-What is pulsating amber?
-What does the Lorn part mean? After all Fluke means FATE LOCKED CONTENT
-Why do they need to be redeemed?
-How are they connected to the Name

The Finger Kings
-connected to the Glass
-powers over illusions
-inhabit of Parabola
-associated with mirrors (of black glass)
-in need of humans to inhabit for their ultimate goals
-connected with Spiders (Investigations in the University) and Snakes
-capable of unleashing &quot…crimson earthquakes…&quot
-able to bodysurf and feed on dreams and memories (RED HONEY)
Questions/Speculation
-Connected to the Third City, more specifically
&quotthe Mottled Man, the Serpent-Handed, and the Red Bird – who are hinted to be have been Third City bishop-kings… have set up their own Xibalba, river of scorpions … similar…,to the Fingerkings… I don’t know whether they’re one in the same, or whether the Third City’s priests simply tapped into the power of Parabola to prolong their lives… another name they seem to go by – the God Eaters – though I’ve only seen this come up once or twice.&quot-theodor_gylden
-Why are they called the Finger Kings
-Does it have anything to do with one of them being Serpent-Handed?
-Why do serpents get so much attention?
-That creature in the Labyrinth of Tigers says he is one of the true lords of London?

Tier 3

The Masters
-connected with the Correspondence
-are probably gigantic bats/pterodactyls
-capable of making humans into being like them
-control the flow of trade
Questions/Speculation
-Initially they would not have servants from London so how did they establish power in the chaos of the Fall?
-What happened when London fell?

Mr.EATEN
-was a Master
-Had a truly awful fate befall him

-I will not speculate so I can avoid misfortune but I will add the speculation of others

Tier 4

The Devils
-very high internal body temperature (scalding tears)
-possible control over fire/heat (they tear flaming rents in people)
-have/used to have royalty
-Interested in the Correspondence
Questions/Speculation
-possibly exist outside of time (the fedora, the escalators in Moloch Street Station)
-Who is at the very bottom and why are they so interested in the Correspondence?

The Dead God of Thunder
-controls the weather
-can dream in death
Questions/Speculation
-Can he reincarnate?
-How did he die?

Maybes

The various forms of the Consorts possibly (though they may have it derived from The Bazaar’s power) i.e The King with a Hundred Hearts, The Cantigaster

Wild Mass Guessing (Any wild speculation)
What if the Thunder God is alive in Parabola and never really was in the neath at all?-Blackleaf

Any others I should add?
Should I shut this down? I’m not sure how compliant with the forum rules this is though I have read them.
I have a separate list that also includes some of the fate locked details that I know. PM me if you would like to see them.
edited by Jango on 12/24/2013

The king with a 100 hearts almost counts as a god. The bazaar itself too. And dont forget the litterar god of the neath. The thunder god.

I’m not sure, but I think the King with a Hundred Hearts’ power comes from a combination of the Bazaar’s power and that of the Mountain of Light - he himself has no real control of it, and indeed is as much a prisoner as, say, the Cantigaster.

True true. But the thunder god has to count.

[li]

I’m not entirely sure about that. He’s, uhm, DEAD. Long dead. He does seem to maintain some degree of control over reality or at the very least over the mind of people, but I couldn’t really divine the exact extension of his powers. Sure he has a booming voice, though.

The fact that he can interact with reality after death makes me think he’s less a god and more a force of nature.

I don’t think the devils are in the powerful category.

They hurt like hell (pun intended) by I did kill one during the earlier missions (with a lot of day offs though). Unless of course, the text implies, they respawn or something.

[li][/li]
edited by Pyrodinium on 12/24/2013[li][/li]
edited by Pyrodinium on 12/24/2013

Well considering Parabola and “What did the thunder say”.

[spoiler]
What if the thunder god is alive in Parabola and never really was in the neath at all? Random ass theory i have no research for at all

I’ll put them in tiers based on how powerful they are.@ pyrodinium I believe they do respawn but I have no source so I’ll put that in speculation, @ Blackleaf, I’m not sure that would count as speculation as you have said yourself It has not basis however I will add a WMG(Wild Mass Guessing for non-tropers) for that one.

Do the Judgements count? I don’t think they are actually in the neath though, so I’m not sure.

What are the Judgements goodly madame?

[spoiler] I don’t know a whole lot about the Judgements myself, but they are mentioned in the chill of the void destiny I think, and also mentioned in the temple of uttermost wind (fate locked) expedition. I echoed the results of that expedition on my profile somewhere.[li]

From what I can guess, they seem to be stars since the earth’s sun seems to be one. Or the Judgement mentioned in chill of the void is different… [/spoiler]
edited by Elene on 12/24/2013[/li][li]
edited by Elene on 12/24/2013[/li][li]
edited by Elene on 12/24/2013

I appreciate the information but could you please spoiler tage the information please madame.

That isn’t terribly spoiler-ish. Is it?

As for speculation about Mr Eaten (somebody please correct me if any of this is glaringly incorrect);

[spoiler]He was once a Master by the name of Mr Candles, or at least Candles and whatever honorific was used at a time. He was betrayed by his kin, chiefly Mr Veils, in the Third City. The exact details of his demise aren’t known, but it involved being bound, drowning in a well, and priests known as the God-Eaters devouring him, which removed him of his dominion - candles, dreams, and ‘the light on the edge of sleep’. However, it seems even the Masters don’t know how to properly kill their own kind, because something remained.

Now he’s largely associated with madness, hunger, and the number seven. All wells seem to carry his touch, and his voice can be heard from them, especially by those suffering from unnatural hunger. Others are afflicted by dreams of water and drowning, bidding them to journey North. There seems to be a connection between him and the Drownies - all water has belonged to a well at some point or another, and it carries echoes of the betrayal. While he doesn’t seem to have any power besides driving men to their demise, the other Masters fear him and his influence, and actively discourage anyone from seeking his Name.

Mr Eaten himself is - unsurprisingly - a twisted shadow of his former self, and has openly said that he cannot be restored to his old station. He craves revenge and promises the Masters that he will not be forgotten - ‘a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely’ - and expresses particular vitriol for Mr Veils, Mr Wines, Mr Spices, and the Sun.[/spoiler][li]
edited by Laluzi on 12/24/2013

re: The Fingerkings –

[spoiler]I’ve been wondering about their connection to the Third City, lately. The Fidgeting Writer reveals quite a bit about three figures – the Mottled Man, the Serpent-Handed, and the Red Bird – who are hinted to be have been Third City bishop-kings. (And who elsewhere are hinted to have set up their own Xibalba, river of scorpions and all, across the zee.) They’ve a similar modus operandi, let’s say, to the Fingerkings. They can pass from body to body, possessing people by entering their dreams and consuming their minds. They’re associated with mirrors and lenses, particularly of black glass. I don’t know whether they’re one in the same, or whether the Third City’s priests simply tapped into the power of Parabola to prolong their lives. And then there’s another name they seem to go by – the God Eaters – though I’ve only seen this come up once or twice.

Why the Fingerkings, anyway? Is it just the name magicians give them? Does it have anything to do with one of them being Serpent-Handed? And if there’s a jaguar and some sort of bird in the group, too, why do serpents get so much attention? Plus if you help an ostensible Fingerking escape from the Labyrinth of Tigers, he says he’s one of many and they’re the ‘true lords of London’ …

… No, I don’t know where I’m going with this theory. But hopefully it all fuels further speculation.

ETA: Oh, and the Judgments come in a bit of Parabola-lore, too … A Searing Enigma in the Forgotten Quarter, I believe. The Judgments determine what is. Parabola’s citizens are Is-Not. And there are places in the Neath where the Judgments cannot see.[/spoiler][li]
edited by theodor_gylden on 12/24/2013

@Laluzi, Just in case any Person of Some Little Significance refers to the thread.
@theodor_gylden, Thank you, These theories are very interesting

I’m fairly certain that the Long-Dead God is listed twice.

I’m more than a little sure He was Eaten.

[quote=OPG]I’m fairly certain that the Long-Dead God is listed twice.

I’m more than a little sure He was Eaten.

I’m pretty sure that this is expressly not the case - what evidence do you have to support this?

[li]
sorry about that, fixed it.

[quote=Elene]
sorry about that, fixed it.[/quote]

Thank you madame.
[li]
[/li]