The early days

Are there any players that was playing Echo Bazaar from the very beginning, and have screenshots of it?

I am just… well, very curious about how Echo Bazaar looked like in its early days. I joined around the time Velocipede Squad was released, and had no chance of seeing how does Knife-and-Candles looked. And somebody told me that the map used to be different, and traveling is not free…

If any Neathy veterans would entertain this little pointless request, please do! :)

Thanks in advance.

An interesting question! Let’s see… when I came to Fallen London, things looked much the same as they do now, though there were only six portraits total for our characters. I was sorry to lose my old one when we got the current lot, as it suited me rather well. Haven’t got pictures to share, though, alas - wish I did!

found a picture of the old map. I’m assuming as you progressed more of the areas were uncovered.

a couple mini screenshots:

That’s a pretty map! The style seems decidedly more cartoon-ish than what we have, though. But the pale, green mist / fog adds a feel of… exploration to Fallen London.

I joined in a month or so before knife and candle was shut down. Right around when Extra Credits (For those of you not in the know. Extra Credits is a phenomenal internet show about the games industry created by three of the industries finest minds. Also its got pictures so I can pay attention. http://extra-credits.net/) did its first games you might not have played segment. Echo Bazaar was one of those games and I made an account shortly there after.

P.S. To be honest I think the old map is way cooler.

I’ve been playing since mid 2010, so I don’t have any really old screenshots. I have a few shots with the old art for Souls, various rats, Warm Amber, Diamonds, Cheerful Goldfish, etc. This is the oldest screenshot I seem to have of my character screen from July 30, 2010, which shows the old portrait style (and my humble early days).

I can remember knife and candle being the worst thing ever because you pretty much lost all of your money within seconds (every time someone killed you in K&C you lost a couple pennies. it added up fast though!). You could get a Sweet Mansion out of it but I didn’t get my rank high enough :(

I love this thread! I hope there are more pics to come.

Also, I think the old portrait is wonderful. I love the full silhouette. The old map is pretty sweet too.

Not that I’m complaining about the current - just that I DO like the old.

[quote=hwango]I’ve been playing since mid 2010, so I don’t have any really old screenshots. I have a few shots with the old art for Souls, various rats, Warm Amber, Diamonds, Cheerful Goldfish, etc. This is the oldest screenshot I seem to have of my character screen from July 30, 2010, which shows the old portrait style (and my humble early days).

[/quote]

I like this style of profile portrait better, but prefer the current map.

That old portrait page is gorgeous.

Indeed. I wonder why they changed it to faces-only?

I must admit I find the old map quite attractive as well. The current one looks a bit…I don’t know, minimalist? I’m sure it’s much easier to update, though.
edited by Little The on 6/7/2012

[quote=Little The]Indeed. I wonder why they changed it to faces-only?
edited by Little The on 6/7/2012[/quote]

Maybe to let people free to imagine their character with his own gear on? For example - I see both a Scrutinizer and a Tasselled Cane (Sword-Cane?) in the portrait (and a Battered Gray Overcoat maybe? Gee, that portrait could be my Blue of a little time ago, before he sacrificed the Overcoat to rescue the Clothes-Colony), but the character doesn’t necessarily have any of them.

The old map… Is it a perspective illusion, or the Ladybones Road was in a different position then, west of the Shuttered Palace?

Found two more.

I personally prefer the new portraits, the old one seems too detailed to me :)

Not sure if it was ever used in game, but here’s [color=0000FF]another version of the map[/color]. I snagged it on Jan 11, 2011. (Not posted inline because I can’t scale it down with this board’s limited bbcode, and I didn’t want to blow out the width.)

Um, that’s the one we are having now…

I believe that particular map, with its annotations, can be found on Mister Arendt’s deviantart page.

Um, that’s the one we are having now…[/quote]
There are some differences. The Labyrinth and Ladybones Roads are in different places and many other places are written on the map that we cannot travel to.