"The Duchess Has a List"

I had the “the duchess has a list” opportunity card come up numerous times when I was extremely low leveled, and at that point I just assumed the items she calls for were out of my level range as so many were at the time. The card has come up again now (that I am at or near the cap in all stats) and the items she requests are just as unheard-of as before! I have no idea where even to begin to look for such esoterica. Anyone have any insights on the matter?

Interesting that you should mention this mysterious list! Recently, as in just today, I have seen this list several times and the items were so outlandish I assumed it far beyond my grasp.

~MF
A Lady with piqued curiousity

Last year, the four items could be found in gifts sent by other players via Mr Sacks and his urchin entourage.

[color=000000]This is a way to obtain the Stone-Tentacle Key for players who did not find it on Hunter’s Keep, whether through lack of luck or lack of a ship.[/color]
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 4/4/2015

It seems the items are in the gifts this year too, and hopefully the parcels are less fragile: a friend and I went through a bit of fate trying to get the four items intact.

@Wieland - where else does the reward have use, aside from Hunter’s Keep? People who have got there presumably have ships…?

As of now, the exact use of this particularly odd piece of stone (is it really stone? it looks almost organic…) is unknown. And yes, you need a ship to travel to Hunter’s Keep. That’s what I meant: players who haven’t got a ship can only get hold of the key through the Duchess. Sorry if I was unclear!

Edit: A quick look at the wiki just told me that followers of the Heart’s Desire ambition already have a use for the Key. But as it can be obtained by everyone, no matter your ambition, I’m sure there’ll be more to it…
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

[quote=pinstripeowl]It seems the items are in the gifts this year too, and hopefully the parcels are less fragile: a friend and I went through a bit of fate trying to get the four items intact.

@Wieland - where else does the reward have use, aside from Hunter’s Keep? People who have got there presumably have ships…?[/quote]

IF the reward is the same as last year, then the reward is a [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]stone-tentacle key[/color]. This is used at Hunters Keep - the first time you [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]take your net to the well there you get it[/color], and then after that you[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)] can use it to get 1000 glim or one searing enigma[/color] instead. Getting it from the Duchess just[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)] helped you skip one cycle[/color].

I’m curious whether the reward is the same as last year. Are the required items the same?

[color=000000][quote=M_L_G]I’m curious whether the reward is the same as last year. Are the required items the same?[/quote]
Yes, it’s all the same.

I don’t really understand this as &quotusing&quot the key. The first time you get the key, next time you get something different.

Or from the Kashmiri Princess at Mahogany Hall. That’s where I got mine. How could I forget? shakesheadindisbelief[/color]
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

[quote=Wieland Burandt]
Yes, it’s all the same.[/quote]
Does this mean you cashed in the list again this year and got another thing (or it said you couldn’t have more than one)?

I never did manage to get the Dove Mask Shard last year, but I’ve already been to Hunter’s Keep. I guess that would mean it’s not worth trying to complete the set?
edited by hwango on 12/24/2011

Give the Duchess the full set
Acquiring this lot wasn’t easy, but the Duchess is generous to those who please her. This choice is locked for now. To unlock, you need 1 x Ring of Stone , 1 x Dove Mask Shard , 1 x Shrivelled Ball , 1 x Fragment of White Gold.

I wasn’t here for last year’s visit, so someone confirm if this year’s list is the same as the last?

The list is the same as the last.

The rewards are better now, from what I hear; as well as a stone tentacle-key, you get a prebysterate passphrase, puzzle-damask, an uncanny incunabula, an aeolian scream, and something else I think? However, none of those are unique to the Duchess, and can be obtained otherwise, though some are difficult.

The list is the same, has anyone see the Duchess (card) since Thursday? I received several copies on Thursday and then nothing on Friday or today.

[quote=M_L_G]
The rewards are better now, from what I hear; as well as a stone tentacle-key, you get a prebysterate passphrase, puzzle-damask, an uncanny incunabula, an aeolian scream, and something else I think? However, none of those are unique to the Duchess, and can be obtained otherwise, though some are difficult.[/quote]
Ooh, I don’t have a prebysterate passphrase or puzzle-damask…and possibly don’t have the something else either, of course.

Now the only problems are getting a gift, not breaking it…and remembering which shape I haven’t opened yet, so I don’t accidentally duplicate one of the three I have from last year. = P

I think, though I am not sure, that puzzle-damask is one of the things you can get from one of the relickers for a large, large sum of scraps. Out of my price range, at the moment. A prebysterate passphrase was a rare lucky reward from a ‘spy on feducci’ opportunity card which was available from Shadowy 85 to about 105? or 115? Something like that. I snagged one at the time.

Okay, I managed to obtain one last gift, was lucky opening it, and successfully guessed which thing to hope for. Cashing in the list, I received: [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]“Stone Tentacle-Key hasn’t changed, because it’s higher than 0 (as I suspected),” Connected to the Duchess some number of change points, 1x Correspondence Plaque, 1x Aeolian Scream, 1x Avid Glove, 1x Presbyterate Passphrase, 1x Puzzle-Damask, 1x Uncanny Incunabula, 1x Broken Giant 1844.[/color]

whether you do or not, don’t give them to the Duchess! Those items cost Fate, the key doesn’t. Keep them, and admire their shininess.

The Passphrase is the only of the rewards I haven’t come across - not for want of trying, but I don’t know if I even can at my level of Shadowy. Does anyone know the upper limit to have the Spy on Feducci card appear?

I just came upen this opportunity for the first time. However I have no knowledge on where to obtain these items. Also I already got the mysterious key.

I consider myself a fairly skilled individual, so I too am puzzled on the appearance of the opportunity (My main qualities are all in the 130+ range with equipment).
edited by NotThisBrain on 12/28/2011

I think it’s in the low 100s. I think I remember that when the level cap was 110, I had to lower my stats to get it… Not quite sure, though.

It’s a rare success anyway. But I expect that there’ll be some more ways to get them in the future?