The Difference Between The Ships

So I am on the cusp of gaining a Zee-worthy vessel and I would like to know if there is any difference between the ships aside from aesthetics. Thanks in advance.

They give slightly different options when out to Zee, and also they give different stats. The “best” ship for stats is the Pleasure Yacht, giving +2 Respectable.

One of the primary differences is BDR (Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable) points, with the Zubmarine giving +1 Bizarre and the Majestic Pleasure Yacht giving +2 Respectable. Other differences reside in the unique opportunity card options for the ships. The Swift Zee-Clipper has some handy opportunity cards, one Clpper-unique card having a weighty +9 cp of Approaching Journey’s End, two being options to avoid pirates with a guaranteed success rather than risking the odds in a Dangerous challenge, and one that guarantees success against The Stone Pigs Cough card when Lashing Waves reaches 10. The Zubmarine has a modest boon with its unique opportunity card, gives a guaranteed success on The Killing Wind card instead of the usual 50/50 luck chance, and gives two unique options to avoid The Iceberg opportunity card and receive a slightly better reward from A Tiny Coral Island card when Lashing Waves reaches 10. Having a Majestic Pleasure Yacht gives an average option for the Meeting a Lone Steamer card and has a guaranteed success on the Hardship and Want card when Lashing Waves is 10. It also gives a unique card with a bit of progress in Approaching Journey’s End and 1.62 echoes worth of loot, as well as a unique option on the A Steamer Full of Passengers card that offers 2.9 echoes worth of items and a small plus to Hedonism at the cost of +2 cp to Scandal, a slight drop in Austere, and forgoing the card’s regular option for a slight plus to Approaching Journey’s End. The only benefit to a Rusty Tramp Steamer is that it’s the cheapest option available, giving no bonuses to qualities or additional opportunity card options while at zee.

In my opinion, the Pleasure Yacht is your best bet. It’s a pain to get, but with unique options for a tasty stream of echoes and the aformentioned +2 Respectable, it’s easily the most sought after ship my many players. Benefits aside, the challenge to earn it can be seen as worthy of bragging rights and a trophy of sorts for those who like torturing themselves.

A briefer version of what Sir Joseph said:

• Tramp Steamer is cheap, only worth getting if you need to get to Zee fast
  • Swift Zee-Clipper is fast - no stat bonuses but it will get you out of a lot of pickles
  • Zubmarine isn’t really great, but it gives 1 BDR (Bizarre, specifically)
  • Majestic Pleasure Yacht gives 2 BDR and a number of profitable options at Zee. It’s also arguably easier to get than the Zubmarine.

I highly recommend the Yacht, but the other ships will serve you fine. Zailing isn’t particularly challenging or treacherous if your stats are high enough.

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]One of the primary differences is BDR (Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable) points, with the Zubmarine giving +1 Bizarre and the Majestic Pleasure Yacht giving +2 Respectable. Other differences reside in the unique opportunity card options for the ships. The Swift Zee-Clipper has some handy opportunity cards, one Clpper-unique card having a weighty +9 cp of Approaching Journey’s End, two being options to avoid pirates with a guaranteed success rather than risking the odds in a Dangerous challenge, and one that guarantees success against The Stone Pigs Cough card when Lashing Waves reaches 10. The Zubmarine has a modest boon with its unique opportunity card, gives a guaranteed success on The Killing Wind card instead of the usual 50/50 luck chance, and gives two unique options to avoid The Iceberg opportunity card and receive a slightly better reward from A Tiny Coral Island card when Lashing Waves reaches 10. Having a Majestic Pleasure Yacht gives an average option for the Meeting a Lone Steamer card and has a guaranteed success on the Hardship and Want card when Lashing Waves is 10. It also gives a unique card with a bit of progress in Approaching Journey’s End and 1.62 echoes worth of loot, as well as a unique option on the A Steamer Full of Passengers card that offers 2.9 echoes worth of items and a small plus to Hedonism at the cost of +2 cp to Scandal, a slight drop in Austere, and forgoing the card’s regular option for a slight plus to Approaching Journey’s End. The only benefit to a Rusty Tramp Steamer is that it’s the cheapest option available, giving no bonuses to qualities or additional opportunity card options while at zee.

In my opinion, the Pleasure Yacht is your best bet. It’s a pain to get, but with unique options for a tasty stream of echoes and the aformentioned +2 Respectable, it’s easily the most sought after ship my many players. Benefits aside, the challenge to earn it can be seen as worthy of bragging rights and a trophy of sorts for those who like torturing themselves.[/quote]

Thanks. I think I will get the Swift Zee-Clipper. It’s fast and I’m a relatively low-leveled POSI so I think I’ll do fine with it.

If you’re relatively low level, it’s also an option to start by getting the tramp steamer; it’s significantly cheaper than all the other options, swift clipper included. You can then get an expensive one once you’re high level and find it easier to get all the components. The ship choice isn’t permanent (but if you picked anything other than the cheap option, you’ll regret the wasted cost if you switch away).
edited by Amalgamate on 6/14/2018

Sir Joseph Marlen is a mensch, and I’m not just saying that because he sent me lots of coins and rats! But I went Amalgamate’s path.

Important note: There’s a LOT of good content once you get your ship. I’ve done a lot of grinds in this game; the zubamarine grind involves LOTS of Bejewelled Lenses, each of which requires a Magnificent Diamond. And the Yacht grind, which you can complete and fail over and over again, has driven stronger players mad. I took another player’s advice, grabbed the Rusty Tramp Steamer, which opened up the wonderful worlds of the Iron Republic and Port Carnelian, and Hunter’s Keep, and Mutton Island, and haven’t looked back. And it hasn’t hurt my Notability grind so far (currently 8.)

If you ever decide to get for the Paramount Presence, you will want the yecht - every point of BDR counts then. For now, enjoy the zee content!

The tramp steamer is also the best ship if you’re going NORTH. Whether you’re leaving or staying, you will lose your ship and won’t have it on your profile in the end, so unless you have a specific vision for your character that involves crashing an expensive vessel for funsies, get the steamer.