The Curious Captain

Fallen London is © 2015 and ™ Failbetter Games Limited: www.fallenlondon.com. This is an unofficial fan work. All rights in this work are ceded to Failbetter Games.

Across Fallen London several people have the same dream.

Perhaps you are one of them.

People bustle at Mrs. Plenty’s Circus. Crowds jostle. Outside the House of Mirrors a mixed crew of zailors and vicious-looking longshoremen keep anyone from entering. Within a table has been set for dinner, seated around it are a Pirate from the Isle of Cats, a tiger, a midnight black cat, a Striking Woman, and a Curious Captain.

The conversation is desultory, the Captain filled with nervous energy. A decision reached they rise. The tiger paces back and forth in front the mirrors, tail flicking aggressively. The Captain straps on a backpack, and settles a red pirate-hat so old it is crushed down to nearly a beret on their head.

The Curious Captain pauses before one of the mirrors. The tiger rumbles &quotOf all your decisions this has to be the most foolish.&quot The Captain grins back at the tiger wickedly. The tiger continues, &quotI suppose. You did bring . … .

The Captain nods, suddenly serious, and raises two fingers, then answers &quotTwo.&quot The tiger growls, &quotEven more dangerously stupid.

Savage hob-nailed boots scrape the wood floor of the House of Mirros as the Captain steps forward towards, then into, one of the mirrors. The tiger shakes a massive head, and pads silently into the mirror behind them.

The two can be seen to say a few words to each other, but sound doesn’t pass through the mirror to the party at Mrs. Plenty’s. They then vanish from sight.

Two figures pause near a cluster of tree roots growing from the base of a fallen pillar – one human, one feline.

The tiger speaks, &quotI really don’t think the backpack goes with the red dress.

The human responds, &quotWhat would you know? I bet you agree with A________ that I shouldn’t wear hob-nailed boots with it either.&quot The tiger chuffs in amusement.

It is so hot, the air shimmers. &quotI’ll bet you regret the dress being of velvet, &quot the tiger taunts. &quotNo more than you your fur,&quot the human replies, &quotbesides, it’s tough enough to hold up to the bracken and thorns this way.

A splintered course of stones splits like an old timber, one half of the fallen pillar leading into the jungle, the other to the fallen walls of a temple.

The Curious Captain curses. &quotB____y Hells! The Temple again. I thought we’d lost it.&quot The tiger looks up at the Captain. &quotYou know it always tries to lead you back to London. We have to get away from it if we’re to get further into the Marches.

Sighing the tiger turns from the cool shade of the ruined temple, back towards the shimmering heat of the jungle.

The Captain pulls a silk handkerchief out from non-existant cleavage and dabs at their forehead, wiping beaded sweat away.

&quotI hate these early dreams. We need a better route out of the Marches.

The tiger growls, &quotOr a cooler one, at least.&quot Ahead of them Cosmogone Sunlight strikes through the foliage, illuminating a patch of flowers like – you’ve forgotten what…

edited by absimiliard for typing, &quotIt had to be typing.&quot </Indiana Jones>
edited by absimiliard on 4/18/2016

[quote=absimiliard]…leading into the jugnle, the other to the…
edited by absimiliard on 4/18/2016[/quote]

Sorry, just had to point that out.

A silver mirror leans up against a thick tree-trunk. Dappled in cosmogone light it shows a damasked table; set with makeup and jewelry. A tiger leans forward and sniffs, then rumbles, &quotI don’t smell any snakes.

A hand, gauntleted in spider-chitin up beyond the elbow, pushes back fronds and bracken. Fingernails sharpened to claws poke through empty fingertips to catch in greenery briefly. A delicate figure in a red-dress stomps out into the clearing, hob-nailed boots leaving clear footprints in the mossy ground. &quotI think we lost them for the moment, there aren’t many in this part of the Marches any more. It’s as safe as we’re likely to get.

They tap at the surface of the mirror, then turn to the tiger. &quotI wish she’d kept it covered, but it’s useful enough for us right now. I think it’ll work. Keep watch.&quot The tiger prowls the edges of the clearing. The young person pulls a book out from their backpack, and writes quickly in it with a pencil, then tears the page from the book and folds it up. With a look of tremendous concentration they reach towards the mirror, and push the note through the mirror. It falls gently to the table-top beyond, half-opened. Breathing heavily, as if just having run a marathon, the Captain rises to unsteady feet. &quotThat was far harder than I thought.&quot They stagger, and catch themselves on a tree-trunk.

There’s a sound, a rustling, as something approaches. The tiger spins, the Captain drops into a crouch – both ready to fight, or flee.

A rat in a Postal Uniform pushes through the bracken. &quotAbsimiliard,&quot it questions? The Captain nods. &quotThe Elder?&quot The rat looks suspiciously at the young person, the Captain can’t possibly be out of their teens.

&quotI was the firstborn in my litter, Elder of Five,&quot the Captain explains.

The rat nods, &quotWell, that explains things. Glad I found you, I hate these jungles. So, here, two letters for you, one from a ‘K_______x’, and the other from an ‘A_______a v____________t’. Sign here please,&quot the rat holds out two letters, a form, and a charcoal pencil.

&quotYou have got to be kidding me,&quot the tiger declaims.

&quotOh no Dawon,&quot the Captain says, &quotyou see Messengers are a Very Serious Business indeed.

The Postal Rat adds, &quotThere’s a Principle at stake…

On a table in a Lady’s dressing room a folded note sits. &quotI’ve found a way to send you a message. So far all is well. All shall be well, I hope. I shall write. -A&quot

[quote=absimiliard]A silver mirror leans up against a thick tree-trunk. Dappled in cosmogone light it shows a damasked table; set with makeup and jewelry. A tiger leans forward and sniffs, then rumbles, &quotI don’t smell any snakes.

A hand, gauntleted in spider-chitin up beyond the elbow, pushes back fronds and bracken. Fingernails sharpened to claws poke through empty fingertips to catch in greenery briefly. A delicate figure in a red-dress stomps out into the clearing, hob-nailed boots leaving clear footprints in the mossy ground. &quotI think we lost them for the moment, there aren’t many in this part of the Marches any more. It’s as safe as we’re likely to get.

They tap at the surface of the mirror, then turn to the tiger. &quotI wish she’d kept it covered, but it’s useful enough for us right now. I think it’ll work. Keep watch.&quot The tiger prowls the edges of the clearing. The young person pulls a book out from their backpack, and writes quickly in it with a pencil, then tears the page from the book and folds it up. With a look of tremendous concentration they reach towards the mirror, and push the note through the mirror. It falls gently to the table-top beyond, half-opened. Breathing heavily, as if just having run a marathon, the Captain rises to unsteady feet. &quotThat was far harder than I thought.&quot They stagger, and catch themselves on a tree-trunk.

There’s a sound, a rustling, as something approaches. The tiger spins, the Captain drops into a crouch – both ready to fight, or flee.

A rat in a Postal Uniform pushes through the bracken. &quotAbsimiliard,&quot it questions? The Captain nods. &quotThe Elder?&quot The rat looks suspiciously at the young person, the Captain can’t possibly be out of their teens.

&quotI was the firstborn in my litter, Elder of Five,&quot the Captain explains.

The rat nods, &quotWell, that explains things. Glad I found you, I hate these jungles. So, here, two letters for you, one from a ‘K_______x’, and the other from an ‘A_______a v____________t’. Sign here please,&quot the rat holds out two letters, a form, and a charcoal pencil.

&quotYou have got to be kidding me,&quot the tiger declaims.

&quotOh no Dawon,&quot the Captain says, &quotyou see Messengers are a Very Serious Business indeed.

The Postal Rat adds, &quotThere’s a Principle at stake…

On a table in a Lady’s dressing room a folded note sits. &quotI’ve found a way to send you a message. So far all is well. All shall be well, I hope. I shall write. -A&quot[/quote]

I have to say, this story is quite interesting so far, but I cannot avoid asking whether ‘K_______x’ and’A_______a v____________t’ are actual FL players, or just characters for this story.

The Tiger and the Captain walk beneath a jungle canopy far above them. Smaller trees dot the mostly open area covered with forest litter and scrub. The Captain complains vociferously about how slow their progress has been. They note how the two have barely made it past three dreams in the time they’ve been here. &quot. . . At this rate we shan’t even reach the Misermere in a week.&quot

The Tiger, wise enough to have kept it’s mouth shut until now decides to finally speak. &quotAssuming you don’t get lost, and we can get out of here, and you are right about the route.

The Captain grins, teeth showing, a friendly display. &quotAhhh. Well, I have just the answer for that.&quot They extend a finger upwards, to the vine-wrapped branches of a low tree nearby. As the two approach the bough bends, lowering a ruby red cluster of grapes into reach.

&quotOh no, you know what that does,&quot the Tiger objects. &quotIndeed,&quot counters the Captain. &quotAnd, when I wake again it should be a new dream. There’s no surer way to break out of a dream. Besides, you’ll be right here, to be sure nothing bad happens.&quot The Tiger’s tail flicks agitatedly, it snarls, and bats at the branch, snapping it off cleanly. The Captain reaches out and plucks the grapes from the ground, and eats a few.

&quotDelicious, as alway . . . &quot their breathe catches, &quot. . ohh dear . . … ahhhh . … . AGGHHHHH!!&quot Eyes bulge, hands strain at an engorged throat – filled with branches. A face turns red, then purple as breath is choked from life. Red skirts fill a semi-circle around a corseted body collapsed on the jungle floor.

A Tiger roars.

The Curious Captain wakes in the early morning, all still dark, curled up in a ball with their back to a Tiger. As they rise they wince at a twinge in their throat, and cough out a tiny piece of twig. &quotAh well, one dream, one wound,&quot they whisper.

The light of dawn begins to creep into what is revealed as a new forest. The scent of roses fills the air.

&quotUp and at 'em Tiger!&quot The Captain leaps on the Tiger, the two wrestle for a bit. &quotIt’s a new day Dawon. Now let’s go find that mirror I want, you know the one, you said it was near, it can’t have shifted that much in the new dream.&quot The two set off, the Captain folding up a torn page from their book.

&quotYou’re not going to tell her you died are you?&quot The Tiger sounds concerned. &quotOh, no. She’d worry far too much,&quot the Captain answers, &quotI’ll tell her all of it in detail when I return. It wasn’t as if it was important anyway, not really. Just a doorway. Really…

On a dressing table in Fallen London, next to face-paints and perfumes; a letter. &quotFinally made some progress away from the Temple. Frustratingly slow, but things should improve with a new day. Oh, and fair warning, should you ever arrive here, avoid the grapes. -A&quot

Yay, kitty! I mean, Tiger. I mean, kitty.

High up in a lightning-blasted tree trunk a Curious Captain perches on a thick branch. One hand holds tight to a liana wrapped around the tree-trunk. Their attention is on runes carved into dead bark.

Below the Tiger paces. It opens its mouth wide, nostrils flare, as it scents the wind. &quotThere’s trouble coming, you need to hurry.&quot It calls up to the Captain.

&quotAnother moment Dawon. I’m almost finished deciphering these,&quot the Captain answers back. &quotI know it will draw me back towards London, and alert both Temple and Snakes as to where I am. But this isn’t about lignefaction or petrification. This is new. I think . . . &quot they pause, considering the Correspondence script, though the years have split the cuts in the bark wide and gaping. &quotI think … . this is … ., &quot their voice suddenly shifts, spectral, booming . … PROPERTIES OF NUMBERS

Correspondance – spoken – booms out through the forest. Echoes return and fade, again, and again. The air itself seems to ripple and twist. The bark begins to burn, the tree catches fire in moments.

The Captain leaps down from the burning tree-branch. The Tiger backs away from the flames, eyes glittering in fire-light. Raising a hand the Captain approaches the trunk and places their palm on it. Flames fade as wood turns to stone in a ripple spreading out from their hand. In moments the entire blasted tree has been petrified. But the Runes have been burned from the bark high above.

&quotWe’ve lost almost a full dream in feeding that knowledge,&quot the Captain comments. The Tiger counters, &quotBut you’re learning new things, new secrets. If you can master the properties of numbers as you have stone I think it shall have been worth the lost travel.&quot

The Captain nods. &quotI think I agree cousin, I think I agree.

In sun-dappled jungle a Curious Captain walks, at their side A Tiger.

On a dressing room table, near a make-up mirror and perfumes, lies a folded up sheet of paper torn from a book. &quotDear Heart, I have but a moment to linger here, we are pursued as I have announced my presence to All most recently. I am glad to hear your meeting with Mr. G__ has gone well so far – perhaps he shall be the fulfillment of dreams for which we both hope. For myself, I have learned new things here, secrets of Petrification and Lignefaction, of Numbers and Mirrors. I am now certain I shall be able to spot any Reflections, and tell if they are such or the original. On my return we shall set your mind to ease. -A&quot

Even the Mirror Marches have a sun, blazing cosmogone. As it sinks towards a horizon hidden by the jungle dappled spots of cosmogone turn to lengthening shadows. The sounds of the jungle change as well, in the distance monkeys set up screaming matches. Soon it is twilight.

&quotNot bad for a second day,&quot says a Curious Captain. They stride from shadow to shadow, ever steady in their course. &quotI reckon we walked right through four dreams.&quot Their voice sounds quite satisfied. A soft chorus of squeaks and chirps starts up as it gets darker. Soon pinpricks of light, stars, can be seen peeking through the forest canopy.

At the Captain’s side a Tiger pads along silently, and then speaks, &quotNo deaths today. Good distance. We’re not likely to have it so easy further in.&quot Suddenly they stop, sit down, and begin gnawing at an itch on a hind foot. The Captain stops, turns and comes back.

&quotI suppose this is as good a place to rest as any,&quot the Captain puts forth, gathering up a pile of papers and notes spilling forth from a nearby mirror and starting a fire with them. They look at one, a business card, &quotHrmmm. Perhaps useful. Pity they signed it in Irrigo ink, I’ll never remember whose card it is.&quot They tuck it away in the backpack none the less.

The Tiger curls up near the fire, after pawing a clear space on the ground, then turning around in it several times. As it blinks slowly the Captain curls up against it. The Tiger rumbles, beginning a low purr, and starts grooming a leg, with a lick on the Captain’s arm tossed in. &quotHey,&quot objects the slight human, &quotthat tongue’s rough, if you missed my gauntlet and caught flesh that would hurt.

The Tiger does not dignify the comment with a response.

The Captain settles in against their friend, and falls into a dreamless sleep.

As a Postal Rat, burdened by a mailbag stuffed to the brim, ducks back into a mirror the Curious Captain quips, &quotParadoxical, a Parabolan Postal rat Producing Possibly Portentious . … &quot The Captain gropes for another ‘P’-word. The Tiger growls in warning. &quotOh, very well, I’ll admit, I was reaching anyway.&quot They open a letter and start to read. &quotTwo days there she says.&quot They look a bit confused, &quotIt’s been three here.

The Tiger interjects, &quotWe’re still close to the City. We’ve only what, twenty people’s dreams to pass through to get back? Time is still close. It will get further, and weaker, soon.

The Captain reads on. &quotShe mentions Mr. G__, but not K_______x. I guess she’s busy enough with life. But I wish that, following a famine, she should instead choose to sample from a variety of dishes, as if at a feast. How can one learn one’s tastes if one doesn’t try many different dishes…

With a cough the Tiger comments, &quotMetaphorically, of course.&quot The Captain agrees, of course.

The scent of roses fills the air, and begins to grow stronger as the two walk on. Their conversation drops away in time, a comfortable silence. Soon the scent of the flowers becomes cloying, thick, heavier than the damp rot of the jungle, which now seems clean by comparison. The Captain pulls the red beret-like hat from their head and fans their self as they stop before a particularly thick wall of thorns and bracken. Helped by the Tiger the two push through, to a sun-filled hillside covered in yellow roses. The Captain picks one, &quotDo you think she’d . . .

&quotBlast!&quot The Tiger snarls in frustration. &quotYou keep stopping to talk to cats, you won’t stop thinking of her, the Temple keeps following us, and . . . and, you have the audacity to wonder why our progress is slow!&quot It gets in front of the Captain and turns, blocking their progress, &quotI can understand stopping to learn more secrets from the Gnomic Trees. And, yes, the Temple will always be right behind us, just a turn around over-your-shoulder and there it is. But you have to stop thinking on the City, you need to be here, not there. You’ll find out how she got on with S___ G__, or anyone else, when we get back, and you know she’ll write.

The Tiger growls, and advances on his friend. The Captain starts to back away, then changes their mind and stops, then crouches – centering and getting balanced for a fight – if they had ears that could swivel they would be pinned back. Two sets of eyes narrow, two throats growl.

A tense moment hangs in the air.

Suddenly the Captain straightens up, as they’d clearly meant to do all along, and wipes at their scalp with the hat. &quotOf course, you’re right. No more meetings with the Landgrave of the Waswood, at least after I tell him I really must be going on, it wouldn’t do to be uncivilized about this.&quot They pull a container of makeup from their backpack and dab at red lips, fixing up things.

The Tiger starts energetically grooming at a paw, a hair or two are out of place, clearly more important than anything else. &quotFine. But it’s the last time. We need to move on. And where did you get that makeup? I know you didn’t pack it when we left London.&quot The Captain shrugs, dismissively.

Finally back in perfectly groomed shape the two figures turn around and head away from the roses, away from the Temple.

Behind them the Temple watches – then follows.

The Curious Captain stomps out of the underbrush into a clearing, hob-nailed boots tearing at grass, and come to a stop at a small pond. Looking up they notice a great tiger across the water. Bold as brass they bow, a formal, courtly, bow – suited to the Empress’s Court. The tiger pads around the pond, approaching on paws capable of snapping the neck of a water-buffalo with a single blow.

A second tiger comes out of the underbrush behind the Captain. Both cats freeze on spotting the other, the larger – the one at the pond – stays where it is. The smaller of the two comes around the Captain and rubs shoulders up against the first tiger, and receives several grooming licks on its head in return. &quotIt is good to see you Cousin,&quot says the smaller. &quotDawon,&quot the larger acknowledges.

The Captain approaches, &quotLandgrave. A pleasure to see you again. I hope the Prince-Bishop is well. I fear we must be moving on, and I also fear I must apologize – in the future I fear I must avoid your pleasant company.

The larger tiger growls, low, in protest, &quotAnd for what reason that? Something Snaky no doubt.

The Captain explains, &quotNothing so sinister Sir. I have discovered that your own noble self, and our other friend’s presences all, draw me inevitably back towards the City. As I mean to explore the Marches and map a route out into all of Parabola I must therefor forsake your company.&quot The tiger nods in understanding. The Captain gestures at their companion. &quotI do wonder at how Dawon here does not do likewise?&quot

The Landgrave answers, &quotOh, it is the simplest of reasons. I, as with our other cousins, am here in dreams. We are anchored to our bodies, and selves, and that anchor can help save those lost in Mirrors. Dawon and yourself were foolish enough to enter the realm directly, and have no such anchor, and risk ever so much more should the Snakes find and take you.&quot The tiger yawns, and rises &quotI shall leave you to your journey then. I shall spread word that you are not to be helped to return to the City, if you truly do seek your Fate, well, there’s enough of the Bold Kitten left in you that I shall see to it you are indulged.

The Captain bows again. &quotYou do me great honor Sir. I shall endeavor to not sully it with failure. Be so kind as to convey my regards to the Tiger Keeper as well, I look forward to our next gazelle together, perhaps you shall join us.&quot The Landgrave’s ears flick in amused agreement.

Beneath a Sun that Is Not, near a Wood That Was, two Tigers part company – each seeking their own destiny. Alongside one a Curious Captain walks, whistling Zee-shanties as they chart their course through dreams.

It is a little known fact that recent experiments have conclusively proven that not only can sorrow spiders transport themselves from mirror to mirror, but that they need neither see nor even know of their destination mirror’s existence.

The Mirror Marches at night is a very different place. Cold, blue-ish, light from a moon hanging low in the sky changes the jungle into something mysterious and dangerous.

At the base of a tree a mirror-frame flashes silvery-blue. A small sorrow-spider climbs out of the frame. The spider is the size of a small dog, though most of it is legs. Unlike most sorrow-spiders this one is clearly a pet, it’s hair has been brushed and coiffed to perfection, tiny red ribbons edged with gold-lace are tie up it’s locks. It pauses, looking back, then skitters about a bit. Not finding what it is looking for it turns, and leaps back into the mirror-frame. The Spider bounds out of another mirror frame further in the Marches and repeats its search before vanishing into that mirror. Again, and again, it continues further into the dream-lands.

When it emerges near a small fire it stops. The Spider circles it warily, taking care to never stray into the circle of light. Near the fire are two figures, a large orange and black striped cat and curled up next to it asleep a madman with eyes of Correspondence. Quietly the Spider approaches. It can smell the eyes, ripe with the power of Correspondence, and fortified with insanity – if such is not the stuff of dreams it certainly seems so to the Spider.

The Spider freezes as the madman shifts, turning slightly, and curling up with face tucked in under arms. As they settle back into a deeper sleep the Spider creeps forward, eyeing the situation. It pauses, torn by a difficult decision. The eyes are so perfect, it wants them terribly bad. But at the tips of fingers are nails sharpened to claws, and on arms are gauntlets of spider-chitin far too thick to pierce with tiny spider-fangs. A bite to the neck or shoulders might work, but then there’s the Tiger to contend with. A quick snatch of an eye would put it far too close to those claws if the target isn’t poisoned… More important, their mistress will be terribly unhappy if they took this one’s eyes.

Decision made the spider leaps forward, toward the man’s head. It clears five feet in a moment, never touching the ground, before landing on the Tiger’s side. As the beast’s flanks twitch, and it wakes, roaring, the spider snatches the red felted hat from the man’s head and flees towards the forest. As it skitters under a fallen branch one of it’s ribbons catches, and pulls free. Quick as asparagus it leaps back into a mirror, vanishing from the Marches.

Behind it the Curious Captain and the Tiger search. The Captain finds the ribbon. &quotFufhh?&quot They call out. Soon they find the mirror the spider leapt into, in it’s frame is revealed a glimpse of debauchery – tangled limbs, lace and silks, honey-sticky fingers. &quotShe must have just come through here. But A________ would never be at the Parlour of Virtue. She is far too respectable, it’s not even… Perhaps . . …&quot The Captain is clearly worried. Nightmare scenarios play out in their mind. &quotPerhaps I should return. To be sure she’s safe…

The Tiger growls. &quotStill? We’re almost halfway to the Mountains, we should reach the Misermere tomorrow, maybe today. But we won’t if you can’t stop thinking of London, or her. You know it slows our travels, the City mires your mind in the truths of reality. And you know she doesn’t need your help, she’s quite capable of dealing with anything on her own – even a trip to the Parlour of Virtue.

The Captain sighs, frustrated and worried, but yields the point.

Near a mirror on a dressing table a young woman tries not to fret. Her companion has been gone for a long while, perhaps too long. Joy lights her face up – like the sun rising with a new dawn – when the perfectly coiffed sorrow-spider returns from the mirror. It chitters excitedly up at her: Eyes, with Correspondence, and madness! Two of it’s legs offer her the red cap from the Captain’s head. &quotYou found him,&quot the woman exclaims, &quotthank you Fluffykins, I hope it wasn’t too hard.

But the cap in her hands fades in the light of wakefulness, as all dreams do, turning to smoke then vanishing entirely – leaving only the scent of friend, and even that but for a moment.

Underneath a cold, blue, moon the Curious Captain scribbles away in a notebook. They glance up at the moon, noting how the shadows on it seem to be in the shape of a cat – curled up and asleep. &quotFitting,&quot they comment to themselves under their breath. As the moon sets they finish up.

The Tiger wakes when the sun rises. As the forest fills with shadows and dappled spots of cosmogone sunlight the Tiger gets up and stretches. Tail up, forelegs out as far as they can go, the Tiger even yawns. &quotWell, barring some unexpected interruptions a fine night. And now I’m hungry.

&quotOne moment, we can go hunting soon.&quot the Captain interjects. &quotI need to find a particular mirror, they wave the letter about, oh, and do something about my hat.&quot The Captain fiddles for a bit in their backpack, &quotDid you know that amongst the properties of numbers here is a particular maxim stating that one plus one equals one?&quot The Tiger looks skeptical, &quotNo, honestly, it’s a dream after all. It doesn’t have to make sense.

The Captain demonstrates, &quotBehold. I am without my hat.&quot They gesture to their closely-shaven scalp. &quotHowever, it is better stated that I have Zero hats.&quot They pause, dramatically, &quot . . . and as we know Zero is One Minus One. And since One Plus One Equals One, that means that Zero Equals One Minus One Plus One!&quot There is a soundless crack of thunder, and a ripple seems to spread out from the Captain, racing through the jungle. In their hand, previously empty, is now a red pirate hat, the felt crushed down so far that it more resembles a beret than a pirate’s hat.

&quotThat is so Is Not,&quot the Tiger says disapprovingly. The Captain doesn’t dispute the point, but claims to be glad of the cover from the Sun nonetheless. Together the two find the mirror, where the Captain pushes a rolled up pair of pages – tied with a single white hair from their forelock – through the mirror. It drops to the table-top, and rolls off it, out of sight.

The Captain desperately tries to see what happened to it, but in the end the Tiger convinces them to move on.

On the floor, under the corner of a bed, near a dressing table with a mirror on it, a letter waits in hope of being found.

&quotMy Dear Friend, I believe Fuffh did manage to find me, and steal my cap, at least if the gold-trimmed ribbon that the thief lost does not lie. I hope she returned to you safely.

&quotI do recall your dream of the Garden, and bees. I have recently begun to believe the bees might be the Devils, driven from Parabola by my people – well, the cats, but you know of what I meant. I have wondered for some time if the person your acquaintance saw killed, that had a bee climb out of them, was in fact a Devil. No matter. Perhaps your dream is one of foundings, of how all things started. I can not but feel that Parabola predates Stone, however I could easily be mistaken, I must admit it is nothing but intuition. Yet I am almost certain of it.

&quotI am terribly happy to hear Mr. G__ has proven a charming companion. I had hopes that perhaps he should be, simply based on his position in society, it is gratifying to be correct. (we all must bow to our desire to be &quotright&quot ever now and then, forgive me if I preen) How is he at chess, an sufficiently skilled opponent to test you better than I? Have you undertaken to contact K_______x, or any others? I find a dance is more enjoyable when there are enough partners to go around – though I swear the next time that octogenarian Mr. M_____ allows his hand to slip too far down my back again . . . . well, best left unsaid.

&quotI have discovered that Correspondence here is quite different. So far I have learned Secrets of Lignefaction and Petrification and the Properties of Numbers. I fear nothing of them is useful save here in Parabola, but I have found there are indeed practical applications. You should find it most intriguing I think. I wish I had your quick mind, or your presence with me, I’m sure there are things – important things – about them I am missing.

&quotYour dream of Storm sounds . . . delicious. You must tell me of it in detail when I return. Do you think it can rival Bell and Candle? Someday I shall find something to pay the Topsy King with and convince him to perform it for me, you should come, you’ve said he’s an excellent composer if I recall rightly, yes?

&quotI should write quite happily for hours more, but I run out of paper, Dawon wishes to press on, and rightly so. I think we should reach the Misermere tomorrow, perhaps today if things go particularly well. Be well dear heart, in all things be well. -A

{edited for typing, it had to be typing, or snakes. </Indiana Jones>}
edited by absimiliard on 4/21/2016

Underneath a red sky lit by cosmogone sunlight the Curious Captain and A Tiger lurk in the bushes. The Tiger whispers – as best as a tiger can – &quotI knew following the music was mistake, now just look where we are.

In front of the two is a clearing, filled with music inexplicably playing without a source. In the clearing a woman dances. She is dressed like a gypsy from the Surface, or one of the many mediums in the Shroud – a society of spiritualists. The woman turns, and looking into a mirror preens. For a brief moment, then another, there is a shimmering movement in her hair, and at her neck, as if she was wrapped in nearly-invisible snakes. &quotB____y Fingerkings,&quot the Tiger snarls – thankfully the woman does not hear, lost in her own music.

&quotWe have to do something,&quot the Captain says. &quotWe can’t leave her possessed. Imagine the trouble It will get up to with her body, with her clients. It could end in control of an entire Snake Cult.

&quotAgreed,&quot the tiger rumbles, &quotIf we move fast, and both attack, we should be able to take her down. If we’re quick enough she’ll be dead before the Fingerking can react.&quot The Captain’s face clearly disapproves.

&quotI am not killing her. She is Not my Prey.&quot The Captain, temporizes, &quotKilling her won’t hurt the Fingerking either, just inconvenience It. I have a better idea.

The Tiger’s tail thrashes, deeply skeptical of any of the Captain’s ‘better ideas’. When the Captain pulls out a small, jeweled, box the Tiger actually objects, &quotOh no. That’s insane. You can’t do that, you don’t even know what will happen to you, I might not even be real any more, now that I followed you through that mirror at Mrs. Plenty’s.

&quotOnly one way to learn Dawon,&quot the Captain jokes in the face of imminent disaster – typical. Rising up from behind a brush-covered rock the Captain points with one hand towards the medium. The medium, finally noticing an intruder, stops preening and turns towards the Captain snarling, &quotYou should never have returned here Absimiliard,&quot the Captain’s already pale complexioned face blanches, blood leaving lips white, as they realize the Fingerking knows them, &quotWhen you ruined July you should have fled the Marches, and never come back!&quot Suddenly snakes appear in her hair, on her shoulders, wrapped around her limbs like climbing lianas. They fall, and multiply as they do – a roiling boil of serpents slithers across the glade towards the human and tiger.

&quotThe Oorts!&quot Dawon snarls, leaping out from the bush, ready to fight and die.

The Captain bellows one word, loud enough to be heard for quite a distance – even over the sounds of battle or storm – &quotGRENADE!&quot The Tiger ducks back behind the rock as the Captain flings a small box across the clearing. It crashes to the ground near the medium’s feet, the snakes rear up, some try to flee, but they fail to escape the box shattering, and opening…

Under a blood-red sky, in a land that Is Not, there is a blaze of Sunlight – Law, brought to Lawless Land. Judgement rendered, only one creature is found innocent.

In Fallen London a grim-face knot of mediums creeps into a boathouse expecting the worst. One of their number has fallen, taken in by the Fingerking’s lures. It took great effort to locate their lost sister. The leader of the group, Mrs. Poecilia clutches a dagger – what must be done shall be done, what Is shall be kept safe from what Is Not.

To their great surprise within they do not find a woman possessed by the Fingerkings. Instead they find her collapsed and unconscious near a perfectly black mirror reflecting nothing at all. In time they succeed in waking her, but she recalls little of the Fingerkings beyond a name, the Oorts. It would seem something has saved her from the consequences of her choices – though perhaps not all of the consequences, the mediums soon discover she no longer reflects in mirrors.

Something has obliterated the woman’s reflection, forever.

{edited: for correcting some weak-sauce in the writing, sorry}
edited by absimiliard on 4/23/2016

In darkness a gentle push. Again.

From a distance, vague, soft, words, &quot… . .up . . … . Abs . . . . wake&quot.

Another push, less gentle.

Under a blood-red sky, riven by fierce clouds at war, a Tiger tries to wake his friend. The Tiger uses words. He tries grooming the collapsed figure. Gently he puts head down, forehead to their side, and shoves, hard, rolling the body over. That wakes the Captain, they try to sit up, failing the first few times, &quotI’m alive,&quot they croak. &quotDid we kill it?

&quotThe Oorts? No,&quot the Tiger responds, &quotthat was no more than a finger of it, though the bit that had it’s attention.&quot The Tiger pauses, he knows subtlety isn’t his strong suit, ‘muscles with no brains’ is how the matriarch Constance has always referred to him – he doesn’t mind, what Is Is. &quotYou need to find a mirror, did you bring one?

The Captain bursts out laughing, immediately stopping, and cradling their head in pain. &quotOh, ouch. Sorry, but, isn’t it obvious I brought a mirror?&quot They crawl across the clearing to a black, blank, mirror frame. Scattered about are shards of the mirrors that once lined a jeweled box, picking one up the Captain looks at their reflection.

&quotoh,&quot uncharacteristically meek. &quotThat isn’t good. I’m melting.&quot They pull themselves to their feet, leaning against a tree and look again at their reflection.

Revealed is a lumpen imitation of humanity. Rough features remain, formed by fingers – or claws – from blood-streaked snow. A once delicate face is now more potato-like than man or woman. An aquiline nose is now a mere evocation of itself, a small ball of snow stuck off-center as an afterthought. Green eyes, flecked with gold, remain, and the small bit of flesh around them that was shielded from the Light by a hand raised up defensively. Arms once long and gracile are now imperfect, misshapen, and different in length.

The Captain pulls up their skirts, checks legs beneath, &quotStill flesh where the rock shielded me.&quot They pull their bodice away, looking down, &quotLooks like about half-way down. We need to find some place cold, fast.

The Tiger answers, &quotThen there’s really only one place that will do here.&quot The Captain nods. &quotWe’ll lose progress.

The Captain nods again. &quotIndeed. But there’s no choice, if I melt . … . well, who knows what will happen.&quot They close their eyes, and turn around – in a third direction – over-their-shoulder – and open their eyes. Before them are paths, now more moss than stone. The two friends creep past walls with ruined once-delicate friezes barely visible. In depths beneath the the ruins of the Temple, in catacombs, they find darkness and respite from the heat.

&quotTime,&quot the Captain thinks aloud, &quotI think that’s what we need. Time and sleep. I don’t seem to be melting, and I think the snow is changing back to me again.

The tiger interjects, &quotSnow? Why snow?

&quotOh, for that you can blame Mr. Sacks I’m afraid. I’m no more real than the Fingerkings I guess. He made me, with Captain Warwick’s blood, for some reason.&quot The Captain looks a bit confused, &quotAt least I’m fairly sure that was me. Well, a part of me, an important one.

&quotI guess I always thought you were still the Bold Kitten,&quot the Tiger offers. The Captain counters, &quotOh no. I’m sorry Dawon, but she’s dead. I’m just what’s left of her, mixed with a snowman and made real by Salt – and all that just to gain vengeance on someone they cursed. I probably wouldn’t even have survived the Sunlight if not for Salt’s desires. Perhaps one Judgement cannot over-rule another Judgement’s direct handiwork? Maybe there’s a higher power, to which they must appeal, for such things? Who can say?

The Captain laughs, a sad, tired, bitter, laugh.

&quotTime, that’s what we need.

[quote=absimiliard]In darkness a gentle push. Again.

From a distance, vague, soft, words, &quot… . .up . . … . Abs . . . . wake&quot.

Another push, less gentle.

Under a blood-red sky, riven by fierce clouds at war, a Tiger tries to wake his friend. The Tiger uses words. He tries grooming the collapsed figure. Gently he puts head down, forehead to their side, and shoves, hard, rolling the body over. That wakes the Captain, they try to sit up, failing the first few times, &quotI’m alive,&quot they croak. &quotDid we kill it?

&quotThe Oorts? No,&quot the Tiger responds, &quotthat was no more than a finger of it, though the bit that had it’s attention.&quot The Tiger pauses, he knows subtlety isn’t his strong suit, ‘muscles with no brains’ is how the matriarch Constance has always referred to him – he doesn’t mind, what Is Is. &quotYou need to find a mirror, did you bring one?

The Captain bursts out laughing, immediately stopping, and cradling their head in pain. &quotOh, ouch. Sorry, but, isn’t it obvious I brought a mirror?&quot They crawl across the clearing to a black, blank, mirror frame. Scattered about are shards of the mirrors that once lined a jeweled box, picking one up the Captain looks at their reflection.

&quotoh,&quot uncharacteristically meek. &quotThat isn’t good. I’m melting.&quot They pull themselves to their feet, leaning against a tree and look again at their reflection.

Revealed is a lumpen imitation of humanity. Rough features remain, formed by fingers – or claws – from blood-streaked snow. A once delicate face is now more potato-like than man or woman. An aquiline nose is now a mere evocation of itself, a small ball of snow stuck off-center as an afterthought. Green eyes, flecked with gold, remain, and the small bit of flesh around them that was shielded from the Light by a hand raised up defensively. Arms once long and gracile are now imperfect, misshapen, and different in length.

The Captain pulls up their skirts, checks legs beneath, &quotStill flesh where the rock shielded me.&quot They pull their bodice away, looking down, &quotLooks like about half-way down. We need to find some place cold, fast.

The Tiger answers, &quotThen there’s really only one place that will do here.&quot The Captain nods. &quotWe’ll lose progress.

The Captain nods again. &quotIndeed. But there’s no choice, if I melt . … . well, who knows what will happen.&quot They close their eyes, and turn around – in a third direction – over-their-shoulder – and open their eyes. Before them are paths, now more moss than stone. The two friends creep past walls with ruined once-delicate friezes barely visible. In depths beneath the the ruins of the Temple, in catacombs, they find darkness and respite from the heat.

&quotTime,&quot the Captain thinks aloud, &quotI think that’s what we need. Time and sleep. I don’t seem to be melting, and I think the snow is changing back to me again.

The tiger interjects, &quotSnow? Why snow?

&quotOh, for that you can blame Mr. Sacks I’m afraid. I’m no more real than the Fingerkings I guess. He made me, with Captain Warwick’s blood, for some reason.&quot The Captain looks a bit confused, &quotAt least I’m fairly sure that was me. Well, a part of me, an important one.

&quotI guess I always thought you were still the Bold Kitten,&quot the Tiger offers. The Captain counters, &quotOh no. I’m sorry Dawon, but she’s dead. I’m just what’s left of her, mixed with a snowman and made real by Salt – and all that just to gain vengeance on someone they cursed. I probably wouldn’t even have survived the Sunlight if not for Salt’s desires. Perhaps one Judgement cannot over-rule another Judgement’s direct handiwork? Maybe there’s a higher power, to which they must appeal, for such things? Who can say?

The Captain laughs, a sad, tired, bitter, laugh.

&quotTime, that’s what we need.[/quote]

The plot is twisting itself into the tightest of knots.

Agonizingly, desperately, the Curious Captain pulls themselves to their feet. With the night’s passage most of them has become flesh once more, only some of their chest remains blood-stained snow. Where flesh has returned it has returned changed – now burnished to deeply-tanned bronze by the Sunlight. The Tiger slowly rises to follow their friend.

Terribly slowly, excruciatingly, the two climb up from dark coolness into the sweltering heat of the temple. Long ago there was Harmony and Order here, now there are stone-colored ancient trees growing up amidst ruined walls.

The pair stop, unable to proceed in what was once a walled garden. The Captain collapses, back against a wall, &quotWe’ll never make it past the lilies and the trees like this.&quot The Tiger nods, and whimpers as a leg protests action. Above them the sunlight shines shines through a tiny round window into the vegetation beyond. As the Tiger and the Captain collapse into pain-filled sleep the sunlight focuses and a small fire begins to crackle and smoke.

In time the forest outside the garden walls burns. The forest fire rages out from the temple, scorching the land as the dream the friends are in dissolved into another dream. In the garden perfumed smoke drifts – intoxicating. As the fire burns away the last of its meal, and begins to sleep itself, the Tiger wakes. As it rises, and wakes the Captain, they discover that sleep or the perfumed smoke has healed them . . . somewhat.

Still limping, the Captain swearing, they set out from the Temple into the a new jungle. &quotTime to find that mirror again,&quot the Captain notes. &quotI’d like to try to send this letter – if I have the strength – before we attempt the lilies.&quot As they search a last, plaintive, comment from the Captain, &quotDo you think she will forget me? What with her new love, Mr. G__? I could not bear to lose her.

The Tiger shakes its massive head, but is far too wise to reply, perhaps its great-grandmother Constance is wrong about ‘all muscles, no brains – if you like that sort of thing,’ after all.

On a small, damasked, table, a letter from dreams, on the back of it in the corner of the paper, a small brown smear – dried blood.

&quotI wish I had better news, but the past seven days have been difficult. The journey has been long, and is now grown terribly hard. Dawon and I must attempt to pass the Lilies of Gold, and their allies the Trees, but I fear our wounds may already be too great. Rest tonight should recover us enough to continue, I hope. They are the last thing between us and the Misermere.

Yesterday we found, and engaged in battle, the Oorts, one of the Fingerkings. We prevailed, and have wounded it and driven it off. I believe we saved the woman it was possessing, I wish so at least. I hope the costs shall not be proven too high. Dawon is limping and cursing, but he shall recover.

If we can not pass the Lilies I fear I may have to turn back. All the effort I went to in obtaining the finest of Mrs. Gebrandt’s nostrums has proved an ill investment. Here her bottles are nothing more than images, memories, and the one I tried did nothing to cure my wounds. I fear our progress has now slowed such that I question if we can succeed in reaching the Hanging Mountains. We shall persevere. I should not like anyone, even if just my dearest friend, to think me inconstant in achieving my goals.

I should have preferred to keep much of this from you until my return, I recall how you worried about Mr. Black, but you asked me for truth. I hope I have not chosen poorly. Please try not to worry, if not for your sake then for Mr. G__, let him see your smile – it lights your face up so, like a new day’s dawn illuminating the world – something I now know of. A grand benefit of coming here, I have, at last, seen the Sun, well, A Sun.

Your dreams of Serpents and rotting flowers worry me. It sounds as if even without mirrors you are terribly close to the Marches. I have heard it said that the eyes of a Correspondent are like mirrors, or maybe it was that Correspondence written on eyes turned them to mirrors … . blast, I can not recall it. Perhaps you can recall the reference, you are ever the more clever of the two of us, but I wonder if perhaps your eyes are the mirrors linking you to the Marches. Your dreams are terribly strong, I barely dream at all in comparison. Something to discuss on our reunion.

Much as that new dress of yours, I must see it. I’m not so certain of tiaras, but they would suit your hair so much more than mine that I should consider my judgement on them to be, shall we say, ‘less than infallible’.

I am pleased to hear of your progress in the Labyrinth. I was certain my recommendation to the Keeper would be justified in time. I can not deny that some of the prisoners are unjustly imprisoned, but it is so difficult to tell who was just guilty of offending the Duchess by hunting cats for secrets – just an example – from those who hunted them to kill them, because they were possessed. I have come to trust the judgement of Mr. Inch and the Keeper in these things.

Your most recent letter intrigues me – a knife that is both blade and mirror. I think I could desperately use such a thing here. I must look into obtaining one somehow when I return.

Be well in all things dear heart. I shall write again when next I can.

[quote=absimiliard]Agonizingly, desperately, the Curious Captain pulls themselves to their feet. With the night’s passage most of them has become flesh once more, only some of their chest remains blood-stained snow. Where flesh has returned it has returned changed – now burnished to deeply-tanned bronze by the Sunlight. The Tiger slowly rises to follow their friend.

Terribly slowly, excruciatingly, the two climb up from dark coolness into the sweltering heat of the temple. Long ago there was Harmony and Order here, now there are stone-colored ancient trees growing up amidst ruined walls.

The pair stop, unable to proceed in what was once a walled garden. The Captain collapses, back against a wall, &quotWe’ll never make it past the lilies and the trees like this.&quot The Tiger nods, and whimpers as a leg protests action. Above them the sunlight shines shines through a tiny round window into the vegetation beyond. As the Tiger and the Captain collapse into pain-filled sleep the sunlight focuses and a small fire begins to crackle and smoke.

In time the forest outside the garden walls burns. The forest fire rages out from the temple, scorching the land as the dream the friends are in dissolved into another dream. In the garden perfumed smoke drifts – intoxicating. As the fire burns away the last of its meal, and begins to sleep itself, the Tiger wakes. As it rises, and wakes the Captain, they discover that sleep or the perfumed smoke has healed them . . . somewhat.

Still limping, the Captain swearing, they set out from the Temple into the a new jungle. &quotTime to find that mirror again,&quot the Captain notes. &quotI’d like to try to send this letter – if I have the strength – before we attempt the lilies.&quot As they search a last, plaintive, comment from the Captain, &quotDo you think she will forget me? What with her new love, Mr. G__? I could not bear to lose her.

The Tiger shakes its massive head, but is far too wise to reply, perhaps its great-grandmother Constance is wrong about ‘all muscles, no brains – if you like that sort of thing,’ after all.

On a small, damasked, table, a letter from dreams, on the back of it in the corner of the paper, a small brown smear – dried blood.

&quotI wish I had better news, but the past seven days have been difficult. The journey has been long, and is now grown terribly hard. Dawon and I must attempt to pass the Lilies of Gold, and their allies the Trees, but I fear our wounds may already be too great. Rest tonight should recover us enough to continue, I hope. They are the last thing between us and the Misermere.

Yesterday we found, and engaged in battle, the Oorts, one of the Fingerkings. We prevailed, and have wounded it and driven it off. I believe we saved the woman it was possessing, I wish so at least. I hope the costs shall not be proven too high. Dawon is limping and cursing, but he shall recover.

If we can not pass the Lilies I fear I may have to turn back. All the effort I went to in obtaining the finest of Mrs. Gebrandt’s nostrums has proved an ill investment. Here her bottles are nothing more than images, memories, and the one I tried did nothing to cure my wounds. I fear our progress has now slowed such that I question if we can succeed in reaching the Hanging Mountains. We shall persevere. I should not like anyone, even if just my dearest friend, to think me inconstant in achieving my goals.

I should have preferred to keep much of this from you until my return, I recall how you worried about Mr. Black, but you asked me for truth. I hope I have not chosen poorly. Please try not to worry, if not for your sake then for Mr. G__, let him see your smile – it lights your face up so, like a new day’s dawn illuminating the world – something I now know of. A grand benefit of coming here, I have, at last, seen the Sun, well, A Sun.

Your dreams of Serpents and rotting flowers worry me. It sounds as if even without mirrors you are terribly close to the Marches. I have heard it said that the eyes of a Correspondent are like mirrors, or maybe it was that Correspondence written on eyes turned them to mirrors … . blast, I can not recall it. Perhaps you can recall the reference, you are ever the more clever of the two of us, but I wonder if perhaps your eyes are the mirrors linking you to the Marches. Your dreams are terribly strong, I barely dream at all in comparison. Something to discuss on our reunion.

Much as that new dress of yours, I must see it. I’m not so certain of tiaras, but they would suit your hair so much more than mine that I should consider my judgement on them to be, shall we say, ‘less than infallible’.

I am pleased to hear of your progress in the Labyrinth. I was certain my recommendation to the Keeper would be justified in time. I can not deny that some of the prisoners are unjustly imprisoned, but it is so difficult to tell who was just guilty of offending the Duchess by hunting cats for secrets – just an example – from those who hunted them to kill them, because they were possessed. I have come to trust the judgement of Mr. Inch and the Keeper in these things.

Your most recent letter intrigues me – a knife that is both blade and mirror. I think I could desperately use such a thing here. I must look into obtaining one somehow when I return.

Be well in all things dear heart. I shall write again when next I can.[/quote]

[li]
Wow, I guess the Writing Widow won’t make an appearance… (no connection to this plot) I like this (even if I prefer Prof. Strix comics)

Ten. I have ten heartbeats before I have to breathe. My chest burns as I spin, taking things in. If I can not escape the trees restraining and trying to kill me I am doomed. Even if I can break free there are yards of yellow lilies between me and the clearing’s edge, behind me tens times as much distance. One breathe, just one, and the lilies shall fell me with their scent, and the trees feast on my corpse.

Nine. I tear free from the branches prisoning my arms. Sharp twigs skitter off of, or break on, hard gauntlets made of chitin from Savior’s Reach. Long ago, when I sharpened my nails down to vicious points, I had the fingertips removed to expose my claws. I tear at the golden flowers twining around my legs, the skirts have proven a poor choice in this fight.

Eight. Blood flows down my corset from the branches at my shoulder. As I tear free from two trees tears of pain blur my vision. At least my choice to wear red is vindicated.

Seven, six, five… I race towards the edge of the clearing. My heart wants to burst, my lungs burn as if on fire, and I can not tell if the pain in my side is a stitch in the muscle or if one of the branches has pierced my sprung-steel corsetry to wound me. I hear branches breaking behind me, I have no time to look back but Dawon must be free.

Four. I’m slowing. Blood-loss makes me giddy. I pray to my maker, wasted effort, ‘Salt, please. If I fall let P_______ find and end whatever returns in my skin.’ Dawon flies past me, tigers move so d___ably fast. Haunches coil and, like springs, release flinging over five hundred pounds of angry tiger at the trees blocking our only exit. With his last breath he roars a battlecry. Paws that can snap a buffalo’s neck in a single blow wreak havoc amongst the trees, but there are too many.

Three. Staggering forward I watch as Dawon again breaks free, scattering the enemy. The gap in the trees reveals what lies beyond – a hill covered in yellow lilies sloping down to a lake in the distance. The Misermere, but far too far. Dawon collapses asleep, felled by the lilies. The trees advance. We have lost.

Two. My legs give out, and I collapse to hands and knees. There is no point in continuing further.

One. I hope she doesn’t grieve too long. Let him be good to her.

A fire rises inside me, rage, despair, hatred. As I throw back my head it consumes me. I scream – things no human throat could speak in the real world.

I scream in Fire.

Deep in the Mirror Marches the Correspondence of Dreams burns and catches fire. Around the Captain flowers vanish as the PROPERTIES OF NUMBERS change. Trees turn to stone, petrifying all around the man crawling towards a wounded tiger as LIGNEFACTION AND PETRIFICATION take hold. But nothing proves as destructive as the last, WAR WITH FIRE AND WATER – screamed as the Captain collapses unconscious – all around the Captain and the Tiger water flashes to fire, and the forest explodes into flame.

A forest fire rages. Oddly, as before, the dying forest heals both man and tiger, somewhat.

Such is logic in dreams.

Gorse chokes the valley surrounding the Misermere, each thorn as sharp and bright as an ice-pick. The waters of the Misermere are deep green – the heart of a rotting emerald – cosmogone glints in the waves echoing back the sunlight from above. Two figures push through and emerge at the banks of a small brook leading to the lake. The Curious Captain’s dress has been ripped to rags, the Tiger’s flanks are beaded with blood from un-numbered pricks of the thorns. They stop in the shade, beneath burgundy trees, &quotWhat is flesh here?,&quot the Captain muses, &quotOr even clothes, when they can be remade?

&quotAbout two nights of rest and recovery, plus aches and pains that can’t heal until we return to waking,&quot the Tiger grumbles.

The Captain nods, &quotFair point that.&quot They bend down and pick something glinting beneath the stream’s surface, a handful of coins from unheard of kingdoms. One is stamped with a silver tree. Another bears a coiling ouroboros on it’s face. The third sits, coldly, in their palm, white as the North Wind’s door. The Captain puts the lot away in their backpack, &quotI know they shan’t last, being dreams, but my memories of them should.&quot

The two rest for a time. The Captain re-reads a letter, and takes a long slow sniff at the envelope, savoring the scents from reality. They pen a few lines in their book for when they next find a certain, particular, mirror. In the stream the Tiger swims, chasing fish in an enjoyable but pointless game of tag – a game with delicious, if lethal, consequences for one of the parties.

A folded sheet of neatly printed letters sits, waiting, on a table before a mirror.

&quotSuccess! We have at last forced our way to the shores of the Misermere. I fear the battle with the lilies and their allies has left a blasted wasteland of stone trunks and ashes in it’s wake, but Dawon and I have emerged triumphant! And now, after some days resting, to tend to his wounds, we have finally reached the lake. I can see the tombs of the Prince-Bishop and his ancestors in the distance on the shore. I am certain we’re nearing my goal, the route out of the Marches and into Parabola at large.

&quotI am pleased the Bishop took my advice and contacted you. I know he is fiercely strong, but you can be terribly deadly-quick, but his advantage in reach must be dreadful, though he lacks any flexibility in comparison to you. May I wager that you only narrowly lost when he got a paw on you after you almost evaded him long enough to wear him down? I am prepared to offer the traditional Dare as my hazard, unless you can think of a better one?

I should be cautious of the Devils, but you know my history with them, we each Fascinate the other as a fascinated Prey is the most easy to capture. Having seduced what must be half of Veilgarden’s most attractive people, and a great many men and women at court I can personally attest that Fascination is a deadly game, one I have finally despaired of ever kindling warmth in my heart. Follow your curiosity as you must, I should Never advise otherwise, but be wary – and at least promise me you’ll allow nothing to pass your lips at any Abstractions. I can not forget how they drugged me to insensibility, I still can not recall what happened that night, it is quite surprising I escaped with my soul. I should grieve if you were to lose yours, for you to be so dulled – to lose your bright edges and sharp points – would be a crime.

&quotI should not blame Storm entirely for his feelings. Consider the prize in question. To lose such a thing would drive one to distraction, even the thought of it must be agonizing – I mean, I assume.

&quotI can not think of any gift you could send me here that means as much, or could bring me such strength. I wish I had something of equal value to offer. Words fail. Thank you, my dearest friend.