The Creditor (Heavy spoilers)

So… The Creditor is the moon? Like, the ACTUAL MOON in the sky? All I can imagine is the Bazaar- with the Masters in tow- first approaching the Earth all those millennium ago only to find they need to pay a toll to the moon in order to land. Ha!

I shouldn’t be surprised, yet somehow Fallen London has found another way to make me feel awe.

Run that by me again? I think I missed that bit of lore!

I don’t think that’s accurate. Isn’t it the moon’s twin?
edited by MidnightVoyager on 6/6/2021

If Furnace’s jokes can be taken at face value (which they probably can, because there are independent hints to it), then the Creditor is the Moon’s sibling, whatever that means.

I’m pretty sure the Creditor is just a sibling to the Moon. What I am less clear on is the size of the Creditor itself. We know it is a sentient patch of land-- but it just the Upper River area? The entire Neath? The Earth itself?

It appears to be a patch of land west of London stretching roughly from Evenlonde to Hell.

It appears to be a patch of land west of London stretching roughly from Evenlonde to Hell.[/quote]

Yes, but is it bigger than a breadbox? :)

When you examine the chunk of itself that the Creditor mailed to the Bazaar to remind (inform) her of the debt, you do some experiments on its nature. Those experiments suggest an affinity or connection with the moon. The various NPCs seem to have apprehended this better than most players (including myself).

To my understanding: The Creditor was separated from the Moon when the Neath was formed. Recall that, in the real world (not the game universe), one theory of the Moon’s formation was that a big-huge meteor (Mars-sized?) hit the Earth and the moon was ejected from the impact. This can plausibly be aligned with a story of how the Neath was created. Perhaps the Moon is the chunk of the Earth that was dug out to form the Neath.

The Creditor is definitely not the Neath entire. Its extent might be large, but is still finite. The part of it that sat in the Place of Judgement underneath the Evenlode might actually be roughly breadbox-sized, judging by the size of the throne.

[quote=PSGarak]When you examine the chunk of itself that the Creditor mailed to the Bazaar to remind (inform) her of the debt, you do some experiments on its nature. Those experiments suggest an affinity or connection with the moon. The various NPCs seem to have apprehended this better than most players (including myself).

To my understanding: The Creditor was separated from the Moon when the Neath was formed. Recall that, in the real world (not the game universe), one theory of the Moon’s formation was that a big-huge meteor (Mars-sized?) hit the Earth and the moon was ejected from the impact. This can plausibly be aligned with a story of how the Neath was created. Perhaps the Moon is the chunk of the Earth that was dug out to form the Neath.

The Creditor is definitely not the Neath entire. Its extent might be large, but is still finite. The part of it that sat in the Place of Judgement underneath the Evenlode might actually be roughly breadbox-sized, judging by the size of the throne.[/quote]

That…actually makes a very good deal of sense. Caverns roughly around the size of Europe don’t just spontaneously form under the Earth. True, the Bazaar and the Stone Pigs might have been able to dig it out, but all that rock and dirt has to go somewhere. Perhaps the Bazaar is the huge meteor, in a metaphorical sense?

Well, in real life the impact that created the moon almost destroyed the Earth. It melted the planet basically. So no caverns left behind. Plus any such crater would be MUCH larger than Europe. To large for any kind of natural processes to create a roof for.

Well, the Neath is probably much larger than Europe. Ascertaining its true size is difficult because of the wonky spacetime towards the edges, but the &quotroughly the size of Europe&quot bit seems to refer to the relatively normal bit that we get to explore in Sunless Sea. There is basically no IRL geological process that could create anything even close to the Neath, so its creation must have involved a supernatural event. A planet impacting the Earth could certainly qualify.

The Neath is referred as the lab of Judgements in the very old dev comments, and I think there was something about being created by Sun in that part with the stone.
Piecing the parts together - Creditor was a part struck from a bigger moon (stone again), though still counting as the &quotsame species&quot so to speak, and then appointed to be a judge and referee between other Neathy powers (Dean’s info), apparently, by the Sun itself.

Also, the whole thing with super huge cave with a different source of vitality (and the origin of life) and some strange bugger at the bottom, connected to the Moon, bears distinct resemblance to Evangelion.
With Moulin clearly spurred into referencing a &quotRoadside Picnic&quot by &quotUrasekai Picnic&quot - actually plausible. Anyway, who cares?
edited by Aro Saren on 6/11/2021
edited by Aro Saren on 6/11/2021