The Convergence of our Ambitions?

I am a would be player of the Marvellous, and my efforts in attempting to gather together the players of this fine and thrilling game have resulted in a long layoff in Polythreme. I have been told I must return to London to track down a diamond, but I have grown to enjoy the company of my teacups and have decided to stay for a month or so. But this time apart from the pressures and pleasures of the Bazaar has given me time to think about my life since I descended into London in pursuit of my Heart’s Desire.
Now, a few spoilers: [color=white]The King with a Hundred Hearts was near death, and in exchange for the first city his life was saved, by replacing his heart with a diamond. This diamond has been split into countless fragments over a significant length of time, thus suggesting this diamond was originally a phenomenal size; say the size of a cow? We are also told, and indeed it has become our task, to find a diamond shard that is of such size that its presence can be felt by the King. May I venture that it could be the size of a pig, or perhaps a kitten at the very least. The King knows that this shard was taken to Spite.
[/color]The reason why I feel confident in my assumptions over the size of this diamond is that through my connections within Doubt Street, I have communicated with certain individuals who also have been tracking down a diamond. They tell me that this jewel would shame the Rajahs themselves. They tell me that their first lead on such a prize was within Spite. They call themselves ‘Light Fingered’, perhaps a pun on the substantial nature of the gem in question. Is there significance here, or am I merely barking up the wrong tree? (A fascinating thing to do in Polythreme I must tell you, as it is almost certain that when one barks at trees, the trees respond in kind. Wonderful place.)

Sorry mate. the jewel is not even a jewel at all. However the reward I THINK I will be getting will be worth more then some shabby jewel the size of a cow.

I know that the storyline for Light Fingers has since moved on rapidly from the initial lead. All I am pointing out is that it seems that through the course of my ambition, I have been led to the start point of Light Fingers, right down to the location and the motivation
I suppose I should have been clearer in my question, in that is it that ALL the ambitions will eventually in one form or another overlap in this way? Here it seems that Marvellous Players are being lead to Light Fingers… will those pursuing Light Fingers be led to a spot of Vake Hunting? Will the Vake hunters find and old enemy that needs to be dealt with? And will those whom are sworn to avenge a fallen love find that to achieve their objective, it will become their Heart’s Desire?

That would be pretty cool. As a Vake-hunter, I haven’t seen anything of the sort yet, though. We know Mr Fires is involved somehow, and there’s an order of nuns that dates back to the Second city, but nothing that ties in to a huge diamond or the Marvellous.

As far as Nemesis is concerned, there don’t seem to be links to any of the others. There’s certainly some filling out of certain minor references in the main story - something being built in the tomb-colonies, for example, and an exploration of red honey. However, now that we’ve found the weapon, we’re after the hand that set it in motion without any idea as yet as to why any of this happened. It’s not impossible that it’ll be linked up with the others, but right now, there’s no sign of it.

yeah, I couldn’t help but think of my own Lightfingers quest when I read that. Might just be co-incidence, I guess we shall see.

Mr Fires, you say? I seem to recall there being hints of his involvement in a certain bargain the Hundreds was once a part of.

Mr Fires, you say? I seem to recall there being hints of his involvement in a certain bargain the Hundreds was once a part of.[/quote]

Wait, ain’t he the owner of the [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Market Beast, the dirigible used by Poor Edward - and the Master behind the Orphanage[/color] in Light Fingers Ambition?

…wait, I might be wrong… I went back and looked, and it’s Mr Wines who’s cropped up, not Mr Fires. Mr Wines has some sort of vested interest in the Vake and in Vake-hunters. Sorry :(

Hmmmm. Fires is still involved in Light Fingers and (probably) the backstory of Heart’s Desire.

Given the nature of the Ambitions, I would not be at all surprised–though I’d be immensely pleased–if they did indeed all converge.

[quote=Jack Vaux-Harrowden]Hmmmm. Fires is still involved in Light Fingers and (probably) the backstory of Heart’s Desire.

Given the nature of the Ambitions, I would not be at all surprised–though I’d be immensely pleased–if they did indeed all converge.[/quote]

It would seem fitting: being fire and ambivalent symbol - both for progress (Prometheus’ gift of fire to the human race was the first step from savagery to civilization) and purification, and for wanton destruction - I wouldn’t be surprised if Mr Fires was directly involved in the end of the previous Fallen Cities, and in the future, of this very one. Who better an enemy/ally for the game’s “ending”?