The City in Silver

… who would have known that the City in Silver would turn out to be such an emotionally charged topic …

on the one hand I don’t know any of the FGB staff personally, so I have no idea about their backgrounds and individual experiences with working class existences.

on the other hand I am fairly sure (though in the end I don’t know either) that their personal knowledge of the lives of Victorian Aristocracy, the development and application of reality altering science or the secret war between the cats and the snakes is rather limited - nevertheless they decided to tell stories about those topics.
and I myself found them quite enjoyable.

6 Likes

Hey I’m pretty sure you’re another troll but in case you aren’t:

What do you mean by this? FBG has 4 games currently, and of them only one is a romance game at all, so I’d hardly call that a specialization. And even if they were I don’t see how that would be relevant to whether the staff was equipped to write about class conflict??

Unless you’re talking about historical class conflict, in which case it might actually bolster the case for them being qualified since many labor movements were lead by or involved openly (or open secret) queer workers at the forefront of the movement.

I’m just scratching my head about this one because it’s an argument I am actually a bit baffled by and unsure what you meant.

8 Likes

I can’t say I’m surprised CiS provoked a strong response, heavily anticipated stories that are released a looooong time after they were first foreshadowed in the text often end up creating that kind of reaction. But it is kinda odd that both of our new forum members here are specifically complaining about the most predicable and unsurprising aspects of CiS?

Yes, the tracklayer’s city, the city built by and for the tracklayers, is going to involve a lot of working class union politics, just like every other interaction with the tracklayers because the group is specifically made up of working class union members and has been this whole time. If you didn’t like that, probably the time to say so was the first time the union struck? Or when you promised to help them build a city?

7 Likes

Worth noting that that meme came from one of the reddit pages linked yesterday. This is certainly a troll, and we should just ignore this one too. (Too? Could be the same person I suppose.)

7 Likes

Most definitely the same troll from reddit, the usernames are far to similar to be coincidence. I suspect they might also be the person who was on here yesterday under a new account, but that I’m less confident about. Regardless, I concur with ignoring them

5 Likes

I feel really grateful to have been warned about it here. As far as I’m concerned, in-character I never bothered building the line because I ride a Vake, and I don’t want to deprive my ex-insufferable workforce of the primal fear from being hunted from above with the false security of a train’s roof.

2 Likes

Oh, and finally hauled my city to the very gate of Hell as originally intended! A minor deed in the scheme of things perhaps, but an achievement I’m proud to have under my belt (along with the dubious feat of putting Mr. Fires in my debt. AGAIN.

Genuinely curious, if by any chance there are folks who helped him in both the Scheme of the Phoenix’s resolution as well as the Discordance kerfuffle AND took his kitten-sized diamond bribe, is he less salty?) before trudging back to the Hearts’ Game grind.

PS: One more matter. Has anyone here…allowed Hell it’s hour? I’d love to see the results for that.

1 Like

There are a few things on my mind regarding the city, but for now:
If I had a complaint, it would be the lack of yet another statue to ourselves.
(Or others I suppose.)
Yes, our duplicate can become the city and (presumably) have all manner of statue in our honor, but that’s not quite the same is it?
There’s a spot at the tracklayers station pointedly bereft of statuary; and even if the addition did nothing it would still go towards satisfying a sense of completionism.
(At least, until the other spur lines get one too because why not at this point, really?)

2 Likes

As a loyal servant of our industrialist little friend, he’s actually saltier, if anything.

It’s in the diamond variable

3 Likes

HA! That’s our Fires alright. And the poor bugger wonders why he has nobody left to talk about his schemes with.

2 Likes

As sad as I am that I can’t marry her, I’m still happy I get to continue my romance with Furnace. The bourgeois will never know what hit 'em!

6 Likes

Look, they’re gonna have to let us marry her SOMEDAY!

(Note: I haven’t played this content yet. Maybe I’ll hate Furnace. I can’t imagine that’s true based on what I’ve heard, but hey, stranger things have happened.)

5 Likes

Since there’s no end of praise for Furnace, and I say this having only gotten stuck with him only as mutual enemies to the rest of my workforce, I’ll just say that it’s pleasantly surprising the Lackey apparently cares enough to see his old mum regularly and draws the line at making her work long shifts just for the visit.

I’m fully aware this means absolutely nothing to the majority of players, I was just surprised he had any scruples at all.

6 Likes

But he only does that if he’s Your lackey! Otherwise, he has Mr Stones come for a visit, so I think that implies that we are a good influence on him, getting him to see his mom and all that.

4 Likes

Wait, really?! That is nice in principle, although I have a hard time imagining MY PC being a good influence on him. Maybe he’s just developing a guilty conscience by association with my campaign of terror against the working man.

3 Likes

I do wish there was a true Emancipationist successor for Furnace, though - I kinda hope the Feast might have a tracklayer companion you can put in charge, or that one might be added in the future.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for the Pirate-Poet

7 Likes

Canny Costermonger… Not that it’ll ever happen…

Precocious Engineer. When they got a second Hallowmas upgrade I really hoped that was a sign they would be marriageable but not so.

1 Like

That’s so real, I love her

2 Likes