The Cintamani Ball

I apologise I had to leave for a little a small matter of business but I thank you for the compliments, it is excellent to meet all of you in person I’ve heard so much about you (god time zones are monstrous) I also brought a new mask its the devil mask from last Hallowmas and if worst comes to worst I always have the orphanage mask.
edited by the old man on 12/16/2019

when my nocturnal (to me at least) colleges have returned, I shall ask mr addled about this colony I keep hearing about and ask la- ge- errr just six I suppose for a dance

Rosamund Atwood enters in a swirl of skirts, her burgundy gown threaded with gold and iridescent threads that catch the light. Her dark hair is pulled back in a bun, adorned with a festive sprig of white poinsettia. She makes her way over to the hosts, her hands carefully splayed over her face, revealing only her eyes.

“Merry Christmas, Professor! Merry Christmas Ondine! Thank you so much for your kind invitation. Might I still be able to borrow one of your masks for the evening, or shall I continue to improvise?” She wiggles her fingers, the nails of which are painted a glittery gold.

“Oh! I’ve also brought back your book, Professor. Many thanks for your generosity.”

[quote=Siankan]
His companion, meanwhile, takes Sapho in her arms. &quotLa! Lady Byron! The Professor told me that you had promised to come! Positively jubilant that you’re here. But darling,&quot she says, mock seriously, &quotthe two of you must stay away from the wines this time. If you begin composing again, who shall protect the innocent? And someone here&quot–you could hear the eyebrow raise behind the mask–&quotmust be innocent.

&quotBut come!&quot She leads Sapho into the room. &quotDo tell what you’ve been up to. And where did you get that marvelous sash?&quot
edited by Siankan on 12/16/2019[/quote]

“But are there innocents here?” Lady Byron asks, exaggeratedly looking about the room, having easily slid into the welcoming arms. “But if you can keep the Professor wine-free, then the two of us shall stay away from it. And as to my sash, it’s from a little place just off the Bazaar called The Gentleman’s Halse. And speaking of called, what shall I call you?”

&quotAnd look! Now you’re a red-head just like me! Oh … and I deem your chapeau to be a cephalo-cephalopod.&quot
edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 12/17/2019

Ixc and Nora discussed the party and their lack of invitations as they approached Cintamani House. &quotI hope the professor doesn’t mind if we gatecrash. I mean half the town is apparently going to try it.&quot Ixc said worriedly.

&quotI mean what’s the worst that could happen? They have a tiger at the door?&quot Nora smiled at him and ran around the last corner to the House.

&quotWell, tigers are very hard to fight. Or even avoid a mauling.&quot

&quotIf you don’t mind, do you have any ideas? It’s a little important right now.&quot Nora’s voice floated back towards to Ixc

&quotNora, I doubt that would be necessary. I mean, it would be almost impossible the Professor would have a tiger-&quot Ixc rounded the corner. &quotOh&quot.

&quotYep.&quot

&quotWell, let’s see if we can get into the party without being mauled. I would hate to play chess with the Boatman or whatever boring pastimes they have instead of attending a party as energetic as this one.&quot Nora shrugged. &quotI would hate to ruin this suit, but carpe diem.&quot They both march up to the tiger, faces carefully hidden. Their masks of choice were a dark blue glim masquerade mask (with a hard to detect pattern of a black sun sundered by white in the center) for Ixc, and a black metal masquerade mask with what could be a wyrm or snake running from ear to ear across the eyeholes for Nora. They both beam at the tiger, their half-covered faces the picture of innocence.

&quotWell, red is a gorgeous color, and quite seasonal!&quot Six grins, crimson eyes shimmering in the lamplight. &quotAnd I believe you’re right: ‘Cephalopod’! That was the word! It was hard enough to figure out his name, so I thank you for helping me get his species right.&quot The octopus-like creature settles down contentedly, sipping their sherry.

edited by Six Handed Merchant on 12/17/2019

August (Honeyaddict) walked around the party, spotting a lot of familiar and less familiar faces. He sees lady Byron, who is already occupied with the six handed Merchant and decides to walk over to the pair of redheads. &quotGood evening to you two, Sapho, you’re stunning as always and si… eh, mis… eh yes, I believe we haven’t met yet?&quot He says turning to the cephalopod-hatted redhead. &quotI’m Honeyaddict, or August, whichever you prefer, and might you be the Six Handed Merchant? I’ve heard rumours of you in the more wild circles of the Bohemians.&quot He said with a soft laugh.

&quotwell&quot says the old man waking from a wine induced stupor, &quotmissed them again, well my offer of a chat and a dance is still open if you don’t mind my slow responses, I am somewhat drunk&quot (and in a most likely different time zone from you delicious friends, but never mind that)
edited by the old man on 12/17/2019

&quotLa! You do not recognize me behind this mask? Has Ondine made so little impression on you? Well, I shall have to try harder tonight.&quot

The Professor, meanwhile, bows smilingly to Miss Atwood. (Taking her hand seems, at the moment, rather rude.) &quotIt is wonderful to see you here tonight. And that is a lovely mask,&quot he adds with a pointed glance at the tiger, &quotbut I suspect you would like your hands for other things. Perhaps you would like to try one of those?&quot He sends her off toward the collection of Visager masks which he had earlier mentioned to the old man.

A guest or two later, he spots a dark-masked couple trying to ingratiate themselves with the tigress. He walks over and takes their hands in turn. &quotBonsoir!&quot he says. &quotI am Professor Kan. Welcome to my home.&quot

5:15 There is a gentle hiss in the foyer. A society matron, newly arrived, looks up to see the glowing, sinuous form of Ithuriel nestled in the tree-column’s branches. He sways his head toward her. She faints.

The butler, in a gilded medico della peste, provides salts.

(Do correct me if I am wrong on what theriel’s species is)
Dirae Erinyes comes over to the tree, clapping their hands in delight. &quotAnother hound, how capital!&quot
A wry smile cross Evensong’s lips. &quotI guess we know who wasn’t invited.&quot
&quotOh, I’m sure the Embassy is having the own ball. Not out of spite what so ever. You know, if we had enough hounds we could have have our own hunt in the quarter. . .&quot

[quote=Siankan]5:15 There is a gentle hiss in the foyer. A society matron, newly arrived, looks up to see the glowing, sinuous form of Ithuriel nestled in the tree-column’s branches. He sways his head toward her. She faints.

The butler, in a gilded medico della peste, provides salts.[/quote]
&quotsnakes snakes there’s a reason I don’t have honey and its to stay away from the snakes&quot the old man brings out his hunting rifle &quotif it comes within five feet of me I shoot the d–m thing

Low thunder rumbles from the divan. A slender man appears at the old one’s side. Half of his mask is a young face, half is old; both halves are smiling. &quotExcuse me, sir. I am afraid that firearms are not allowed in the building this evening. If you will allow me, I will place it somewhere safe. We will return it to you when you leave.&quot He gently, but firmly, puts one hand on the stock, one on the barrel.
edited by Siankan on 12/17/2019

[quote=Siankan]
Low thunder rumbles from the divan. A slender man appears at the old one’s side. Half of his mask is a young face, half is old; both halves are smiling. &quotExcuse me, sir. I am afraid that firearms are not allowed in the building this evening. If you will allow me, I will place it somewhere safe. We will return it to you when you leave.&quot He gently, but firmly, puts one hand on the stock, one on the barrel.
edited by Siankan on 12/17/2019[/quote]
the old man smiles wryly &quotof course where are my manners,&quot he says depositing an almost comic amount of weapons, one including a set of song lyrics &quotjust please make sure that thing&quot almost spitting out the word &quotdoesn’t come any closer to me&quot he said almost shuddering.
edited by the old man on 12/17/2019

Seeing the quantity of weapons, he motions for other servants to assist. Then he gently leads the old man back into the main room.

Sian, politely, notices nothing.

The woman in the Strange-Shore frock looks up at the snake. &quotMy word, Professor,&quot she says to Siankan, &quotwhere did you obtain that beauty? Though I much prefer cats to snakes, myself.&quot

She continued, &quotActually, I have my own Hound, but he keeps to himself, most of the time. Because of all the cats, little and big.&quot
edited by cathyr19355 on 12/18/2019
edited by cathyr19355 on 12/18/2019

&quotOh, hello! Splendid that you could make it tonight. As for your question, Professor Drake will be the best to answer that, once he arrives. I can say, however, that he’s not your garden variety.&quot Sotto voce he added, &quotNor your mirror-garden variety. Shroud?&quot

the old man standing as far away from the snake as possible, takes some broken glasses out of his pocket and looks into them a sad smile on his lips, there’s a faint cosmogone glow from some of the remaining shards.

&quotOh, hello! Splendid that you could make it tonight. As for your question, Professor Drake will be the best to answer that, once he arrives. I can say, however, that he’s not your garden variety.&quot Sotto voce he added, &quotNor your mirror-garden variety. Shroud?&quot[/quote]
&quotDrake? That’s not a name I’ve heard in a long time.&quot Dirae Erinyes remarks. &quotGood to know he is keeping busy. Beast breeding is an honest trade.&quot