The Cintamani Ball: An Invitation (or a Warning)

It has begun! I just posted the Ball topic: https://community.failbettergames.com/topic27728-the-cintamani-ball.aspx

(Sorry for the bald URLs. Creating a link doesn’t seem to be cooperating for me this morning, and I’m too low on sleep to figure out what I’ve done wrong.)

I still have 45 papers to go before noon tomorrow (!!), but I’ll try to pop in and welcome guests as they arrive. Don’t be offended if it’s just a handshake.

Ooh! Six will be there, especially now that they have picked out their hat! :)

Lord Gazter will of course be attending the Cintamani Ball. His attire for the evening will be a sterling, well tailored, and crisp irigo suit with a black and white checkered tie, and his visage will be covered by a full bat mask embellished with designs of apocyan roses and bees painted over its surface.

(Apologies for not responding sooner. IRL has been challenging as of late. I’d be happy to attend I just need to get my character’s backstory and appearance set up. I haven’t gotten the chance to actually sit down and work on that until now. I am also fairly new to forum rping so forgive me if I do not use the proper symbols for types of speaking. (I.E: In character, out of character, narration, in character thoughts, etc.) I will try to learn with time. With that said… does a reply to this forum count as the introductory post?)

Oh, don’t worry about that; we’re delighted to have you!

If you want to work out your character details before jumping into the ball, that’s fine. On the other hand, sometimes it can be fun to work things out on the fly, responding to other characters or situations as the need arises. I often find that’s a good way to round a character out. If that’s the case, all you really need is a mask.

When you’re ready, go ahead and make your first post on the main thread. Dancing has already begun, but Odetteah wouldn’t be the only one coming in late. (Does she like to make a dramatic entrance? Was she held up by some problem en route? Was she held up by a very past-tense problem en route? Those questions are good kindling for character ideas.) Alternatively, you could assume that you came in with the crowds earlier, and just haven’t interacted with any of the other PCs yet. Professor Kan didn’t get a chance to greet everyone personally, so that’s a perfectly reasonable choice to make.

I might also drop by for a quick, gracious visit, dear Professor Kan. As dear miss Odetteah, my character’s backstory, looks and mannerisms are still in the making, being in the Neath for just a couple of months (and with my research into the Correspondence having taken much of my recent time), so once I feel ready and have chosen my mask, I may visit the ball for a little RP.

marvellous to hear my good friend, and do drop by (I don’t feel anyone will mind if your backstory is still in the making)

Oh and another question my dear professor… are pets allowed in? I was thinking of bringing my Blemmigan Tourist along, he so loves parties!

I do believe pets are allowed, if the snake in the side room is anything to tell by that, not weapons though. Please do come after all what better place to make a backstory.

By all means, bring your friend. He’s not the only Blemmigan in attendance. Just… don’t call him a pet. That won’t go over well.

My apologies, I hope my ignorance of proper etiquette will not inconvenience your esteemed guests (or indeed my Blemmigan friend!)

We’ve got enough people at the ball now that I thought it would be helpful to keep a sort of directory of ball attendees. I’ll try to keep it updated.

Prof. Sian Kan (host): foil flame mask, golden apple pin

Ondine: porcelain Venetian mask with violant feathers, deep blue gown, bombazine rosette

Balkis: scarlet domino
  • Last Seen: Citrinitas Hall, watching the proceedings from her dais

the old man: devil mask, bandages

August: amber half-mask [editor’s note: Phantom of the Opera style? or domino?]

Cathy Raymond: silk irrigo half-mask [editor’s note: as above], strange shore frock, violant feathers

Six Handed Merchant: holly mask and dress, octopus hat

Oscar, alias Oliver: Feast of the Rose mask
    - Last Seen: Nigredo Room, playing cards with Lord Gazter, Truffle, and Mr. Black

Lord Gazter: Visager bat mask, irrigo suit, black-and-white checked tie
  • Last Seen: Nigredo Room, playing cards with Oscar, Truffle, and Mr. Black
    silent and unnamed companion: plain domino

Lady Sapho Byron: black floral lace mask, forest green gown, thin white belt
  • Last Seen: Citrinitas Hall, dancing with the Six-Handed Merchant

Miss Rosamund Atwood: Visager lotus mask, burgundy gown

Ixc: blue glim mask with broken sun motif
    Nora Harper: black metal mask with serpent motif

Dirae Erinyes: mask of ugly women with rostygold snakes, plain black suit
    Evensong: butterfly-wings mask, Parabola-linen dress

unnamed young man: half-old, half-young mask

Captain Hieronymus Drake: metal mask of an angry old man, bombazine frock coat, royal blue feather mantle, silver swallow brooch

Dione of Argos: electric grey mask, ombre whisper-silk chiton, apocyan wrap, silver laurel crown

Iris Sims: attar mask, red velvet gown

• Last Seen: Albedo Room, seeking refreshments and talking with Lady Byron and Cathy [*]

Greg M: boringly undescribed mask

Jolanda Swan: enamel swan domino, white feathered cloak

Thanos Black: kintsugi porcelain mask, black suit, jade bat pin

• Last Seen: Nigredo Room, playing cards with Lord Gazter, Oscar, and Truffle
    Truffle: Visager lion mask
  • Last Seen: Nigredo Room, playing cards with Lord Gazter, Oscar, and Mr. Black

Maxwell Bradford: horned skull mask, fur cape, black-and-silver suit
  • Last Seen: Citrinitas Hall, sharing a toast with Prof. Kan [*]
    Miss Tanith Wrymwood: stained glass mask, gold crown, simple white gown
  • Last Seen: Citrinitas Hall, rescuing Miss Buntingford from her mother

Odetteah Fairbridge: scarlet domino with floral patterns, peligin corset, violant skirt, black boots and lace gloves, velvet wrap

Aranea Mindfang, Marchioness of Drogheda: spider mask

the old man’s wife: unknown

Preacher Tzara: black-and-white mask, clerical garb

Apologies if I missed anyone. Let me know, and I’ll fix posthaste.
edited by Siankan on 1/8/2020

I just found out today that my wife has thyroid cancer, so I’m afraid i won’t be around for the rest of the ball, or for much else for a little while.

Thank you all for the wonderful stories so far, and I look forward to coming back when I have the space in my life to do so.

[quote=Six Handed Merchant]I just found out today that my wife has thyroid cancer, so I’m afraid i won’t be around for the rest of the ball, or for much else for a little while.

Thank you all for the wonderful stories so far, and I look forward to coming back when I have the space in my life to do so.[/quote]

Oh. Dear Six, what can one say? Our prayers and songs are with her. I sincerely hope she recovers soon and powers trough that. Send her our salutes and hopes! Here’s to a quick recovery! Keep us postes on that and,well, good luck-no, I wish you success in the ongoing times. Sincerely hugging you and wishing you well from this part of the World, Tzara.

[quote=Six Handed Merchant]I just found out today that my wife has thyroid cancer, so I’m afraid i won’t be around for the rest of the ball, or for much else for a little while.

Thank you all for the wonderful stories so far, and I look forward to coming back when I have the space in my life to do so.[/quote]
of course give her our best wishes.