The Castles.

I’m wondering about the castles which can be seen. The ones that are ruined, and are found at ports that used to be. On the Isle of Cats, there is one, but it is ruined, too. There is one near the Isle of Cats, called Castle Clare. In the Crying Heights, there is Port Addey. There also appears to be one at the northeast corner of Fallen London. What do you think, or know?

If I recall, Castle Clare is actually between the Grand Geode and the Iron Republic, and I suspect it’s only appeared close to the Isle of Cats on your map. Other abandoned ports/castles include the port on the western coast of the map near the Dawn Machine.[li]

Thanks for the location correction, but the port near the Dawn Machine has no castle.

It’s not a real port, just a landmark - Runeshmi Port iirc. Along the west map border.

Also, I’m pretty sure the &quotcastle&quot in London itself is one of the tents of Mrs Plenty’s Carnival.
edited by Optimatum on 2/6/2017

Since both are located in England I think it would be a good easter egg or reference to add a ruinous castle where people are rumoured to practice strange magics. It wouldn’t have a port but if accessed with the sub one could find a derelict locomotive that could be accessed to gain a cool engine.

Anyway the castle would be reference to Harry Potter’s Hogwarts

Nah, there’s already something in FL…

Failbetter avoids pop culture references. There’s only one across their games, to my knowledge.

Mind telling us what that pop culture reference is?

Possibly the Batman one? (One Vake snippet makes fun of Batman).

What is the Vake?

They say it’s not a monster at all. It’s a man who dresses up as a bat. To, ah, prowl the city by night. But that would just be stupid.
(A man who dresses up as a bat? Who ever heard of such a thing?)

IIRC this was confirmed by Alexis a while ago.
edited by The Master on 2/7/2017

There’s the Hand of Glory. Here’s its flavor text. It is possible that someone plucked an old love from the grave to send you this. More likely they bought it at Hangman’s Arch. Possibly it means they value you more than their own right hand. It’s hard to be certain.
An admirer might send you this at the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.

[quote=GoingFTL]There’s the Hand of Glory. Here’s its flavor text. It is possible that someone plucked an old love from the grave to send you this. More likely they bought it at Hangman’s Arch. Possibly it means they value you more than their own right hand. It’s hard to be certain.
An admirer might send you this at the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.[/quote]

What’s the pop culture reference here? (If that’s what you’re referring to.) This sounds like something I should read/watch…

[quote=The Master]
What is the Vake?[/quote]

I didn’t know this, thanks. I always assumed the Vake was some kind of reference to Springheeled Jack.

[quote=a shadowy spider][quote=GoingFTL]There’s the Hand of Glory. Here’s its flavor text. It is possible that someone plucked an old love from the grave to send you this. More likely they bought it at Hangman’s Arch. Possibly it means they value you more than their own right hand. It’s hard to be certain.
An admirer might send you this at the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.[/quote]

What’s the pop culture reference here? (If that’s what you’re referring to.) This sounds like something I should read/watch…

[quote=The Master]
What is the Vake?[/quote]

I didn’t know this, thanks. I always assumed the Vake was some kind of reference to Springheeled Jack.[/quote]

More can be read on The Fifth City wiki, but beware! It’s only lore so ONLY spoilers!