The Campaigner, the Clay Men, and the Rubberies

A while back, Shylarah posted this:

Well, here we go. The Campaigner is getting support from London’s Rubbery Men and Clay Quarters. There are Rubbery Men working for her campaign headquarters. When an anarchist advances threateningly on the Campaigner:

[quote=]An awkwardly dressed Rubbery Man scurries before the Campaigner, pathetically waving the Revolutionary away.

The Campaigner puts her hand on its shoulder and shakes her head. &quotThank you, Jeremy. But I can handle this.&quot[/quote]
That’s what you call dedication. Presumably the Campaigner has done good work for the Rubberies in the past in order to earn such support. They probably expect nothing good from Feducci, who preaches that everyone is out for themselves (that philosophy of government would do the Rubberies so much good, wouldn’t it?), or the Detective’s closeness to the very prejudiced Constables.

The Campaigner has also certainly done things for the Clay Men, as:

So a vote for the Campaigner is a vote for greater Rubbery and Clay rights, as well as a Mayor who is very sympathetic to the respective plights of both groups.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/4/2017

I don’t think that Rubbery is actually lost.

He’s not lost; he is, in fact, Jeremy.

That is some revolutionary dedication.

A VOTE FOR THE DTC IS A VOTE FOR JEREMY AS VICE-MAYOR

It is worth pointing out that she knows Jeremy’s name. He’s not just a Rubbery Man to her. That indicates that 1) they’re friends or 2) they just met but she got to know him. She see’s Rubberies as people.

Actually, if what I know of Rubberies is correct, she probably named him.

Actually, if what I know of Rubberies is correct, she probably named him.[/quote]
Or helped him choose/translate an appropriate English name.

From the Biblical Jeremiah, the “Burbling Prophet”.

Next snippet reveals Jeremy was the mastermind behind the Dauntless Temperance Campaign, all along.

How could anyone vote against someone who loves Rubberies? What heart could not be moved by writhing face tentacles? The DTC must win in a landslide … unless London is filled with individuals who have maxed out their Heartless.

Even as a rather ardent supporter of the detective, I have to say the support from the rubbery men and claymen are rather convincing. Both groups are near and dear to me, I even grinded a fluke core.

I can’t imagine the DTC would approve of that. Nor would anyone with a sense of propriety. Still, two consenting… er… entities, I suppose, none of my business.

I can’t imagine the DTC would approve of that. Nor would anyone with a sense of propriety. Still, two consenting… er… entities, I suppose, none of my business.[/quote]
It involved many a trips into the cave of nadir, many books, and five fecund amber, and suffice to say I discovered that if say reveal a rubbery significant other its a direct trip to Venderblight.

It seems very possible to me that if the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner wins, then Jeremy the Rubbery Man could become her assistant Mayor, or assistant to the Mayor, or Mayor’s assistant (I can’t remember the exact title). You know, take over the role that Sister Lydia played for Jenny - aide, consigliere, enforcer. Which would probably mean seeing him on Mutton Island and getting him at the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/5/2017

I’ve only known Jeremy for a day and a half but now there’s no public office I wouldn’t elect him to.

btw, did anyone else find it very striking how…silent the Tomb Colonists have been this election? They went wild for the Contrarian last year. One would think they’d like all the violence and excitement around Feducci…but they seem to be keeping entirely to themselves. It makes a real contrast with the Rubberies and the Clay Men, who didn’t participate in last year’s election.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/9/2017

[quote=Anne Auclair]A while back, Shylarah posted this:

Well, here we go. The Campaigner is getting support from London’s Rubbery Men and Clay Quarters. There are Rubbery Men working for her campaign headquarters. When an anarchist advances threateningly on the Campaigner:

[quote=]An awkwardly dressed Rubbery Man scurries before the Campaigner, pathetically waving the Revolutionary away.

The Campaigner puts her hand on its shoulder and shakes her head. &quotThank you, Jeremy. But I can handle this.&quot[/quote]
That’s what you call dedication. Presumably the Campaigner has done good work for the Rubberies in the past in order to earn such support. They probably expect nothing good from Feducci, who preaches that everyone is out for themselves (that philosophy of government would do the Rubberies so much good, wouldn’t it?), or the Detective’s closeness to the very prejudiced Constables.

The Campaigner has also certainly done things for the Clay Men, as:

So a vote for the Campaigner is a vote for greater Rubbery and Clay rights, as well as a Mayor who is very sympathetic to the respective plights of both groups.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/4/2017[/quote]

If the campaigner doesn’t make it this year, I do so hope she runs again the next.