The Calendar Council

Between the Photographer, last Christmas, the Underground Leagues and the Forgotten Quarter, we’re seeing more and more of the Calendar Council. So, just who is the Calendar Council? What are they, that all our Constables demand them? The Contrarian suggests that they are a series of revolutionary cells, each under a different leader and operating under a different ethos - presumably, there are twelve such cells, though given that certain Neathy anarchists are as keen to abolish the tyranny of months as much as those of money or Masters, we can’t take too much for granted.

So, who appointed these leaders and convened this council, if anyone? What shared goal do these leaders share - or else, who do they bother joining council at all? To what degree can we assume they follow the form of Chesterton’s Council of Days - is every cop a criminal, and all the sinners saints? We learn a little of the Months… the Cheery Man describes December as a rival of the underworld, and a right wrong’un. March seems a bloodthirsty type - compared unfavourably to April and September, though riots in Watchmaker’s are known as &quotApril Riots.&quot And February… she is intimately involved with the revolutionaries’ Great Work, with the complexities of light, with forgetfulness and lacre and loss. And, for whatever reason, she chooses to patronise the Game of Knife and Candle - perhaps she simply likes to see Mr Iron’s favoured sliced up like so much stone ham?

I haven’t taken every Revolutionary step that can be taken - for instance, I threw my lots in with Benthic and with the Urchins last Christmas - and not every month lends itself to ferreting through the Wicked Book - looking at you, March and May. Does anyone know anything else about this sinister subset of the dynamite faction? Just what do they have in mind for the future of the Neath?

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]presumably, there are twelve such cells, though given that certain Neathy anarchists are as keen to abolish the tyranny of months as much as those of money or Masters, we can’t take too much for granted.[/quote]I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that certain months are blank decoy positions made to mislead the Constables.

The Revolutionaries are rather a ragtag group. I can’t tell whose cell I should be joining, infiltrating or opposing. The Cheery Man warned me against December, so definitely not him! Nor any of the other frighteningly violent &quotI would rather have him as a friend than risk him as an enemy&quot types (even if that describes my character, ha).

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]So, who appointed these leaders and convened this council, if anyone?[/quote]&quotAppointed&quot isn’t how I envision it. I imagine they strong-armed their way to the top, and they’re the ones intimidating, knowledgeable, bold, and/or compelling enough to stay at the top. If at least one of the Council isn’t keen on implementing the Device, I want to join that person. Or be that person. Either works for me.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Just what do they have in mind for the future of the Neath?[/quote]They’re gonna blow this joint sky high!

[spoiler]After a fashion. At first, I thought the Device was a tool for mass incineration, but it’s much more than that. It’s incredible light, heat, and flame. If we can’t go to the sun, then why not bring the sun to us? Besides, what is it but a great big ball of flaming gas which gives off painfully bright light? (It’s more, but let’s ignore that for a moment.)

This is how I currently view it: a clever chain of giant lenses routed from the Mountain of Light to Fallen London. Not along the ground or in the sea (though it’s possible, especially if you have observatories and zubmarines), but up in the air on dirigibles. If you get the angles aligned properly, you can direct and intensify the heart of the Mountain to the city. The silk knots tied along the wooden gantries of the Flit will be the first inferno. It’ll easily spread to the rest of the city as the flaming planks collapse. It’s difficult to expel a fire that starts above rather than below – more so if you’re temporarily blinded by the blazing white light issuing forth from the Device. Then when everyone’s preoccupied with that, I suppose the Calendar Council or their special operatives will move to the Masters’ spires and assassinate them. Their hatred of the Masters is what unites them, yeah? Kind of…jerky…but there ya have it.[/spoiler]

As the Affluent Photographer put it, &quotWe cannot allow the Masters to hold our reins any longer. There’s no need to think about what happens after - we’ll sort ourselves out, no doubt.&quot

No doubt…

This isn’t my ideal revolution. I’m more of the &quotlet’s create free schools and hospitals, give women voting rights, and print enlightening pamphlets&quot sort of revolutionary campaigner. My profession is literally the Campaigner because of this, though I chose the Church side for it because some of the Revolutionaries give me the heebie jeebies.

Whereas I’m the kind of revolutionary willing to sign on for some judiciously targeted assassinations, but not so much for massive chaotic infernos wracking up untold collateral damage. I’m a Nemesis ambitioner with a conscience, so my whole character is about walking the line of choosing who deserves to die. And I’m starting to suspect I may have been having my strings pulled by revolutionaries since before I ever set foot in the Neath, so I’m going to be very, very careful about throwing my lot in with any of them until I learn more about this Gloriana and Cumberbold.

From what I can tell, there are 12 cells, and making a bit of a guess, each cell is opposed to a particular master. 12 months, 12 masters (excluding Mr Sacks and Mr Chimes, but I have my own theories about their natures). February is traditionally Mr Iron’s opponent, which leads me to believe that the other months might have it out for other Masters. As for the nature of The Device, I think the light and lenses involved with it are a little more complex than just the light from The Mountain. That said, the light from The Mountain is very much involved, but otherwise, I’m not sure what the device will do.

I say, that’s an idea - if that’s so, I wonder what the Months that oppose the other Masters are like. March targets a poet - one of Mr Pages’? But, not much to go on there.

As for the Device, well, if I recall correctly, the Radical Factotum all but says it’s a bomb of some sort… perhaps the Dawn Machine of rumour? Something to flood the Neath with all the light it has lost and more - the sunlight smuggled and sought, the moonlight that mazes the mind, and shades we cannot even describe? Certain Fate-locked content suggests that such colours have unusual effects when exposed to, say, lacre. What dreadful day might a sunrise in such tones bring?

Well, if the brief content involving coffee is any indicator, March is the self-proclaimed opponent of Mr Wines. That would lend some weight to the idea.

If no one minds, I think this thread deserves to be retrieved from the Boatsman for a bit.

More knowledge and more hints about the Calendar Council have since been unearthed. Further, the Great Work, the Dawn Machine, and the Liberation of Night have been confirmed to be aspects of one theme; the Great Work being the concept, the Dawn Machine being the tool, and the Liberation of Night the ideological goal.

We know now that the Liberation of Night is the extinguishing of all Light in the Neath, and not as Zeedee (and initially I as well) presumed, an inundation of the Neath in Light. But how?

NB: spoilered below is a wall of text.

[spoiler]The Dawn Machine. A device assembled from luciferous items and those that amplify Light. It would appear that such a machine would be best suited for creating light, not snuffing it. But it turns out that apparently we’re all fools to believe that. How does it work? From the description of certain Destinies, it seems to have &quotbroken&quot Light in the Neath. Fire still burns, but gives off no light. Maybe the Dawn Machine created such a ridiculously intense light as to have created a sort of &quotstack overflow&quot error in the fabric of reality? I know I’m stretching it a bit here, but how else would a machine that is seemingly used to create light result in the effects we have dreamed?

Colours seem to be involved. Colours of course being light, split up in different wavelengths. I am led to believe that the Neath holds to different sets of visible colour spectra, and accordingly, perhaps two different sets of light. Our mundane set being &quotwhite light&quot, broken up into red, orange, yellow, blue, green, blue, indigo, violet, as well as some errata invisible to the human eye.But what of irrigo, apocyan, cosmogone and violant? Colours that appear to have certain metaphysical qualities to them - irrigo being the colour of forgetfulness, and apocyan perhaps being that of memory. Do these colours leave the prism originating from another light? Is that light &quotwhite&quot as our mundane light is, or is it perhaps a succulent and almost obscene &quotpseudo-green&quot like the Memories of Light? I think that the Gleam destiny among the Liberation of Night shows that these metaphysical colours are not affected by the Liberation of Night. It explains why February is so interested in a certain place painted in irrigo. But not to digress from the question that comes to mind here - where do these colours come from, if not from the Sun?

Speaking of February: she appears to be the mastermind behind the Liberation of Night, and perhaps the most uncompromising and implacable among all anarchists. I doubt there’s much of Goldman, of Stirner, of Rand, or of Bakunin in her ideology, although she is perhaps the culmination of all individualist anarchism that Stirner never could have dreamed of. Unabashedly anomist, she’s not content to abolish government or justice - she plans on destroying the very origin of natural law, which she apparently has isolated to lie, oddly enough, in Light. But Light being what it is - exuded by stars - and stars being what they are - something I am not Fated to say - she may have a point.

As a friend of mine said: &quotGirl has ambitions.&quot Once London is doused in Night, it’ll be time to emancipate the Surface from the Light. And perhaps, down a Long Road, the assassination of all the stars in the night sky might bring anarchy and anomy to the totality of the universe.

Staying with opposition to the Sun, but leaving behind the Liberation of Night: December, the masked member of the Calendar Council (that we know of). Although I do not recall where exactly, I could swear that somewhere I saw the Mountain and the secret to eternal life as being described as &quotthe cruel experiment of the Sun&quot. December, curiously, doesn’t so much care about whether you bring the secret of eternal life to all, or whether you destroy it. He merely opposes it falling into the hand of a chosen few. Could this be an ideological opposition? If you dreamed of destroying the mountain and preserving life as it is, he tells you that you will be the &quotonly truly free beings in the cosmos&quot.

If the mortals are free, are the immortals not? What does this mean regarding the immortality of souls?

Notably, December is also much more affable than the Cheery Man made him out to be. When I first heard about him, I assumed he’d be an independent kingpin crime lord, affiliated with the Calendar Council as a means to cash in on the revolutionary potential for crime. But he seems to be an actually decent sort, though obviously not a smidgeon less violent than the rumours say.

Freedom seems to be what joins the Calendar Council. February seeks the very platonic ideal of freedom: to be free from everything, the end of all law and all &quotranking&quot - no Gods, no Masters, no Laws, no Light. December seeks freedom from the threat of immortality - perhaps, in a slightly Gnostic interpretation, the idea of being forever bound to a material existence, a sort of hylic prison.

A little bit of March has been seen before - bringing Darkdrop Coffee to the citizens of London, at a discount price and snubbing any of Mr. Wines trade monopolies and restrictions. March could very well be a sort of market liberal (or, may God have mercy on us all, an anarcho-capitalist) who opposes the Masters and the Bazaars on an economic level, being a bit of a mercantile trickster. But then again, his ambitions could very well be bigger, and different, and simply not yet fully understood by me.[/spoiler]

I do admit the flaw of being a relatively recent arrival to the Neath, having missed out on no doubt many potential prior encounters with the Council, still not eligible for others, and lacking perspective compared to bigger pictures out of my sight. But here are my musings on the Calendar Council, delicious and most prized friends, and I hope they please and vex you.

[li]

Sterling work, Mr Wells, sterling work! I’ll sleep on your insights and contribute more tomorrow, but that’s given us all a lot to think about, I think.

Oooh, I like this! gnaws on delicious theories I’m afraid I’m not terribly good at contributing to such things, I have a memory like a sieve, which doesn’t help in piecing mysteries together, but I will read and watch this discussion with enthusiasm! The Calendar Council is one of the 'Neathy things I’m very intrigued by.

Well, I forget where, but I personally remember Neath light being reffered to as “the invisible spectrum”. This has lead me to believe that while it may have a hue, or be coloured individually, together, the Neathy colours produce “anti-light”, an anti-energy similar to anti-matter. A sort of equal and opposite reaction. My theory on the Dawn Machine is that it is a collection of stored sources of Neathy light-one of each colour. It’s effect, releasing all the colours at once, would be to cancel traditional light out, in some reaction similar too (but hopefully less violent than) matter anihilation.

As to how this will defeat the Masters: I am hopeful on this front. The Masters exist to serve the Bazaar, which, according to all data I’ve found, is some form of sun diety (or the sun itself) and some form of love deity. This extinguishment of light, of the sun, of the stars, would certainly separate the Master’s from their power source. There would be no need to assassinate them. They would be completely ineffectual.

As for my thoughts-I am of a split mind. While I detest the masters, tire of their cruel manipulations of the populace, and their ignorance towards the plight of the common man, the liberation of night is NOT a truly freeing act. Surely, the revolutionaries, prepared for the eventuality of the extinguishment of all light in the Neath, would have contingency plans to amass power?

So is it correct that February, December, and March are the only members that have been mentioned in any detail so far? Aww. But I have to collect them all! That is, um, I would like to find out more about each one. Heh.

Edit: Drat. It appears we don’t have a strikethrough tag?
edited by Inky Petrel on 12/10/2013

[quote=DukeLawliet]
As to how this will defeat the Masters: I am hopeful on this front. The Masters exist to serve the Bazaar, which, according to all data I’ve found, is some form of sun diety (or the sun itself) and some form of love deity. This extinguishment of light, of the sun, of the stars, would certainly separate the Master’s from their power source. There would be no need to assassinate them. They would be completely ineffectual. [/quote]
While it’s true that the Masters serve the Bazaar, I don’t think it’s the purpose of their existence. There is some pretty complicated lore stuff here that I don’t quite understand, but there is certainly some promise involved. I think the Masters &quotmet&quot the Bazaar at some point, were promised that &quotAll shall be well&quot, and serve it just because they will get rewarded for it/it’s convenient for them/it gives them power or protection. In one of the Liberation of Night destinies Mr Pages makes it’s last stand AFTER the device gets activated, and Player Character still needs to kill it. So, as I’ve said, I think that the Masters are separate from the Bazaar, and just decided to travel together (although the Fate-locked destiny from &quota Conversation on the Road&quot suggests that it is very important for the Masters to stay with the Bazaar - maybe because they are some sort of a dying species?).

[quote=DukeLawliet]the Neathy colours produce &quotanti-light&quot, an anti-energy similar to anti-matter. A sort of equal and opposite reaction. My theory on the Dawn Machine is that it is a collection of stored sources of Neathy light-one of each colour. It’s effect, releasing all the colours at once, would be to cancel traditional light out, in some reaction similar too (but hopefully less violent than) matter anihilation.[/quote]I’m not sure I buy this: the apocyan of a Crooked-Cross’s crucifix and the peligin of a Monster-Hunter’s eyes are visible under ordinary London light – dim but present, and largely belonging to our customary spectrum. So a degree of co-existence is possible. I suspect the special lights of the Neath are suppressed by starlight, though; that would explain their absence from the surface, and fits with the connection between stars and Judgements and what is permitted to exist.

edited by Flyte on 12/10/2013

[quote=DukeLawliet]
As to how this will defeat the Masters: I am hopeful on this front. The Masters exist to serve the Bazaar, which, according to all data I’ve found, is some form of sun diety (or the sun itself) and some form of love deity. This extinguishment of light, of the sun, of the stars, would certainly separate the Master’s from their power source. There would be no need to assassinate them. They would be completely ineffectual.[/quote]

Personally I believe that the Dawn Machine is more of a metaphysical tool than a weapon against the Masters. As we know from the Iron Republic, it is apparently possible to create spaces bereft of natural law, and February seems to be simply working towards the end of making all of the Neath (then the Surface, then all the cosmos) into such a lawless zone. So that seems to be the primary purpose of the Dawn Machine.

As for how the Masters will be defeated…the Liberation of Night we dreamed of was certainly nothing for the faint of heart. Darkness, and only screams. February has been said to have a veritable army of fiercely loyal anarchists under her command, and it seems that they - equipped with irrigo goggles - could easily purge London of all constables, soldiers, neddy men and of course everyone caught inbetween or opposed to the liberation. Left without their forces…we’ve dreamed that Mr Pages could apparently be slain by a competent Londoner, and the Calendar Council have a reputation for savagery and martial prowess (February especially, and what not with her apparently having drained a Master of a liquid souvenir).

An interesting tidbit: selling a Memory of Light to the Bazaar yields the statement that the obscene, rotting light we can remember is &quotthe light of Parabola&quot. It would make sense for the alternate spectrum of Light to be from another world entangled with ours, but I suppose someone else might lead the investigation there. I am not so much educated on the matters behind mirrors. Plus, the Finger-Kings give me the creeps.
[li]
edited by Nathanael S. Wells on 12/10/2013

I got the impression from the Hallowmas event that December was pretty darned keen on blowing up the Mountain and bringing death back to the Neath. How that ties in to the Liberation of Night is less clear - are the Calendar Council all working on completely separate schemes? In which case, why are they a council?

I myself believe that they all share a common, general interest - namely the preservation or achievement of freedom - and are merely working on different projects, aimed at different angles of that theme. February seeks freedom from rule and laws, December seeks freedom from immortality/the material world/the machinations of the Sun? and March could maybe seek freedom from the Masters.

Of course, with 3/12 and only one of them really shed light on (heh), it’s currently difficult to say anything about the Calendar Councils common goals and themes with certainty.

Has there been any more information about other Council members, even if only sparingly or as an aside?

As an aside, I hope we get a novel out of this incredible lore someday.

[quote=Nathanael S. Wells]Has there been any more information about other Council members, even if only sparingly or as an aside?[/quote]Very little, so far as I’ve seen, but there’s a brief reference to April and September in the Affluent Photographer content:You’ve heard of the Calendar Council? Cells of revolutionaries, up to no good. Especially March - not a patch on April or September, one hears.That storyline also contains some information about March which I think supports your theory that the Council members have widely varying goals. Why is he smuggling in surface postcards? Why does he – or at least, his agent – care about the dwindling population or the remnants of Empire? Surely not because of the Liberation of Night.

Thanks for your posts, by the way. I enjoyed reading them.

If I were some secret organisation I would certainly make it seem like our council was a certain number of people while it in reality it was a whole different number.

So personally I’m not sure at all there are actually twelve.

[quote=Corran]If I were some secret organisation I would certainly make it seem like our council was a certain number of people while it in reality it was a whole different number.

So personally I’m not sure at all there are actually twelve.[/quote]

[li]
A certain number, perhaps.