The Boatmans Opponent

For personal character reasons, I have chosen to be the greatest chess master in the Neath. Whats the highest anyone has ground this stat?

Sixteen for me.

I’ve played him many times, in my search for the Name. He’s the very devil in chess, but even he won’t stop me from finding out the truth…

The highest I have found this stat is 24 ( Fallen London ) but I’m sure there are folks who have it higher and simply haven’t put it on their mantelpieces.
The “A Chequerboard Warrior” descriptor comes in at level 20.

I shall have to have a word with Mr Eaten when I finally manage to find him. He’s had me keeping the Boatman’s company for far too long now.

http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/William~Dawson~III

I’m at 20 I believe. I almost never reduce my wounds through other means, so I play chess with the Reaper quite often.

I have achieved level 24 and can confirm with certainty that there is at least one higher level. I will be returning to the shores of day once I reach 25, so unless that is the cap I will not be able to tell you with certainty,

Is there any reward, other then the knowledge that one can beat even death in chess, for pursuing this trait.
I have also made it my personal quest to reach the heights, or maybe depths, of this subtle craft. Currently I am considered a regular, greeted only with a silent nod, which is quite something when one considers the opponent at hand. My skill is proudly displayed in my scrapbook. Please let me know if I am but a fool who thinks himself and his skill great, for being proud of my not so humble effort to humble the Boatman.

I was the first to post the descriptor over on the Accomplishments thread, but I see I’ve been surpassed. Knife-and-Candle means putting the game on hold, unfortunately.

I have the same ambition, and am currently on level 31 of the boatman’s opponent, making me a riverside regular. I think the highest you can get is 40 but I am unsure

It is 40: A Monochromatic Myrmidon. Doesn’t go any higher than that.

My character regards the boatman as an old friend now. She often took the opportunity to slip through a mirror at the carnival to spend some time with him.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Bloody%20Nora
edited by Plynkes on 3/1/2018

I have Boatman’s Opponent at 27; it is on the Scrapbook section of my Profile now. This was partly because of my efforts to obtain an Impossible Theorem, and partly because I was ignorant of certain timing issues when I first sought to collect Sanguine Ribbons.
edited by cathyr19355 on 3/2/2018

[quote=Nigel Overstreet]The highest I have found this stat is 24 ( Fallen London ) but I’m sure there are folks who have it higher and simply haven’t put it on their mantelpieces.
The &quotA Chequerboard Warrior&quot descriptor comes in at level 20.[/quote]

And the descriptor is still &quotChequerboard Warrior&quot at 27.

Vermillion has 25 because he started to seek the Name and scars were the easiest for him to do in the least amount of time so the Boatman knows him REALLY well

Same with Leonard, he’s at 24 right now. Raised it to 10 on purpose last month to get the tattoo, and now he still has one more scar to go. Depending on how much more he’ll die after acquiring scars, maybe I should make it a project to raise it to 40 before going North.