The Ambitious Barrister

Thankyou both for your replies, they’re helpful. Digging around on wikis risks uncovering spoilers.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]Okay.

Clarification.

&quotA Person of Some Little Consequence&quot is the storyline that eventually allows you to achieve &quotA Person of Some Importance&quot.

Being a Person of Some Importance gives you new opportunities, but make the bazaar cures slightly less effective. You also lose the ability to receive invitation to Dante’s Grill. These two disadvantages are not of particular trouble.

Being a Person of Some Little Consequence doesn’t unlock OR lock you out of anything.
[/quote]

I know that now, but absolutely didn’t when the Barrister cards first came up, hence my initial caution.

As there are four slightly differently-named Barrister cards, I supposed that there might conceivably be four development branches, one for each major skill, that diverge early. And as the Barrister’s invitation can’t be accepted twice, I was wary as to which one to go for. I now know that there is only one development line.

But unless I checked ahead, which I try to avoid doing (but eventually cracked), it was somewhat mysterious what the Barrister was trying to get me to achieve, apart from balanced levelling in the four major skills.

I didn’t read through all the steps beyond the levelling very thoroughly, as I’d rather not know some things in advance. All I really wanted to find out from the wiki is what, if any, decisions in the POSLC/POSI development sequence implemented irreversible locks - it turns out that there is only the specialization, it’s at the end, and at the moment it doesn’t have a large number of knock-on effects apart from on patron/protege.

So I thought the list of clothing, property requirements and whatnot might all at some stage be required by the Barrister, and would thus take an age to progress. It’s a relief that I won’t have to invest in a largely-useless wardrobe of fine clothes.

That was actually the case in the past! You used to need good lodgings AND a townhouse, plus friends and wardrobes composed of second-best items. Then they changed it because it really killed the pacing with all the cards drawing and how expensive lodgings are.

I just bought 100 persuasion for 10 fate from the Barrister…now she is gone and my persuasion is still at 90 - (my 10 fate is gone ) …&quot I have refreshed&quot
What have I done wrong?

[quote=Mstraw]I just bought 100 persuasion for 10 fate from the Barrister…now she is gone and my persuasion is still at 90 - (my 10 fate is gone ) …&quot I have refreshed&quot
What have I done wrong?[/quote]

You didn’t buy a stat raise. You bought a stat check skip.

[quote=xKiv][quote=Mstraw]I just bought 100 persuasion for 10 fate from the Barrister…now she is gone and my persuasion is still at 90 - (my 10 fate is gone ) …&quot I have refreshed&quot

You didn’t buy a stat raise. You bought a stat check skip.[/quote]
And a unique quality! Don’t forget the unique quality.

[quote=xKiv][quote=Mstraw]I just bought 100 persuasion for 10 fate from the Barrister…now she is gone and my persuasion is still at 90 - (my 10 fate is gone ) …&quot I have refreshed&quot

You didn’t buy a stat raise. You bought a stat check skip.[/quote]

Thanks guys - I’m more confused now - I really should READ more and journal more of what I’m doing

So what is the stat check slip and the unique quality mean? Sorry I’m being dumb - 1st coffee…

[quote=Mstraw]Thanks guys - I’m more confused now - I really should READ more and journal more of what I’m doing

So what is the stat check slip and the unique quality mean? Sorry I’m being dumb - 1st coffee…[/quote]
You were at a point where you needed to have Persuasive 100 to take a stroll around Veilgarden.

As an alternative, the game offered you an option to pay 10 Fate to skip this requirement, which included the instruction text: &quotUse this option if you want to continue on this path now, but have a Persuasive below 100.&quot

So basically, you chose to pay 10 Fate to progress immediately, instead of first gaining 10 more points of Persuasive and then progressing normally.

[quote=dov][quote=Mstraw]Thanks guys - I’m more confused now - I really should READ more and journal more of what I’m doing

So what is the stat check slip and the unique quality mean? Sorry I’m being dumb - 1st coffee…[/quote]
You were at a point where you needed to have Persuasive 100 to take a stroll around Veilgarden.

As an alternative, the game offered you an option to pay 10 Fate to skip this requirement, which included the instruction text: &quotUse this option if you want to continue on this path now, but have a Persuasive below 100.&quot

So basically, you chose to pay 10 Fate to progress immediately, instead of first gaining 10 more points of Persuasive and then progressing normally.[/quote]

[quote=Mstraw][quote=dov][quote=Mstraw]Thanks guys - I’m more confused now - I really should READ more and journal more of what I’m doing

So basically, you chose to pay 10 Fate to progress immediately, instead of first gaining 10 more points of Persuasive and then progressing normally.[/quote][/quote]

Thank you!

The unique quality is just a little attribute on your character sheet that signifies you took the fate option. There’s no other way to gain that quality though, so it’s unique.

I’m curious now, what is that unique quality? Anyone have it on their mantlepiece?