The Ambitions [SPOILERS IN ABUNDANCE]

I once started the game looking for my Heart’s Desire, but found myself becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the storyline (also, I found the prospect of staking my soul in the game a little bit strange regarding the fact that I sold my soul long ago and do not plan to get it back). When I hit the content boundary, I decided to drink Lethean Tea and started my hunt for the Vake – and I have never regretted that decision.

What stroke me throughout the Bag a Legend storyline so far is the amount of information in there (especially about a certain lady of negotiable virtue) I would never have come upon would I be following a different Ambition – and I’m pretty sure that it’s just the same with Nemesis and Light Fingers.

So, this could be a place where followers of different Ambitions might satisfy their curiosity and exchange experiences (Comparative Ambitionology, if you would). Also, for anyone thinking about resetting their Ambition this would be a good place to decide whether it’s worth 50 Fate to do that – a weighty decision, as I know from experience!
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

[quote=Wieland Burandt]I once started the game looking for my Heart’s Desire, but found myself becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the storyline (also, I found the prospect of staking my soul in the game a little bit strange regarding the fact that I sold my soul long ago and do not plan to get it back). When I hit the content boundary, I decided to drink Lethean Tea and started my hunt for the Vake – and I have never regretted that decision.

What stroke me throughout the Bag a Legend storyline so far is the amount of information in there (especially about a certain cat owner, or one well-known lady of negotiable virtue) I would never have come upon would I be following a different Ambition – and I’m pretty sure that it’s just the same with Nemesis and Light Fingers.

So, this could be a place where followers of different Ambitions might satisfy their curiosity and exchange experiences (Comparative Ambitionology, if you would). Also, for anyone thinking about resetting their Ambition this would be a good place to decide whether it’s worth 50 Fate to do that – a weighty decision, as I know from experience![/quote]

This worries me a little bit, as I’m perusing the Heart’s Desire storyline myself. I’m still at the beginning, level 11, ad it seems interesting now… Hope it stays so :s

(The soul shouldn’t be much of a problem, considering that you only ever need it at the very end of the quest - so, while the procedure to re-obtain it is far from easy or cheap, you’d probably have a chance to win it back in time for the game. Anyway, just in case I plan to stay very attached to my one ^^").

But if you say that the other Ambition provide more or more interesting background material, I guess I’ll stay tuned here. As I said, I ca’t be of much help regarding spoilers, as I’m quite green :(

I actually changed from Heart’s Desire to Light Fingers midway through the ambition and haven’t regretted it! Light Fingers has tons of interesting information about fallen London’s mysteries, as do I’m sure the others. A good resource for reading up on the ambitions (I’ve read through some of the others) as well as everything echo bazaar is on the wiki: http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/

I’m not an editor but it is seriously the best place to go and look at what happens had you made a different choice. I try not to look on there much due to spoilers, but do enjoy reading about the other ambitions…

Seriously… Is there anyone who actually LIKED the Heart’s Desire Ambition? T.T

[color=000000]So, I might as well start by sharing my Vake-hunting experiences with those who are interested. You might read it all, or pick out the parts you find most tempting. It’s up to you!

[spoiler]About the Vake itself:

The Vake is nearly 4,000 years old. It has leathery wings, its teeth possess independent motion and will break free to burrow into the hearts of those it bites, days later. Hieroglyphic tablets from the Second City mention that the Vake takes a special liking to royal blood. And it finds and eats anyone who boasts about hunting it. The best way to lure it to you (if you are so foolish) is a singing mandrake. That’s right. You’ve probably thought the pub’s name was just nonsense, but mandrakes can really be taught to sing. Quite beautifully, even.
The only way to kill the Vake, apparently, is a Sandalwood Club, topped with an original Vake-tooth (which, of course, is still as lively as it once was in the Vake’s mouth). Most of this information was provided to me by a Scarred Naturalist, who later turned out to be a Snuffer working for the Vake. I’ll come to that.

My acquaintance from Spite, the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer, taught the mandrake to sing. I got the Vake-tooth on a visit to New Newgate Prison, while the sandalwood came from an old sandalwood tree growing in the middle of a filthy slum in the far East of the City, &quotwell past the Prickfinger Wastes&quot. Clay tablets lying around the tree suggested that it’s been around since the times of the Second City.

After that, the Scarred Naturalist sent me north to the Prickfinger Wastes to find something &quotrather valuable&quot that a certain sisterhood of gorgeous, fighting nuns (I’m not joking) had hidden there. That something turns out to be a tiny bottle of Black Wings Absinthe Nouveau. A single drop of this is enough and I am transported to the home of the Vake, the Abyssal Depths. There, in complete darkness, the Snuffer that was the Scarred Naturalist revealed that it was &quotgrooming victims for the Vake since long before the Fall&quot and that &quotthe club is useless, I’m afraid. The Vake wanted its tooth back, that’s all. Oh, and I believe that it enjoys the smell of sandalwood.&quot
I then killed the Snuffer and released my mandrake. At least that part was true: as soon as the mandrake started singing, the Vake was upon me; screaming, all the time, in its terrible voice (more about that in a moment). During the ensuing fight I barely managed to stay alive. In fact, I would have died then and there (and permanently, for all I know), but in the last moment that sisterhood of gorgeous, fighting nuns appeared and the Vake instantly took to flight. I got a glimpse of it then: &quota furry leathery monstrosity, a black mouth crowded with bloody teeth that click like pincers, two eyes as hot and ancient as the stars.&quot Then I blacked out.

About Black Wings Absinthe and Mr Wines’ involvement:

Each bottle of B.W. Absinthe contains a single drop of Vake blood. Where Mr Wines gets it from, I don’t know. While drinking, focus all your attention on the Vake, or you will simply wake up in a ditch at the centre of some difficult stories. The ensuing dreams/visions/whatever always consisted of me being the Vake, hunting. And of course, screaming. Here’s an example of the latter:

night cool up here in the stalactites crumbling city below fold wings drop wind whips !glorious speed! there black speck among the tumbledown temples !prey! swoop silent to street level sandstorm in my wake closer jaws wide teeth primed she turns too late fall and feast and drink her down…

&quotThe absinthe connection is a two way process, of course. Have you not felt the Vake crawling through your nightmares, these last few weeks, learning how you taste?&quot told me the Snuffer, teasingly. So, that is how the Vake learns of who wants to hunt it.

After being saved by the nuns (I’ll come to them), I got involved with a guy named Jervaise who is apparently Mr Wines’ left-and-right-hand-man. He told me that &quotMr Wines has vested interests. It don’t want to be associated with Vake-hunters. It has its reasons, don’t it? But it’s also authorised me to use my discretion to help them - if I think they deserve it. It’s all a big game, you see? I’ll introduce you to the right cove if you can do something for me in return.&quot This Jervaise, by the way, is Mrs Plenty’s husband.

So, after doing him a couple favours, he did introduce me to the &quotright cove&quot. At the Parlour of Virtue.

About Sinning Jenny’s involvement.[/color][color=000000][color=000000][/spoiler][/color]That is the current content boundary. I can’t wait to go on…
[/color]
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 7/28/2016

I’m enjoying Hearts Desire myself. Yana has no use for wealth, glory, or revenge, but desires something a little more… personal.

The Nemesis storyline dragged in parts – don’t they all? – but the trip to Venderblight was most intriguing, and the promise of more information about the Iron Republic certainly has my attention.

I’m enjoying Hearts Desire myself. Yana has no use for wealth, glory, or revenge, but desires something a little more… personal.[/quote]

That’s a bit reassuring ^^"

Personally, for the moment I’m particularly fond of the grotesque, surreal feeling of this Ambition. It started as a fairly ordinary investigating/espionage venture, but took a quickly turn towards uncanny valley from the moment I went looking for a girl and [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]found her monkey instead. Monkey that turned out to actually be one of the players O_o[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]. If Heart’s Desire keeps being s[/color][/color]o strange, I’m definitely going to have a good time :)
edited by streetfelineblue on 12/21/2011

[quote=streetfelineblue]That’s a bit reassuring ^^"

Personally, for the moment I’m particularly fond of the grotesque, surreal feeling of this Ambition. It started as a fairly ordinary investigating/espionage venture, but took a quickly turn towards uncanny valley from the moment I went looking for a girl and [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]found her monkey instead. Monkey that turned out to actually be one of the players O_o[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]. If Heart’s Desire keeps being s[/color][/color]o strange, I’m definitely going to have a good time :)
edited by streetfelineblue on 12/21/2011[/quote]
You will find her again. You may have already met someone close to her. Just remember to be kind to your monkey, and do not drive her to revenge.

Heart’s Desire has you meeting many interesting people.

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]The monkey is one of the players, as mentioned. Its owner turns out to be Cora Bagley, sister of Tristam Bagley – better known now as the Topsy King. You learn quite a bit about him, apparently he lost his sanity in the Marvelous. The bishop of St. Fiacre’s is another player, as is the manager of the Royal Bethlehem Hotel.[/color]

I am quite enjoying Heart’s Desire myself (I am at the current content boundary) and you do find out some interesting secrets about prominent Fallen London personalities and their histories.

I appreciate what Mr. Burandt has told us about the Bag a Legend ambition and hope that others will be willing to do similarly for other ambitions! I hear one of them gives us more information about the relation between the gaolers at NewNewgate and Prisoners’ Honey and am quite curious to learn more.

I’m going with light fingers becaus i found it a bit more…sensible than the rest of them. In the end what is that makes a man ? i ask myself. Fame, glory …that’s all well and good but the only to be forever remembered in society is to have more riches than the rest of society combined.

But on a less roleplaying note , light fingers answers 1/4 of the mysteries in Fallen London and has it’s own perks and faults just as the rest of the glory-seeking madness. I find it more suitable for me because of the many shadowy storylets.
edited by Andrey Shmarev Shmareva on 12/21/2011

To those who are worried about their choice of Ambition, I suggest giving it a much longer time.
At first I wasn’t satisfied with Heart’s Desire, but as I discovered my character I realized that it was not only the best fit for me, but a far better story than the other three options.
There is a tendency towards buyers remorse, but don’t be rash to judge your Ambition without seeing it and yourself to fruition.

[quote=Patrick Reding][quote=streetfelineblue]That’s a bit reassuring ^^"

edited by streetfelineblue on 12/21/2011[/quote]
You will find her again. You may have already met someone close to her. Just remember to be kind to your monkey, and do not drive her to revenge.[/quote]

That stupid monkey! Ticking it off gets expensive. :(

Cheaper by far to just commission burglaries for the coins.

Cheaper by far to just commission burglaries for the coins.[/quote]
If you can obtain a level of Connected: The Masters, you can also trade it in for a substantial quantity of coins. Opportunity-based stories to increase this connection unlock at level 45 in all qualities except Shadowy.

I assume you mean the Umpire of Knife-and-Candle, Mr. Wines’s Revels, and Reliables List of Mr. Pages stories? Just curious that I didn’t miss any, heh.

I assume you mean the Umpire of Knife-and-Candle, Mr. Wines’s Revels, and Reliables List of Mr. Pages stories? Just curious that I didn’t miss any, heh.[/quote]
That is exactly what I meant. Presumably there is no Shadowy storyline because the Masters do not see consorting with thieves, smugglers, and revolutionaries to be a good quality in an assistant.

I picked up the Nemesis ambition myself.

The secrets it relates to, for the the folks on other ambitions, are:

[ul][li]Red Prisoner’s Honey (Gaoler’s Honey), which features heavily in the early stages. You even get to sample some yourself.[/li][li]The Tomb Colony of Venderblight, and what happens to the really old Tomb Colonists.[/li][li]Someone will tell you some remarkable things about Feducci.
[/li][li]The Iron Republic will supposedly feature in future content, and I suspect further involvement from Hell.[/li][/ul]
edited by T.W.O. Chandler on 12/21/2011

I’d suggest commissioning burglaries for the Hearts’ Desire ambition. Personally, I raised my Connected: Criminals by chatting with the Repentant Forger, and raised the Moon Pearls by engaging in Persuasive storylets in the Shuttered Palace.

Also, you can get Connected: The Masters by siding with them in the riot at the Docks.