The 6th Tournament of the SRS has ended!

The Sixth Tournament of the Sanguine Ribbon Society has concluded! The 35 participants fought a combined 222 Lethal Sparring Bouts. Please congratulate the champion of the tournament, Tsar Koschei, who was victorious with an incredible 31 points and, even more impressively, zero losses. Exceptional Hats off to you, sir! Please also congratulate the runner-up, Amalgamate (23 points) and 3rd place finisher Taranlei close behind with 19 points.

For the first time, we have a tie for the Wooden Spoon title with both William Green and Severinus in a tie with the lowest score (6). Per tournament rules, they’ll continue sparring until one of them loses a set of two bouts and thus earns the title. Alternately, I will give them the option to share the title and split the &quotreward&quot of rats – whatever the outcome, I will announce the winner(s) of the Wooden Spoon title here.

Here is the final scoreboard for participants that completed all 17 Lethal Sparring Bouts. Congratulations to all of you! Wear your Sanguine Ribbons with pride and, if you haven’t already, record your wins and losses on the SRS Leaderboard.

1. Tsar Koschei (31) - CHAMPION
2. [b]Amalgamate /b - Runner-up
3. [b]Taranlei /b - 3rd Place
4. [b]Raccoonajr /b
5. [b]Azoth I /b
6. Optimatum, Werner Salaman, & Shaerys (tied with 15)
7. Solange Dovera-Rooke (14)
8. Rowland Walsted (13)
9. Skinnyman, Fenoglio, & idon091 (tied with 12)
10. Anne_Carnacki, ThomasSnurrison, & Vladje (tied with 11)
11. Praesidius & Qorder (tied with 10)
12. JaggedMallard & Johanness (tied with 9)
13. [b]Plurnes /b
14. William Green & Severinus (tied with 6)

Please note that due to the unexpected Whitsun festival, delivery of prizes will be delayed until after Whitsun has concluded (I have important egg-related matters to take care of at the moment). The participants listed above, however, are welcome to display the Sixth Tournament badge seen below to their signatures right now. I have already added the badge to their leaderboard profiles.

As always, please post or send me your feedback about the tournament to help improve future events. I already have a few rule changes in mind to streamline things a bit next time. To pre-register for the next tournament, join the SRS by adding your name to the Leaderboard if you haven’t already (don’t forget, you need a Black Ribbon to join), then simply write &quotYes&quot in the &quotApplying for&quot column.

Until then, keep your blades sharp and your wits sharper still. :dagger:
edited by James Sinclair on 5/15/2020
edited by James Sinclair on 5/15/2020

Neat! I shall use those coins to upgrade my lab!

Awesome tournament! Thanks for running it, James. Congrats to Tsar, Amalgamate and Taranlei!!! (missed it by one!)

Congratulations to the victors! And my thanks to all opponents who helped make this a fun first Tournament for me. I look forward to squaring off against some of you again in the future. And deepest gratitude to James Sinclair for organizing this excellent venture! Now back to dualing eggs…

William Green and Severinus have elected to share the Wooden Spoon title. I flipped a coin and have named William Green the Wooden Spoon and Severinus the Wooden Fork! Both of them also earn 500 rats (to be delivered post-Whitsun) and a spot in the Sanguine Hall of Fame.

I encourage other SRS members to send them congratulations and, of course, lots of additional rats.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and thanks especially to James for kindly organizing this lovely tournament. I’m very glad I was finally able to take part, thanks again to Praesidius for alerting me that it had started. And a thank you to all of my opponents, who (along with the kind prize donors) made this experience worthwhile! :)

Many thanks for organizing this tournament, James! :D

My thanks to Anne Carnacki for alerting me to the tournament conclusion and winners, otherwise I would’ve missed this behind all the Whitsun festivities. (What, how could I miss the Tournament end?? Well, after all that death-dealing and bloodshed, I found my soul somewhat tarnished, and had to assuage that by partaking extensively in new life.)

As always, I enjoyed the Tournament immensely, especially this chance to duel such fine gentlefolk. I never would’ve expected to beat such folk like Azoth I and Raccoonajr. But my score has improved with every tournament, perhaps I might take the championship next! cue hilarious laughter by Taranlei’s L.B. companions in the background.

Thank you Mister Sinclair for organizing another enjoyable event. May I meet many fellow duelists again next tournament.

Hi all! I find the idea of the Sanguine Ribbon a lot of fun, and found out about the tournament partway through the previous one. Is there any way to be alerted/put myself on the list when the next one is beginning?

EDIT: Never mind, properly read the first post.
edited by Zeel on 5/31/2020

If duels are being removed… does that mean this was the final tournament? It doesn’t really sound like the new actions will offer any suitable mechanic for competition.

Man, I’m happy I was able to participate.

[quote=Tsar Koschei]If duels are being removed… does that mean this was the final tournament? It doesn’t really sound like the new actions will offer any suitable mechanic for competition.

Man, I’m happy I was able to participate.[/quote]
I was planning on creating a new topic about this when the patch takes effect in a couple of days, but I see that our reigning Champion has beat me to the punch (so to speak).

Unfortunately, with the removal of sparring and with no apparent plans by FBG to revive Knife-and-Candle, the Sanguine Ribbon Society is in a difficult position. For now I will wait and see how the ‘assassins’ mechanic discussed in the latest blog post functions and if there is some way to adapt it for the SRS, but based on what I have read this seems unlikely. The post also mentioned that Sanguine Ribbons can be ‘traded in’ for new qualities; I hope this doesn’t involve losing all those hard-won Sanguine Ribbons on players’ accounts.

For now I wait and see what happens after the patch, but if anyone has any ideas for the SRS (and what to do with the remaining First City Coins in the SRS treasury), I am open to suggestions.

Sorry to steal your thunder there, didn’t mean to catch you flat-footed (though that was often my M.O. in duels).

[quote=James Sinclair]The post also mentioned that Sanguine Ribbons can be ‘traded in’ for new qualities; I hope this doesn’t involve losing all those hard-won Sanguine Ribbons on players’ accounts.[/quote]That’s certainly what it sounded like, but it would be very nice if we could hang onto them even as just a memento quality with no further mechanical relevance. Perhaps the devs could be lobbied a bit?

[quote=James Sinclair]For now I wait and see what happens after the patch, but if anyone has any ideas for the SRS (and what to do with the remaining First City Coins in the SRS treasury), I am open to suggestions.[/quote]I’d say just hold onto the cash for now and we’ll see what happens. Even if the SRS is forced to put its activities on hold indefinitely, perhaps the monies can be repurposed for some new endeavor down the line.

A bit of good news at least: it seems the lobbying effort was a success.

“Another player request was being able to retain Sanguine Ribbons and Chess: Mastery of the Game. Now, if you trade those qualities in for new ones to keep making progress towards London’s Sinew and London’s Nerves, you will get a vanity quality you can keep.”