Terror

Found out somewhere on the web, that a maximum terror condition with a maximum terror count is an instant gameover. Is it true? Are there any ways to lower terror condition(the Magdalene’s uses up moments of inspiration, but the moments[judging by the wiki] are only given in a Titania one-timer event and by giving charred nameplates to Sweet Jane). The last part is almost impossible, because all those dreadnoughts are rare to find+ I am RP’ing a british loyalist(by the way, can the tacketies be considered as ‘patriots’ and the space analogue of the US?).

I don’t want to die.

hello ! I can help

First of all, yes you’ve heard correctly. If you hit 6 condition you will die instantly and unavoidably. It’s important to manage terror and prevent it getting that high. You need to view terror as something seriously bad, and spend whatever money you need to keep it down. Keep an eye on your terror meter and head back to the central port (winchester or london) whenever it hits about 60, unless you’re sure you’ll have a closer way to lower it
[u][b]Whenever you return to a central port, your terror is reset to zero instantly for free.

[/b][/u]
Magdalenes is currently the only place to lower condition. Your first visit is free so you can get one point off that way. Every visit after costs unlicensed charts and moments of inspiration. Where exactly these can be found is much harder

These lists are not complete. I know you can get some moments of inspiration from levelling up and picking certain facets. And i’m pretty sure there’s something repeatable you can do to get them, because i have four (and have already spent 3 in the past)

Unlicensed charts are a bit harder to get. As a loyalist, you can get them consistently - but very slowly - by killing tons of tackety ships in the reach, and trading in the nameplates for a chart at port prosper.
They’re pretty easy to get if you’re willing to shoot down london’s ships, the blue Enduring Dreadnoughts often carry them. That is of course bad for roleplay, but there are no actual consequences for destroying them, since i believe they’re classed as privateers. Don’t touch the shiny gold ones though.

If you’ve got plenty of money, albion is easier to manage terror in, as almost every port has a repeatable thing you can do to lower terror at some cost. There’s nowhere to lower the condition there, though

Generally as long as your terror is 4 or less, you’re fine, since that protects you from going up a rank and dying instantly. But the higher it is, the more (and worse) the ghost visits will be

Your thread makes me realise how little information there is on this subject, i’ll try to fill in the wiki a bit if i find out more info

Oh and one last thing. If you die (from anything), you have the option of passing on your legacy and starting over as a new character, while keeping some things. Failbetter wants the game to be played somewhat as a roguelike. If you’ve badly fucked up your captain by letting condition get too high, that might be a better option than struggling to get enough things to lower it at magdalenes. The mistake was letting condition rise in the first place :(
edited by Nanako on 4/18/2018

So, in order to ‘heal’, I have to use both the unlicensed chart and the moment of inspiration, OR there is a way to use only the charts(I can grind the tacketies near port prosper for charts)?
edited by Autonomous on 4/18/2018

[quote=Autonomous]So, in order to ‘heal’, I have to use both the unlicensed chart and the moment of inspiration, OR there is a way to use only the charts(I can grind the tacketies near port prosper for charts)?
edited by Autonomous on 4/18/2018[/quote]
no you need both.
The wiki isnt complete since the game is new, i know there’s a lot of ways to get moments of inspiration, i can’t remember what they are, but i know ive picked up a lot of them in albion. pay a visit to albion and do quests there, things should work out

And if you’re feeling helpful, whenever you do find one come post abolut it here, someone will take that info and update the wiki for future
edited by Nanako on 4/18/2018