Terror is money and it's bad!

Reducing terror is only a matter of having money for that, as the taverns and resting missions are repeatable. Carouse in London, spend 30 echoes to remove several points, until you feel comfortable. I really believe that’s an error. Terror should be a problem and when it is high, you better have to spend some time doing safe stuff, like doing some trade nearby London, all lights on while following the buoys.

But no, right now, terror gain is not fast, even when cruising hundred of miles with light off, and if you have the echoes, can be reduced to zero… And you’ll have the echoes, just do some Salt Lions run.

I’m surprised that betas did not remark that as a problem, unless the game is developed without internal betas and only general players feedback.

Terror isn’t fast at the moment because the devs needed to rebalance things for the new live combat. I think later they will scale terror up again once they have a better handle on how combat changes things. So once the next update comes, things will change, most likely. (Frankly I like the new terror rate–makes my lights off sneaking tactic much more fun. But that probably isn’t quite realistic.)

[quote=Rapiere]Reducing terror is only a matter of having money for that, as the taverns and resting missions are repeatable. Carouse in London, spend 30 echoes to remove several points, until you feel comfortable. I really believe that’s an error. Terror should be a problem and when it is high, you better have to spend some time doing safe stuff, like doing some trade nearby London, all lights on while following the buoys.

But no, right now, terror gain is not fast, even when cruising hundred of miles with light off, and if you have the echoes, can be reduced to zero… And you’ll have the echoes, just do some Salt Lions run.

I’m surprised that betas did not remark that as a problem, unless the game is developed without internal betas and only general players feedback.[/quote]

Man, you are clearly new here. Back in May we were screaming at the devs for better terror reduction, which at that point was so bad (and terror increase so fast) that the terror meter represented a timer to your next death. I never bothered to buy any upgrades because I knew I’d be dead in about an hour anyway.

Agreed that terror used to be the toughest challenge when you started a new game. Of course once you had uncovered the map, had some money and with the introduction of a few new places and storylets that reduced terror it became less of a problem. Now though the rate it increases has been reduced a lot but the devs did say that this was temporary while they worked out the new combat system. I’m sure that in the next content update things will get a little (possibly a lot) harder.

It makes sense that you can reduce Terror through cash. You’re spending money to engage in entertaining past-times, in order to take your mind off the horrors of the zee. ('Course, if your character were to spend any serious amount of time in London, they’d feel significantly less safe there, I imagine). Forcing the player to do safe runs in order to get rid of Terror would be equivalent to forcing the player to hold down a button in order to regenerate actions in Fallen London–it’d be boring and tedious, and would likely scare a lot of players off.

In a way, running safe routes is a way to reduce terror. You make money to pay for terror reduction.

And frankly, even the safe routes can make a zailor antsy. You are never safe on the Zee.

edited by dismallyOriented on 10/18/2014

Please don’t read only half of what I say. The problem is not to go in a pub in London and lose 5 terrors for 30 echoes. The problem is having 300 echoes and clicking ten time on the proper button, because there is no delay or condition on that… So terror reduction is purely equivalent to money spending here. One profit run from the Salt Lions is 300 echoes. This amounts to 30-40 terror reduction in London. Don’t tell me the game is not too easy.
edited by Rapiere on 10/18/2014

[quote=Rapiere]Please don’t read only half of what I say. The problem is not to go in a pub in London and lose 5 terrors for 30 echoes. The problem is having 300 echoes and clicking ten time on the proper button, because there is no delay or condition on that… So terror reduction is purely equivalent to money spending here. One profit run from the Salt Lions is 300 echoes. This amounts to 30-40 terror reduction in London. Don’t tell me the game is not too easy.
edited by Rapiere on 10/18/2014[/quote]

Well, you being confrontational in your first (and this^^) post is not gonna help anybody to hear you out (I mean, comeon man, you insulted the devs and EVERYONE who plays the game). Now, I agree with you that right now terror is not a thing. I had to work hard at getting my terror high enough to do certain stories that require it. And I can even see your point that, perhaps, there could be a better system for reducing terror than just spending money (I don’t know what the system could be and I dislike your idea of having to stick around home waters to reduce terror). But, I have a feeling that once terror is balanced to the same effect it was, you may have a different story to tell.

[quote=Rapiere]Please don’t read only half of what I say. The problem is not to go in a pub in London and lose 5 terrors for 30 echoes. The problem is having 300 echoes and clicking ten time on the proper button, because there is no delay or condition on that… So terror reduction is purely equivalent to money spending here. One profit run from the Salt Lions is 300 echoes. This amounts to 30-40 terror reduction in London. Don’t tell me the game is not too easy.
edited by Rapiere on 10/18/2014[/quote]

No-one has said that Terror isn’t a neutered quality right now. You’ve been told several times that this is a temporary state of affairs while Steel is balanced. I didn’t read &quotonly half of what you said,&quot and I fail to see how being able to reduce Terror like that is a problem on its own–it’s only a problem when taken with the fact that Terror is, currently, neutered; once this is solved, being able to remove it with a pub trip will cease to be a problem as well.

Well I’m sorry if I appeared as insulting to anyone, I’m sure this was not my intent, and asking if the game was developed only with public feedback was a real genuine question… And no, I did not get until now that Terror was neutered. It means that until next version, there is not much point to play the game as a game and not as a beta test.
edited by Rapiere on 10/19/2014

[quote=Rapiere]Well I’m sorry if I appeared as insulting to anyone, I’m sure this was not my intent, and asking if the game was developed only with public feedback was a real genuine question… And no, I did not get until now that Terror was neutered. It means that until next version, there is not much point to play the game as a game and not as a beta test.
edited by Rapiere on 10/19/2014[/quote]
Well, it IS a beta test. In fact, they only just changed the entire combat system to something different, and they cut down terror so people could focus on testing the combat.