Taking a break - the pain of Notability

Some combination of little new content, burnout, and distraction by other games (oh, and RL time constraints!) is causing me to take not quite a complete break, but certainly a reduction from play-every-action to couple-times-a-week in my FL play.[li]

Which would all be fine and dandy… except that I know it’s going to knock me down from Notability 15 to probably zero.

I know that it’s been requested before, but here’s another plea in case it is the tipping-straw: an ability to put characters into ‘suspend’ mode would be SO welcome. Even if it has say a week cool-down time, which would seem likely to avoid any abuse… that would be a huge player benefit.

Anyway - here’s hoping, and see you in a few months, I expect.

At least use your Notability to get Favourable Circumstances! That way it won’t be completely wasted…

Oh yeah, and a Suspend Mode would be cool, of course. Or at least the option to send an Absent Notice to all one’s acquaintances.

Or use it to get Prize Tokens in K&C.

Huh - ok, I’ll look into both of those uses. Thanks, folks.

I’ve been thinking of this myself - I’m currently preparing to start the PoSI storyline, but I’ve been feeling a bit of trepidation. Seems like as soon as you pass that hurdle, taking a break from the game becomes non-trivial… and that’s kind of a stressful thought.

A way to put your character into ‘Suspended Animation’ would certainly be an improvement. It could easily be worked in storywise, too… maybe with a bit of Fate being needed to access it the first time? It’d chiefly be for people who are already heavily invested in the game, after all.

[quote=BlakeTheDrake]I’ve been thinking of this myself - I’m currently preparing to start the PoSI storyline, but I’ve been feeling a bit of trepidation. Seems like as soon as you pass that hurdle, taking a break from the game becomes non-trivial… and that’s kind of a stressful thought.

A way to put your character into ‘Suspended Animation’ would certainly be an improvement. It could easily be worked in storywise, too… maybe with a bit of Fate being needed to access it the first time? It’d chiefly be for people who are already heavily invested in the game, after all.[/quote]

It’s not becoming a POSI, but passing a certain number of notability that makes taking a break non-trivial. you could get the first point with next-to-no effort, (and if you naturally keep around 8 making waves, like i tend to when i’m active, it would stay for 4 time-the-healer visits, just under a month, if you don’t want to be dependent on the card) and the second not that much harder - but 7 is hard to maintain, and more than that gets progressively more irksome. If you don’t want to be tied down, just don’t do notability. everything else won’t be a problem. of course… I’m seriously considering stranding my notability, because there’s not much i want to use it for, and i can always get it back up later.
edited by Grenem on 4/20/2015

This sounds pretty reasonable, does it not make sense that your reputation wanes over time when you’re ou of the public eye?

maybe the pace at which it does so is a bit fast though

Indeed, there’s nothing stopping you from ignoring Notability until it becomes necessary for a specific task you wish to do. Quite frankly that’s probably the best way to deal with Notability, though it is pretty nice to have a high level just because.

Generally it’s useful to maintain Notability at 9 so that you have 100% success rate on getting a gift from the Unsigned Message card. It doesn’t have much use other than that except for one-time effects. It is also fairly trivial to get to, say, Notability 6 without much resource expenditure.

Notability 15 as Ewan has must be a freaking nightmare to reach/maintain, though.

Notability 9 is pretty easy to maintain if you use your free evenings and a few things that raise MW over the week.

I also just took an Alt from Notability 3 to 9 in two days, but they are an author and had a lot of Nights on the Town stockpiled.

Edit - see following posts.
edited by reveurciel on 4/20/2015

[quote=lady ciel ]Notability 9 is pretty easy to maintain if you use your free evenings and a few things that raise MW over the week.

I also just took an Alt from Notability 3 to 9 in two days, but they are an author and had a lot of free evenings stockpiled.[/quote]
do you mean nights on the town, or is there a trick to stockpiling free evenings?

You are right Nights on the Town it was. I’ll edit my original post .

[quote=Toran]Generally it’s useful to maintain Notability at 9 so that you have 100% success rate on getting a gift from the Unsigned Message card. It doesn’t have much use other than that except for one-time effects. It is also fairly trivial to get to, say, Notability 6 without much resource expenditure.

Notability 15 as Ewan has must be a freaking nightmare to reach/maintain, though.[/quote]

It’s not that bad, actually. Spend a month or two building your salon up to about level 30, and then you can get N15 in a couple of weeks, tops, with scheme to spare (I think I still have it at 13 or 14, good for quite a bit of waves if I somehow needed them). Maintenance is also not bad if you’re not taking an extended break, there have been a couple of weeks I’ve completely forgotten to use my free evenings and ended with &quotonly&quot 20 MW, easily enough for maintenance. When I remember to use all of them, and with some good luck with party invitations, it’s not hard to hit MW 30, which would potentially allow a week’s absence without losing notability.

you do realise the best way to not care about the popularity game is never start it in the first place right? anyways,it’s far more easy to keep your notability at a more modest level 1-5 if you’re going to neglect the game most of the time.

. . . and remember that the main use of Notability is to get slowly eaten by the Bazaar. Just sayin’ . . .

It’s really interesting emergent storytelling, because the mechanics mirror the emotions your character feels. Initially the thrill of the stories drove me deeper and deeper. Who wouldn’t want sick bonuses and great power? But it wasn’t any overt mechanics or torment on behalf of the Bazaar that broke me. It was time. Time, resources, connections, thrown down a well, and for what?

Stories? Passion?

This thread finally tore it for me. Mr. Irons is right. Damn the Bazaar and all this nonsense, I’m taking my Favorable Circumstances and cashing out while I still can.
edited by friendshipranger on 5/4/2015

Along this line of things - with players going offline for a time and Rupho’s suggestion of an absent notice - it would be nice to have some quick way of knowing if a player hadn’t played for a week or few. There’s a bunch of unaccepted Invitations to a Private Supper (and other social actions) sitting in my messages, to people who don’t seem to be around at present.

At the moment I’m keeping track of who not to send things to via a text document on my desktop, and I’ve snubbed a few of those acquaintances already. But they still appear in the Contacts list and I don’t know how any way to best prevent the absent players from showing up as an option when I’m picking who to send social actions to.

Even the player who became my character’s spouse seems to have vanished from the game, and I don’t know whether to just leave them there (for that +1 to each Quality and +1 Committed) or assumed they have changed residence to the Tomb Colonies, and move on myself.
When I was with the Celebrated Artist’s Model, she would at least go for a stroll with me. :-/

Hover the cursor over your account name at the top right of the screen (in Fallen London) and click &quotEdit your account&quot. You can delete unwanted contacts there!

Hover the cursor over your account name at the top right of the screen (in Fallen London) and click &quotEdit your account&quot. You can delete unwanted contacts there![/quote]

Thankyou! I’ll give it a shot. ^_^

If you wanted to be a particularly wonderful and delicious person, you could give out your notability to those without their first point.

Sorry if this is a bit late, but I wanted to make my first post in a low-stakes environment.