Survey on Fallen London

Hi Alexis, Nigel, Chris, Emily, etc.:

I was really fascinated to see the player survey on FL yesterday. Is there any chance you’ll be willing to share some of the results with those of us creating SN games? I think it would provide some great insights into the audiences that we’re serving and what motivates them.

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere! I’ve been a little absent from the forums. :-)

Cheers!

• Caity

[color=#009900]Yes indeed! I was on my way here to share the results when I saw your post, in fact. The results are still coming in, but the proportions have changed very little between hour 1 and hour 24. About 3.5K people have responded so far.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Do you consider yourself more a reader, more a gamer, or do you feel strongly that you’re both equally? or neither?[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]Reader 26%[/color]
[color=#009900]Gamer 12%[/color]
[color=#009900]Both 61%[/color]

[color=#009900]Neither / It’s complicated: less than 1%[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]This was by far the biggest surprise for us. We expected a lot of people to be book-lovers, but we didn’t expect that - after three years of promoting FL as a game, almost exclusively to the gaming press/blogs - twice as many players would consider themselves readers-not-gamers as gamers-not-readers.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]What do you like most about FL / StoryNexus?[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]
Doing fun, escapist things 12%
Finding out how stories / mysteries come out 49%
Exploring another place 30%
An experience that works well in small chunks 7%
Other / It’s complicated 1%

[/color]
[color=#009900]I was slightly taken aback to see how much more popular ‘mysteries’ was than exploring and escapism, but we always expected that one to come first. The heavy bias towards players-as-readers fits there, of course.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]What do you like about interactive stories?[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]The experience of making choices / learning about myself 35%[/color]
[color=#009900]Seeing how my actions change the story’s outcomes 42%[/color]
[color=#009900]Treating the story as a puzzle / challenge 20%[/color]
[color=#009900]I don’t like interactive stories 1%[/color]
[color=#009900]It’s complicated 2%[/color]

[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]No great surprises here. If you’ve read almost any of my blog posts, you’ll know I’m as interested in the ‘choice’ as the ‘consequence’ element of interactive stories, so I was quietly pleased to see a lot of people share that few - but consequence was always going to be the biggest. We got a lot of emails (thanks, folks!) elaborating on the ‘it’s complicated’. Lots of that emailing 2% like the roleplaying angle, lots say ‘all of the above!’ I do wonder what the 1% who don’t like interactive stories are doing here - playing the world’s worst-designed fruit machine? (If you’re in the 1%, do answer below).[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Thanks, everyone. I know we gave away a little Fate, but only six people out of 3500 have opted out - everyone else answered - which was an incredible response rate. This has been really useful to us.[/color]

Delightful! Thanks for sharing Alexis, and the results definitely are interesting. I may owe you an e-mail for one of the “it’s complicated” responses, heh.

I find it intriguing that there’s a full quarter of people who consider themselves readers first. I think it really says something about the importance of story in this medium. Thank you for sharing!

I would like to second the appreciation for creating this survey! I find it very interesting to see what people think of StoryNexus and interactive narratives. The survey itself actually helped me do a bit of introspection of what I sought after most in interactive narratives, and I was glad to express those opinions! The Fate was a generous gift as well. :-)

It was very interesting to think about - I admit, I had to think for a while about questions 2 and 3 (I went for Twists and Turns and Difficult Questions in the end, but Exploration, Escapism, and Consequences could all have been up there.)

I was also happy to be able to give my feedback and see that of others. I can’t help but wonder if all of the qualities the questions gave us will have some kind of effect on SN/FL later on down the road though… I mean there has to be SOME reason the answers gave us a quality right? :-D

Interesting results! I wonder how many of those who consider themselves to be readers-not-gamers found FL via The Night Circus?

Oh hey, I’m pretty sure I’m in that 1%.

I’m just in it because now I want to know what happens. If this were a real book, this is the point where I’d have flipped to the last page or read the the wikipedia plot summary and then moved on, because I’m no longer actually enjoying the process. But it’s not a book so there’s no last page to flip to so I’m still here.

What didn’t emerge from the survey is that I’d do mostly anything that doesn’t involve my sensible data for a little Fate (when I read the sorylet I nearly jumped for joy XD), especially now that the video offers seem a little broken to me (they usually fared just fine, but recently failed to display T.T), so please survey me anytime you want ^^

…video offers?

(Also, belated, but FWIW I consider myself a reader, not a gamer, and came to FL before the Night Circus. Also didn’t like the Night Circus nearly as much as FL.)

L&c,
F

[quote=Torrain]…video offers?

(Also, belated, but FWIW I consider myself a reader, not a gamer, and came to FL before the Night Circus. Also didn’t like the Night Circus nearly as much as FL.)

L&c,
F[/quote]

In the Nex (formerly Fate) tab of Fallen London there are many advertisement offers granting Nex points in exchange for various activities, like submitting a survey or registering to a game. I often did the Video ones - 1 Nex point to watch a video advertisement. (I did somet different offersat times, but for some reason they never yielded the promised Nex result O_o).

In the Nex (formerly Fate) tab of Fallen London there are many advertisement offers granting Nex points in exchange for various activities, like submitting a survey or registering to a game. I often did the Video ones - 1 Nex point to watch a video advertisement. (I did somet different offersat times, but for some reason they never yielded the promised Nex result O_o).[/quote]

Ah! Okay, I always had trouble getting the other offers to show up–they loaded very slowly, and sometimes didn’t respond to clicking–and I’d completely missed the video ones. Thanks for the explanation.

L&c,
F

I saw the survey announcement on phone but it just disappeared and I was back in Polythreme! Dang, I really wanted to take it, I love such things especially connected to games I play every day, and pay for.

[li]
You’re a bit late. The survey this thread is referring to is from 2012 :P

You want this thread:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24119-regarding-the-survey-today.aspx#post188418
edited by Jermaine Vendredi on 4/6/2017