[Survey] Favourite fate-locked stories (Jan. 2019)

Every once in a while, we ask players which fate-locked stories they liked and which they didn’t like. We did the last survey in April 2018 and since then ten new stories have been published. Hopefully, the results of this survey will provide a good guide which stories are worth purchasing and which stories you might want to avoid.

Here is the survey

A few things:

[ul][li]At first glance this might look overwhelming but answering all questions will not take all that long. You should be able to finish this in 5-10 minutes at most.[/li][li]Please only rate stories that you have actually played. I’ve added an &quotN/A&quot-option in case you misclicked and accidentally voted on a story you didn’t play. Voting &quotN/A&quot has the same effect as not voting at all.[/li][li]Don’t feel discouraged if you have only played one or two stories. I’m happy if you participate, voting for only these one or two stories and leave everything else blank.[/li][li]Feel free to skip anything you would prefer not to answer.[/li][li]You’re required to have a Google account to do this to ensure that everyone only votes once. I hope this doesn’t turn out to be a problem.[/li][li]Voting is completely anonymous. I will only get your answers to the questions, nothing else.[/li][/ul] You will be able to see the overall results once you have voted. We will also post the results here reddit in about two or three weeks. It depends a little on how long new votes are coming in. I’ll update this thread once the results are published.

As always, if you have any ideas what to do better next time, please let me know.

[If you want to take a look at the results, just click here.]

I would like to thank phryne for originally coming up with the idea. Many thanks also to Gallmarch, idyl, Peridigital and Tuxi for doing some beta-testing as well as everyone else who offered suggestions or information for this survey.
edited by rahv7 on 1/24/2019

I have to say, I loved the categories!

The results are in and as of January 2018 these are the most most popular fate-locked stories:

• For All the Saints Who from Their Labours Rest (average vote 0.77)[/li][li]Lost in Reflections (average vote 0.77)[/li][li]HOJOTOHO! (average vote 0.76)[/li][li]The Ceremony (average vote 0.74)[/li][li]The Gift (average vote 0.68)

If you want to know what to avoid, these are the least popular stories:

• The Rubbery Murders (average vote -0.68)[/li][li]Factory of Favours (average vote -0.5)[/li][li]The Last Dog Society (average vote -0.35)[/li][li]Spinning of the Wheels (average vote -0.33)[/li][li]The Haunting of the Marsh House (average vote -0.26)

Average votes are scaled from 1 (best) to -1 (worst), such that stories with an average vote above 0 were liked by the majority of players, and stories with an average below 0 were disliked by the majority.

When going purely for rewards, these are the stories most worth it:

[ul][li]Theological Husbandry (90.53%)
[/li][li]Flute Street (86.67%)
[/li][li]The Spinning of the Wheels (84.37%)
[/li][li]A Trade in Souls (80.85%)
[/li][li]The Ceremony (80.26%)[/li][/ul]

I have written a few more words over at reddit. Feel free to take a look and if you have any comments or questions, please let me know (either here or on reddit).

You can also take a look at the Google Spreadsheet for a lot more details.
edited by rahv7 on 2/19/2019

Truly a well made poll! It’s hard to make one that doesn’t get repetitive or boring.
Also great initiative! :D

It’s a shame the latest Exceptional Story (Cricket, Anyone?) didn’t make it to the survey. From what I gather from the reaction in the forums it would give Lost in Reflections, For All the Saints and HOJOTOHO! a run for their money.

Well, there’s always a new story. Nobody could’ve known this one would be so good.
Just remember how much you liked it until the next survey ;)

Rubbery Murders would be perfect if it was much cheaper. One of the few times I didn’t just mindlessly click my way to an obvious answer and the only time the old &quotoh please decide our fate for us pretty please&quot makes sense.

The community and Failbetter are simply wrong for hating it for non price reasons.

I will duel anyone significantly weaker than me who says otherwise.

[quote=UgiUgi]Rubbery Murders would be perfect if it was much cheaper. One of the few times I didn’t just mindlessly click my way to an obvious answer and the only time the old &quotoh please decide our fate for us pretty please&quot makes sense.

The community and Failbetter are simply wrong for hating it for non price reasons.

I will duel anyone significantly weaker than me who says otherwise.[/quote]And that’s why this community is great because we have opposing opinions about many stories!
That story was the best EPA before Constable conversion, but I don’t think many people knew; I found out 1-2 weeks before. With two AP, you will lose Constable connections (if any) and gain 3 Rubbery favours.
I can’t even remember much about it because I wanted to see the result after the conversion, but it’s been so long! If anyone can PM with the details before picking the murderer, I would appreciate it!

I found it so hard to keep track, I actually locked away the wrong suspect. Still don’t know whodunnit, so the story follows me around like a guilt trail…