Sunlight and Feasting!

Has anyone tried the Pickpocket’s Promenade with her equipped, to see if there’s any change to her appearance on the Promenade? Even just a cosmetic change to the description text would be interesting to see. (Well, that or the universe would break as you robbed the Costermonger with the help of the Costermonger. :P )[/quote]

Didn’t see any unique text. Guess it’s another costermonger.

Hm. Assuming that the Voice is in fact the Bazaar (or the Earth itself), it almost sounds like…well…it left its love to be with us. “You are all I ever hungered for…” certainly sounds like the Bazaar was seeking…what, friends? Children? And our “tales” are the Bazaar’s attempt to show its old lover (the Sun?) that “this all” was a worthy endeavor.

Or, I could just be insane. I did, after all, just escape the Orphanage. ^.^

According to the sidebars, the Bazaar is traditionally styled as ‘she’ by men and ‘he’ by women; the Voice very definitely refers to a ‘he’. Whether that changes anything, I doubt, but it is possibly-relevant established lore.

[quote=Proto Omega] And our “tales” are the Bazaar’s attempt to show its old lover (the Sun?) that “this all” was a worthy endeavor.
[/quote]

Expanding on this, what if this is why the Masters place such a high tax on love stories leaving the Neath? I see (at least) two possibilities: either the Masters are trying to prevent the Earth from reconciling with the Sun for whatever reason (perhaps so they don’t lose their power?) by witholding the love stories that would reunite the pair, or the Masters are on the side of the two lovers and don’t want the love stories to leave the Neath and make the Sun jealous (or both).

I always had the impression that there was a critical mass of love stories that needed to accumulate to make…something…happen, and that the tariff on exporting love stories was to help keep them in the Neath where they can contribute to that accumulation.

Ahhh… My character might have dodged a couple of bullets there.

The card art was changed for certain daughter-related parts of the storyline a couple months back, that’s all.

Sure, why not? I also think he eats through you, to you, and eventually all of you. He’s probably one of the major persons who taught the Bazaar about hunger during the Third City. “The first taught restraint and the second betrayed. The third taught us hunger: the fourth we remade.”

I’ve been toying with the idea of making a Seeker account. I am admittedly intrigued by the concept of being “engaged in a variation of sexual intercourse” with Mr Eaten, as Alexis has recently so eloquently stated:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic1537-sunlight.aspx?Page=11#post22945

I’ve always liked Passionario’s theory about the Correspondence being a colony of sentient parasites that feed on emotions and thoughts conjured in the mind; they manifest physically as sigils. Human minds are probably too weak to nurture and spawn a new sigil – but for a creature like the Bazaar? The Correspondence must have formed a rather powerful symbiotic relationship with the Bazaar. That is, if we’re gonna take the whole “The marks are a legion: their stories are swords” thing to a logical extreme. What a dreadfully inspired notion to use words as a form of biological warfare! I think a budding assassin could really make use of a Correspondence scholar. As for who or what the “swords” are directed at, I suppose Mr Eaten would make one good candidate. He’s probably holding ticket #7 in the long line of those who want a Word with the Bazaar.

Love stories seem to soothe and please the Bazaar, but I guess they also serve as fodder for the Correspondence. I’m sure the important ones that tell the Surth’s – yes, “Surth” is my cute couple name for the Sun and Earth – story and the falls of the First to the Fourth Cities are part of the Bazaar’s skin. When my character was digging through the Forgotten Quarter to uncover more Correspondence sigils (way back on the scholar path), he found this:
“A new one! What does it mean? ‘Tracks in the illimitable void?’ Is it that character that translated as an emotion somewhere between love and academic excitement? Or the one that seems to mean ‘bad-tempered gas?’ In any case, it’s meat for your researches.”
I take “tracks in the illimitable void” to mean the orbital paths of celestial giants like the Sun and the Earth, a piece of their love story. I also think “bad-tempered gas” means the Sun was going through the grumps. I guess that’s the part of the story where he was dumped. :p

More Correspondence tidbits:
“You restrict your laterna magica slides to brief glimpses of the safer symbols, such as ‘the absorption of a Royal house’ and ‘the act of kidnapping a new friend’.” (from holding a Correspondence lecture at the University)
Small hints about the Second City are scattered everywhere. After thousands of years, the Masters are still furious. Gosh, they sure know how to hold a grudge! It’s vigorously discussed here:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic23-fallen-cities-a-great-many-spoilers.aspx
I figure the “absorption of a Royal house” snippet is part of the Second City’s tale of love, betrayal and woe. You might first think it’s related to the Fifth City, and it could apply, but I think it’s an allusion to the Second. I’m still wondering about the “act of kidnapping a new friend”. Haha, what now? I would like to know whose love story features that as a key point. Maybe it’s a Third or Fourth(!) City tale. I recall something similar from playing through the Silver Tree.

Okay, I’m gonna throw a wild and baseless theory out here on storytelling and anthropomorphism:
[calm start of theory] Myths are stories that usually consist of gods and other majestic creatures performing magnificent feats, creation being at the top of such feats. A common literary definition of a myth is that it’s a story made to explain the creations of humans, other animals, the lands and the rest of the world. “This So-and-So mythological creature gave us fire, put the stars in the sky, gave birth to us, and so on.” These creation myths are generally considered to be fancy lies. The real creation is humans thinking up and giving (oral & written) form to the thoughts in their heads (trickster gods with the bodies of foxes and spiders, authoritative gods with the heads of birds, etc.); humans are the ones doing the birthing and attributing human qualities to figments of imagination. [middling lunacy creeping in] Well, since I’m playing Fallen London, I’ll speculate that the Sun and Earth are the original conscious thinkers and feelers of our world. Before humans were humans, they were apes with basic thoughts. Then the Sun and Earth infected us with their emotions and now we’re humans. Better yet, we began as figments of their imagination which they later gave physical bodies and personality traits. Think of the L.B.'s, the ravens, the cats and other highly sentient creatures of the Neath. Here, it’s difficult for the Earth to hide the fact that she’s a fully thinking and feeling creature. She infects us with hormones that lead to higher thinking! [/end of wild and baseless theory]

On a serious note, I can’t believe you guys… 2 pages and not a single Big Bang joke to be had? Bah.

[color=#009900]Fourteen people now have a Mirrorcatch Box.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]One of the things the Bazaar will say tomorrow at http://www.twitter.com/echobazaar is a clue.[/color]

So they ARE still obtainable, at least. That’s… good to know.

soon everyone will have their own mirrorcatch box. a mirrorcatch box in every home, a rat in every mailbox.

Although I got all the companions I wanted, I went out of town and with no internet access, I apparently missed the end of the feast. Is there a card you got or was it a storylet; am I just out of luck?

I wonder what connection there is, if any, between “living on in the heart of the Sun” and “since the Bazaar was between stars”… I have no theory worth a maniac’s prayer, but it’s something to consider.

Anyone tried any locations overseas? The recent Tweet leads me to believe Polythemere may hold the secret, and would explain why so few have the box.

Well, that was…vague.

People have gone to both Polythreme and the Iron Republic, but no dice.

Although, I actually think that the clue might be pointing away from Polythreme? It says to trust the Bazaar, not the Clay Men… Or is the important part trusting something “nothing at all like [us]”? I’m confused.

The tweet makes me want to check the Mirrors and Clay card, even though there’s probably nothing new or different there. I’m thinking there’s another tweet coming with more information.

Edit: Okay, definitely not the Mirror and Clay card. Not that I thought there was a chance of that being the case, but I checked anyways. XD
edited by Sara Hysaro on 3/6/2013

I’ve found this clue, that could be the sort of box we’re looking for. It also talks about a place where rivers run backwards and rain falls from the ground to the sky, and a conspiracy to “blow up time”… could be the Iron Republic, or the Mind of a Dead God?

But the clay man tweet was tweeted yesterday… It’s today that Alexis is going to drop the clue! Unless he’s messing with us. He wouldn’t mess with us… would he?

I take it you don’t know much about Alex. :)

I was making wot is technically known as a joke :) I think the latest tweet might be the clue!

Oh! I wonder if the box is to be found in Wilmot’s End? The missing woman there is Clathermont’s daughter, if I remember rightly.
edited by Lady Red on 3/6/2013

[quote=Lady Red]I was making wot is technically known as a joke :) I think the latest tweet might be the clue!

Oh! I wonder if the box is to be found in Wilmot’s End? The missing woman there is Clathermont’s daughter, if I remember rightly.
edited by Lady Red on 3/6/2013[/quote]

…I take it this is more PoSI content? Le Sigh.

[quote=Lady Red]
edited by Lady Red on 3/6/2013[/quote]

His wife - one or more of his daughters do go missing at one point or another, but that’s just youthful hijinks. It’s his wife who’s stayed away. The Wilmot crowd seemed to hint that she was headed to the Surface, but perhaps it was something higher up she was interested in…

I don’t think it’s specifically PoSI, but it is high-level content. Might very well not be that though - currently it’s just a theory! Will head over there to check it out once I’m out of the mirror marches, which has so far not yielded up any flavour of box.
edited by Lady Red on 3/6/2013